PDA

View Full Version : A FEEDING RAW QUESTION

bigpopdog
07-23-2013, 06:10 AM
HOW DO YOU GET A DOG TO EAT RAW WHEN ALL THEY DO IS WALK AWAY FROM IT AS SOON AS YOU PUT IT DOWN...LEG QUARTER, RIBEYE, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER, THE BITCH SMELLS IT AND JUST WALKS AWAY FROM IT (THE ONLY THING THE BITCH IS MISSING IS A HAZMAT SUIT,LOL), SHE WON'T EVEN LICK IT...ANY SUGGESTIONS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

skipper
07-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Are you sure u got a dog? Never ever heard of a dog turning down meat. On a serious note i would give her a bowl of raw, if shes not eating just pick it up and try next day. Eventually she will be hungry enough.

DOGNMAN
07-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Try to give your dog smaller portions of whatever you are feeding, a dog that gets too much food wont be interested...especially one that's used to feed on dog pellets. Just give a hand full pellets and start introducing the raw..a dog should always and quickly finish his bowl of food..

MEAUXTIVATION
07-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Are you sure u got a dog? Never ever heard of a dog turning down meat. On a serious note i would give her a bowl of raw, if shes not eating just pick it up and try next day. Eventually she will be hungry enough. ^ What he said, I'd probably just leave a lil bit of organ meat (chicken gizzard/heart) and she will eventually eat it. If she don't eat anything after two days, something must be wrong because I don't know of any hound that won't eat organ meat. Once she starts eating raw, she will love it and you won't have to worry about her appetite. My lil bitch love feed time. Lol. Good luck with her.

CRISIS
07-23-2013, 09:44 AM
dogs wont starve themselves..... drizzle a little bacon grease over it.... if the dont eat it... pick it up throw it in the fridge and try again tomorrow......... they will eventually eat it.... mine were reluctant at first also

bigpopdog
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Are you sure u got a dog? Never ever heard of a dog turning down meat.

lol YEA THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING, I WAS BUGGING

Try to give your dog smaller portions of whatever you are feeding, a dog that gets too much food wont be interested...especially one that's used to feed on dog pellets. Just give a hand full pellets and start introducing the raw..a dog should always and quickly finish his bowl of food..

WHEN I FIRST STARTED I GRADUALLY STARTED THE TRANSITION...I GAVE HER LITTLE LESS KIBBLE AND A LITTLE BIT OF RAW, THIS BITCH WOULDN'T EVEN MOVE IT (RAW) OUT OF THE WAY TO GET TO THE KIBBLE BUT WHEN I BRING THE BOWL WITH JUST KIBBLE SHE'LL EAT IT UP...I DIDN'T WANT TO GO THE "LET HER STAY HUNGRY" UNTIL SHE EATS IT ROUTE...BUT I WILL TAKE ANOTHER STAB AT IT BECAUSE I KNOW ON RAW THIS BITCH WOULD LOOK AWESOME (CAUSE SHE HAS THAT BODY TYPE)..AND ALSO IT'S BAD WHEN THE WHOLE YARD IS EATING RAW AND I STILL HAVE TO BUY A BAG A KIBBLE FOR 1 DOG LOL.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS FELLAS..

SGC
07-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I knew a fellow a few yrs ago whose dog refused to eat raw chicken and just walked away from it.

He ended up putting the chicken quarter in a frying pan and searing it on both sides a little bit. By lightly cooking it, then the dog ate it and he was able to feed the lightly cooked raw for a time and then gradually cooking it less and less until the dog ate it raw and then that dog was fine with it.

So maybe try cooking it a little in a hot pan with some oil, let it cool and fed her that. Most dogs like cooked chicken, you just cook it a little so they try it and then cook it less so they get used to eating it raw.

Raw feeding is good for them but sometimes you have to think outside the box to get them started on it. Good luck!

AmericanDogMan
07-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Good chicken bones is not a good idea. Remove the meat from the bone.

Cooked bones splinter and kill a dog

FrostyPaws
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Lightly frying a chicken quarter isn't cooking the bone, so that's not an issue.

AmericanDogMan
07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Lightly frying a chicken quarter isn't cooking the bone, so that's not an issue.

I wouldn't risk it... JMO

Remove the meat from bone... Cook the meat and then throw the raw bone to the dog
---

I still haven't run up on a dog that wouldn't just eat raw... Hoping the best

-ADM

Officially Retired
07-26-2013, 09:58 AM
LMAO, and I have never run up on a bulldog (hell, even a puppy) that wouldn't immediately devour a raw piece of chicken :idea:

I would almost question the true prey drive of any dog that would just sniff dead meat and walk away ... many of my dogs were dangerous to me once they started eating raw flesh :exclamation:

The only dog I can visualize walking away from raw flesh would be some kind of huge, fat lap dog :lol:

In stark contrast to what's being described here, my Silverback dog would take your arm off at the elbow if you tried to hand him a piece of raw chicken :rotflmao:

Jack

Officially Retired
07-26-2013, 10:00 AM
I do think the idea of cooking the meat, or adding grease, is a good idea ... for a finicky eater ... as dogs really seem to like chicken grease.

But hell, mine really like raw chicken too.,

EWO
07-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I am thinking of an over fed dog myself. Nothing personal but the only dogs I have ever seen that would not eat at any given time were dogs that were over fed from the beginning. My dogs are trim and well fed but will eat whatever hits the pan whenever it hits the pan. I would think most dogs would be the same. My dogs can smell them from a ways off. I got a few that can catch a chicken quarter or chicken back out of mid air. I would think if a dog is not interested in chicken today, he most definitely will be in two or three days.
My G-pops use to say this all the time. I don't buy that expensive stuff my dogs eat turnip salad. Some guy says my dogs won't eat turnip salad. G-pops would then say, "mine wouldn't either....the first three days. EWO

AmericanDogMan
07-26-2013, 12:22 PM
I am thinking of an over fed dog myself. Nothing personal but the only dogs I have ever seen that would not eat at any given time were dogs that were over fed from the beginning. My dogs are trim and well fed but will eat whatever hits the pan whenever it hits the pan. I would think most dogs would be the same. My dogs can smell them from a ways off. I got a few that can catch a chicken quarter or chicken back out of mid air. I would think if a dog is not interested in chicken today, he most definitely will be in two or three days.
My G-pops use to say this all the time. I don't buy that expensive stuff my dogs eat turnip salad. Some guy says my dogs won't eat turnip salad. G-pops would then say, "mine wouldn't either....the first three days. EWO

:D

bigpopdog
07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
LMAO, and I have never run up on a bulldog (hell, even a puppy) that wouldn't immediately devour a raw piece of chicken :idea:

I would almost question the true prey drive of any dog that would just sniff dead meat and walk away ... many of my dogs were dangerous to me once they started eating raw flesh :exclamation:

The only dog I can visualize walking away from raw flesh would be some kind of huge, fat lap dog :lol:

In stark contrast to what's being described here, my Silverback dog would take your arm off at the elbow if you tried to hand him a piece of raw chicken :rotflmao:

Jack

DAMN JACK THAT'S WHY YOU WANTED ME TO POST THIS ON THE BOARD SO YOU CAN MAKE FUN OF MY DOG, LOL....NAH SHE'S FAR FROM A FAT LAP DOG, AND HER PREY DRIVE IS JUST FINE, PUT IT THIS WAY SHES GOES APE SHIT WHEN A LIVE CHICKEN COMES OVER MY FENCE AND FOR ANYTHING ELSE THAT'S ON THE OTHERSIDE OF IT.

HERE SHE IS..I KNOW ONCE I GET HER ON THIS RAW SHE'S GOIN TO LOOK 10X BETTER.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/bulldog_profile.php?dog_id=19540

Officially Retired
07-26-2013, 05:36 PM
No, no, just messing with you.

Seriously, I think the cooking idea is a good one ... it does smell/taste better to me too ... just not as good for a dog.

Nice pedigree, btw. She looks long and lanky (not fat but kinda smooth), but a real shiny coat.

bigpopdog
07-27-2013, 05:06 AM
No, no, just messing with you.

Seriously, I think the cooking idea is a good one ... it does smell/taste better to me too ... just not as good for a dog.

Nice pedigree, btw. She looks long and lanky (not fat but kinda smooth), but a real shiny coat.

THANKS JACK.. ."GOOD NEWS EVERYONE" LOL, SHE ATE IT TODAY. I THINK SHE JUST WANTS TO ACT LIKE A LITTLE HUMAN CHILD BY HAVING IT CHOPPED UP MORE THAN JUST THE 2 PIECES, HEY I COULD CARE LESS AS LONG AS SHE'S EATING IT.. ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR IDEAS..