PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Cold Females

YigYang
01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Honestly i think you never know what you are going to be getting breeding a cold female, On second thought i take that back, i think that when breeding any two canine's you are never 100% positive that you will be receiving the mother and father allele's, even though genetically you should. When breeding canines i believe you will have hybrids of the each parent. (hybrids are offspring of parents with different characteristics)
With that saying when breeding a cold female, there offspring might take her traits or the father traits depending on who's traits are the dominant or reccesive traits.

So with that said when breeding a cold male or female does it mean that the offspring will be cold as well? Not neccesarly but yes. there is a chance.

This being said the reason i brought up this topic is because i had spoken to someone who said
" If there was a 2L Q. that was producing great match dogs, I would take her offspring over another female that was a 2w that has been producing average offspring"- anonymous.
~~ i replied i was not for sure because her offspring have may not have took after her but, they might have took after the Sire traits and alleles due to the male had threw the dominant traits and the female threw the reccesive traits.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON GENETICS OF COLD OFFSPRING ?

YigYang
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
By the way i am a student at the university of Florida, majoring in criminal law and my second major is Biology.
I just do not want to sound like a smart ass but here are my notes that i took in class that where on 1Note which is where i got my info to back up my claim

11-1

11:42 AM

? Every Living thing has characteristics from there parent.
? Genetics- Scientific study of heredity

Gregor mendels Peas
? Born in Austria in 1822
? In charge of monastery garden
? Worked with ordinary garden pea
? He new:
? Flowers produce pollen(contains male fertilization cell)
? Female part produce eggs
? Fertilization produce embryo encased with a seed
? Pea flowers are self pollinated(single parent)
? True breeding plants were basics for his experiment
? Tall plants
? Short Plants
? Greed seeds
? Yellow seeds
? Wanted to produce seeds by joining male and female reproductive cells from 2 different plants- Cross pollination
? Genes and Dominance
? Studied 7 different variables
? "Original" parent= P generation
? First offspring called- F1 generation
? Offspring of parents with different characteristics are Hybrids
? Filius and Filia are Latin words for son and daughter
? He drew 2 conclusions
? Genes
- Each different trait are called allele ( tall, short green, yellow)
? The principle of Dominance- some alleys are dominant and some are recessive
- Dominant always win when present
? Where did the recessive traits go?
? Allowed F1 Gen. To self pollinate making G2 Gen.
? The Result!
? Recessive Trait reappeared!
? Explanations :
? Segregation
? When each f1 plant flowers and produce gametes(sex cells)
? 2 alleles segregation from each other
? Each gamete carries caries a single copy of each gene
? Each F1 plant produces 2 types of gametes

Pistol
01-05-2012, 07:40 AM
When breeding dogs you look for a sire and dam that can throw the desired traits you are looking for to create an ideal bulldog. If a dog has never been bred before you are basically checking their oil to see if they carry the desired traits you are looking for from the line. A dog doesn't have to be game checked to be a brood dog, nor does it have to be an ace, it just has to have the ability to produce the traits you are looking for as ingredients. When breeding a cold dog you are not necessarily breeding a cur, but your not breeding for a purpose either. Now if the cold dog in question has already been bred by someone who made the decision to take a shot in the dark, and the dog has proven to throw game bulldogs with no mouth, you would then look to find a stud that is known to throw hard mouthed dogs with wrestling ability, in hopes of one of the pups coming out with mouth, ability, and gameness.

Curs can produce great animals, and great animals can produce curs, but with a cold dog you are just betting your money on what you think the pedigree will produce. Many cold dogs have produced well, but I would much rather have a bulldog using up one of my chain spots. If you are patient and willing to take a chance then by all means do it. When you are a kennel that is consistantly competing you soon realize that empty chain spots are like gold, so to waste them on a dog that you can't show is a tough thing to do. Now I am not saying the cold dog on that chain can't produce, but when you are breeding and keeping full litters of dogs for competition you are taking a 6-9 chain spot gamble.

HOMEWORK215
01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
When breeding dogs you look for a sire and dam that can throw the desired traits you are looking for to create an ideal bulldog. If a dog has never been bred before you are basically checking their oil to see if they carry the desired traits you are looking for from the line. A dog doesn't have to be game checked to be a brood dog, nor does it have to be an ace, it just has to have the ability to produce the traits you are looking for as ingredients. When breeding a cold dog you are not necessarily breeding a cur, but your not breeding for a purpose either. Now if the cold dog in question has already been bred by someone who made the decision to take a shot in the dark, and the dog has proven to throw game bulldogs with no mouth, you would then look to find a stud that is known to throw hard mouthed dogs with wrestling ability, in hopes of one of the pups coming out with mouth, ability, and gameness.

Curs can produce great animals, and great animals can produce curs, but with a cold dog you are just betting your money on what you think the pedigree will produce. Many cold dogs have produced well, but I would much rather have a bulldog using up one of my chain spots. If you are patient and willing to take a chance then by all means do it. When you are a kennel that is consistantly competing you soon realize that empty chain spots are like gold, so to waste them on a dog that you can't show is a tough thing to do. Now I am not saying the cold dog on that chain can't produce, but when you are breeding and keeping full litters of dogs for competition you are taking a 6-9 chain spot gamble.i agree if you have the time and patience to breed a cold dog and are willing to take the the chance then by all means go for it .but if you are not 100% sure you have the space and time then don't but ask yourself this question DO I HAVE THE TIME AND SPACE AM I WILLING TO TAKE THE CHANCE

evolutionkennels
01-07-2012, 11:28 AM
A cold bitch from two performance proven titled parents bred to a titled performance bred male from two likewise parents have given me the best results in 20 years.

Da District
01-08-2012, 03:04 AM
I agree with all of thee above but would like to add a lil more spice to this soup. After you've made your decision on whether or not to breed a cold or a hot one, what are ya gonna do with said offspring? If culled correctly u SHOULD get what ur lookin for. I don't mean have a litter of say 6-7 pups and u give away or sell a few. That means let em come up a tad bit, c what they're hittin for then keep what u like. And if ur not doing breedings just for the hell of it, meaning u don't have gangs of litters dropping each year u may even b able to place a few until the verdict is in. When I cull lumber for a job, I don't throw away the ones I don't want bcuz someone could find a use for it. Same principle, try to find a non wrkn home like a friend that always wanted one or local garage that needs a guard dog, etc. Believe me u could save urself A LOT of trouble if u use A LIL of what I said.