PDA

View Full Version : Worms or Pot belly

bently
08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
my pups are now 8 weeks and doing great. At about 6 weeks I dewormed them out, because I was seeing worms in their stools, loose stools, ROUND stomachs and not as active. I used nemex-2 it it got rid of their worms, they where active, stools where normal and I continue to worm them about every 4-5 days until they are about 10 weeks. BUT when done feeding there stomachs continue to get round, I thought it was just puppy potbelly, but any advise would help

evolutionkennels
08-06-2013, 05:40 AM
U need to buy jacks bible. Nemex is good for rounds. But you started worming way too late. Plus the way you are working them is just making the worms resistant. The DIRECTIONS are important. Rounds have a 14 day cycle. So it only males sense to worm them at two week intervals. It makes no sense to do it 4 days in a row. That's how you use panacur, not Nemex (strongid). THERE IS A LOT TO BE SAID FOR READ ING AND FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS! On a last note, worming them at 6 weeks old is just asking for trouble. I personally worm with strongid t at 3, 5, and 7 weeks. Then a week later 3 days in a row of panacur for safe measure. At 10 weeks 1/4 cc ivermectin under the skin. You need to worm all puppies, regardless of whether you see the worms or not.

bently
08-06-2013, 07:27 AM
thnx for your advise evo. I was never into breeding dogs only working them so this is my first litter. But I am learning alot little by little from this board and the members.

Officially Retired
08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Aside from what Evo said, and since the mama is the one who passes-on her worms to the pups, the truth is proper worming of the pups begins with proper worming of the bitch before conception, during gestation, and after whelping ... all of this will ensure that your pups get minimal worm transmission from her to them ... before you even begin to talk about worming the pups themselves :idea:

Keeping the mama in an above-ground pen, and swapping her to a new pen every day (while you clean-out the dirty one) is also a great way to keep worms to a minimum ...

By contrast, if the mama isn't wormed, and if she's being kept in a dirt-floor pen, or even a cement-floor pen, she will be nothing but a massive worm factory passing hundreds of thousands of worm eggs onto her pups ... and her pups will become the same thing.

So, since you don't want to hit your hip pocket and learn everything at once, you might want to read this article (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/content.php?169) for some more info. Just bits and pieces from my book.

Jack

evolutionkennels
08-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Aside from what Evo said, and since the mama is the one who passes-on her worms to the pups, the truth is proper worming of the pups begins with proper worming of the bitch before conception, during gestation, and after whelping ... all of this will ensure that your pups get minimal worm transmission from her to them ... before you even begin to talk about worming the pups themselves :idea:

Keeping the mama in an above-ground pen, and swapping her to a new pen every day (while you clean-out the dirty one) is also a great way to keep worms to a minimum ...

By contrast, if the mama isn't wormed, and if she's being kept in a dirt-floor pen, or even a cement-floor pen, she will be nothing but a massive worm factory passing hundreds of thousands of worm eggs onto her pups ... and her pups will become the same thing.

So, since you don't want to hit your hip pocket and learn everything at once, you might want to read this article (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/content.php?169) for some more info. Just bits and pieces from my book.

Jack

My vet at Brittmore animal clinic said that you can worm the bitch EVERY DAY with Panacur after day 45 of the pregnancy and you wont have a single worm. You do this up until the pups are two weeks old. This is a new recommendation that I have never heard of until now. It males sense however

To prevent transplacental and transmammary transmission of somatic T. canis and A. caninum in the pregnant female.
Dose:50 mg per kg PO once daily from the 40th day of gestation to the 14th day of lactation.