PDA

View Full Version : RAW QUESTION-WILD BOAR

CRISIS
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Question for the Raw Feeders......
so....... i just came up on about 75lbs of wild hog innards...... i know pig fat is the hardest to digest for dogs... i also know there is a certain parasite that hoggs carry that is hard to kill, so my question is this.. IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE THIS SAFE FOR MY DOGS CONSUMPTION?? i mean hell, ill freeze this stuff for a month if need be..... id hate to see it go to waste as it would last me roughly 3 months or so worth of raw feed supplement..... i guess it could be coyote bait if worst came to worst but id rather not feed varmint dogs instead of my own if it is safe....... what do you think?? puree & freeze? boil it rare? or toss the shit out into the pasture for the coyotes??? how bout it jack......surely there something that can be done???

No Quarter Kennel
10-17-2013, 07:22 AM
I would freeze and then boil.
I understand the parasite thing, but I also think the odds of anything bad are extremely low. I've had my dogs get some wild hog I've killed by accident, numerous times, completely raw and nothing ever happens.

I think if you freeze it hard, thaw and boil, I would think you would be fine.

Officially Retired
10-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Question for the Raw Feeders......
so....... i just came up on about 75lbs of wild hog innards...... i know pig fat is the hardest to digest for dogs... i also know there is a certain parasite that hoggs carry that is hard to kill, so my question is this.. IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE THIS SAFE FOR MY DOGS CONSUMPTION?? i mean hell, ill freeze this stuff for a month if need be..... id hate to see it go to waste as it would last me roughly 3 months or so worth of raw feed supplement..... i guess it could be coyote bait if worst came to worst but id rather not feed varmint dogs instead of my own if it is safe....... what do you think?? puree & freeze? boil it rare? or toss the shit out into the pasture for the coyotes??? how bout it jack......surely there something that can be done???

I wouldn't feed raw pork because of the potential for trichinosis, which is a kind of worm that pigs can get.

I fully understand that not every raw pork specimen is going to be afflicted with the trichina worm; in fact, I fully understand that most raw pork specimens will not. But because the potential is there, I personally just would not feed this meat raw.

Because trichinosis 1) can be fatal, 2) is transmissable to humans, and 3) does NOT get eradicated by either standard worming meds or standard worming dosages either, I personally will never deviate from my position and would never feed any raw meat that might possibly contain this worm to my dogs. It simply is not worth the risk.

Regarding the prospect of freezing first, this is another reason why I avoid pork. If you google "trichinosis+frozen," you will also see this particular worm has a high resistance to freezing, which means you can't even get rid of this worm by freezing it. You MUST cook this meat to kill the worm. If you do a little research, the trichina worm is resistant to freezing because it is found in arctic animals (which live in the coldest areas of the world), and so this particular worm has evolved to be able to survive long-term freezing in the bodies of dead arctic animals, even when frozen solid. In other words, you "freezing" pork does NOTHING to protect either you or your dogs :exclamation:

Cooking solid will though ... which is why we humans ALWAYS cook pork 100% well done in our kitchens ...

Anyway, my own personal conclusion is there is no reason on earth to risk using "the unclean meat" of raw pork on your dogs, when there are better options.

Jack

No Quarter Kennel
11-06-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm assuming boiling, thoroughly will take care of the worm as well?

Where I live, there are so many wild hogs, had I the time, I could feed the meet portion of my diet for free. I don't however, so it's just not feasible for me.