PDA

View Full Version : Pup Will Not Eat, Need Help/Advice

MEAUXTIVATION
11-11-2013, 06:14 AM
3 month old pup was doing fine until two days ago when I noticed two piles of diarrhea feces (no blood). He went from eating, eating half to not eating @ all. He been on raw for about a week and seemed to love it. I eased him into the raw feed before I just switched him over. I thought he might have coccidia so I gave him some corid (1st dosage yesterday) and gave his second one this morning. He is updated on his shots, gums are pink, but he has diarrhea so i think it might be coccidia/giardia or some kind of bacteria infection. What do you guys think and what would you do? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
MEAUX

No Quarter Kennel
11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Take him in, do a slide. The coccida and giardia is a complicated thing,,,,,,or I should say, it CAN be. Some dumbass vet told me once that's what I had, and it turned out to be parvo.
Take the pup in, make sure, treat accordingly.

Officially Retired
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
3 month old pup was doing fine until two days ago when I noticed two piles of diarrhea feces (no blood). He went from eating, eating half to not eating @ all. He been on raw for about a week and seemed to love it. I eased him into the raw feed before I just switched him over. I thought he might have coccidia so I gave him some corid (1st dosage yesterday) and gave his second one this morning. He is updated on his shots, gums are pink, but he has diarrhea so i think it might be coccidia/giardia or some kind of bacteria infection. What do you guys think and what would you do? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
MEAUX

I would run a fecal at the vet to check for parvo. If it's parvo, then read my article (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/content.php?200) on how to treat it.

If it's not, then I have had success treating virtually every other "stomach bugger" by combining both Trimethoprim-Sulfa (trimethoprim-sulfadiazine) and Flagyl (metronidozole) together in pill form, and using this super-treatment to handle suspected coccidia/giardia infections. What’s more is that, in some rare cases, pups that exhibit a general malaise, vomiting, and diarrhea will have a bacterial infection instead of a protozoa infection—yet regardless of what intestinal affliction they are suffering from, this combination treatment I put together will handle it, even if they are bacterial. The best news is, you can render this combination cheaply by purchasing these “prescription only” drugs over the counter, by following my methods—and here’s how:

Keeping in mind that the general dose of TMZ (trimethoprim-sulfadiazine) is 20mg/lb given on Day 1, followed by 10 mg/lb given for 14 more days, and the general dose of Flagyl (metronidazole) is 12 mg/lb, for 5-7 days. You can get TMZ in 800 mg tablet form, over the counter, in a product called Fish Sulfa Forté (http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf_id=42555&gift=False&HSLB=False&msc ssid=084F2182C78A494D92FA2251F4511186) (from Thomas Labs) in sixty 960 mg tablets for $40, and you can also get Flagyl in sixty 500 mg tablets in a product called Fish Zole Forté (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4753) (again from Thomas Labs), bothover the counter.

You might be wondering how you would use such big pills on tiny puppies, and that is a valid question. Okay, so let’s say you have eight 5-lb puppies with coccidia and you want to use this combination therapy to treat them, what do you do? What you’d do is take a 10 ml syringe and load with 8 ml of water to correspond to 1 ml for each of the 8 pups. And since each pup weighs 5 lbs (and since the dosage for TMZ is 20 mg/lb) you’d multiply the 5-lb pups x 20 mg which = 100mg total needed per pup. Well, since you have eight 5-lb pups, this means you would need a total of 800 mg of TMZ to treat your litter of pups. Since the Fish Sulfa Forté (TMZ) already comes in 800 mg tabs, you’re set there, so you’d just plop one of these tablets into your 8 ml of water you put in your syringe.

Now, the Fish Zole Forté (metronidazole) comes in only 500 mg tabs, but remember the dosage for this drug is 12 mg/lb, and so each pup only needs 60 mg of the drug individually. Since you have eight 5-lb pups (and since 8 x 60 = 480), you realize that your 500 mg Fish Zole Forte tablet is likewise exactly what you need to cover your eight puppies. So you plop this other tablet into your syringe also, and then you just shake it all up, very well, making sure everything is dissolved and distributed evenly. Once the water and drugs are completely mixed together, then simply administrate 1ml of this mixture to each pup and you will have covered them for virtually every kind of protozoan/bacterial infection that they could have contracted. Only the viral infections of parvovirus and corona virus would escape this treatment (and I discuss the ways to beat these afflictions in the Animal Husbandry chapter).

→ Note: When using this combination TMZ/metronidazole therapy, I found it best to shake the syringe each time before giving to each new pup, as the particles settle rapidly. Repeat this procedure every day for the next 5-7 days. It has been my experience that these two drugs, combined, offer by far the quickest and most dramatic results when treating coccidia—and they also cover your bases just in case you are dealing with giardia instead, or even bacterial infections, or any combination thereof.

Good luck,

Jack

MEAUXTIVATION
11-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info fellas, I been on search around town for the Fish Sulfa Forte and the Fish Zole Forte and realized I will have to order it on-line which I'm doing. I believe it's some kind of bacterial infection because the pup took another muddy dump but is acting like his regular self trying to get into everything and trying to put his mouth on everything like usual. I don't wanna bring to the vet if i don't have to and will just give him the fish sulfa and fish zole once they come in. In the meantime, I'll hit him again with the corid til the other stuff comes in. It seems like he is passing a bacterial infection. I'll see if he will eat tonight and I'll keep yall posted.

MEAUXTIVATION
11-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Just fed him and he knocked it down like a champ. Hopefully, he will hold the food down and I will follow through with the treatment.

No Quarter Kennel
11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
The parvo treatment Jack pushes works. Had a pup with it, told my vet. She said she did not believe in the script or plan that Jack lays out. Says, "If this works, I'll change how I treat parvo from no on"
She did just that as it worked like a champ. She's in Childress Texas and changed the way she's been treating parvo for 20 years.

I know your dog doesn't have it, but it is good practice to validate good practices. Shit works!

MEAUXTIVATION
11-12-2013, 11:39 AM
The parvo treatment Jack pushes works. Had a pup with it, told my vet. She said she did not believe in the script or plan that Jack lays out. Says, "If this works, I'll change how I treat parvo from no on"
She did just that as it worked like a champ. She's in Childress Texas and changed the way she's been treating parvo for 20 years.

I know your dog doesn't have it, but it is good practice to validate good practices. Shit works!
O yea, I'm all about saving a buck if possible.

Officially Retired
11-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Just fed him and he knocked it down like a champ. Hopefully, he will hold the food down and I will follow through with the treatment.

Glad to hear he's okay :)

LOL, thanks for sharing that.

It's fun to change a vet's mind :mrgreen:

Jack

MEAUXTIVATION
11-13-2013, 06:47 AM
He's back to his old self and his stool is solid again. If I still give him the treatment, it shouldn't hurt huh Jack?

Officially Retired
11-13-2013, 06:53 AM
No, I wouldn't give him the treatment if he's okay and eating, but that's great that he is :)

MEAUXTIVATION
11-13-2013, 07:24 AM
No, I wouldn't give him the treatment if he's okay and eating, but that's great that he is :)
Cool deal and thanks.