PDA

View Full Version : 24month old male wont run mill and ect....

KOLLERBLOOD
01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
ok I have a 24month male acts like a monster on a chain and will hit anything at my house... so i gave him to a good dog man to play with but....... after 2weeks of walking 1 hr aday and ridding to work and ect... they try the mill he has no instrest in a mill even food in front or another dog. he brought him in the house and he is freak right out. its my falut cause i never let my chain dogs in the house, but hes goes in the basement from time to time and run around and ect.... he doenst bond with other people like he does with me and my girl... no one other than us have ever had anyone feed the yard or walk dogs or even see people... he's not nippy or anything just scared? is it cause of a new person or the city or just being away?

Officially Retired
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
ok I have a 24month male acts like a monster on a chain and will hit anything at my house... so i gave him to a good dog man to play with but....... after 2weeks of walking 1 hr aday and ridding to work and ect... they try the mill he has no instrest in a mill even food in front or another dog. he brought him in the house and he is freak right out. its my falut cause i never let my chain dogs in the house, but hes goes in the basement from time to time and run around and ect.... he doenst bond with other people like he does with me and my girl... no one other than us have ever had anyone feed the yard or walk dogs or even see people... he's not nippy or anything just scared? is it cause of a new person or the city or just being away?

No disrespect at all, but the red-highlighted text says it all: it's your fault because you never took the time to bond with your dog, to socialize him, or to do anything else but throw food at him. You just let him sit on a chain his whole life, and while his body may have grown, all the while his social skills have remained shriveled. Running around in a basement isn't socialization; it's a brief run around the basement.

That would be like having a son, and locking him in his room until he's 18 years old (with an occasional visit to the backyard by himself), and then wondering "why" your boy had no social skills, didn't excel at sports, etc.

The dog's genes are important, but so too is the owner and his dedication (or lack) to his dogs. These are the very "intangibles" that can make (or break) a dog. Therefore my suggestion to you is to be a better, more attentive owner ... or get into a hobby with an inanimate object that doesn't require your love, affection, or active interest.

Jack

Pistol
01-05-2012, 11:42 AM
This happens a lot. A lot of people including myself do not have the time to teach every puppy how to work the mill. The first thing that scares a dog about the mill is that it is in a house or basement in which the dog has never seen or has got a chance to get use to. The second thing is that the mill is high up off the ground, and it makes a lot of noise. I use to hear guys say "hurry up and grab him off, you are teaching him thats it's ok to just stand there". LOL Boy were they wrong!

Let him run the area where the mill is, he may even walk up and lift his leg to piss on it. Do that for a couple days. Then every now and then set him up on it and then pull him off and praise him. I used hot dogs. Eveytime the dog would take a few steps I would pull him off and give him a little bit of hot dog, and after a while the dog was trying to jump on the mill himself. It only took me about a week and I had him running it fast. After that I just used a chicken. Once they get over the whole scared part the chicken will have them running like a raped ape.
I would also grab one and put him on the mill and let him stand there while I fed the other dogs and cleaned up poop, then I would come back to him and let him eat his dinner right up on the mill. After a while he was use to being up there, then I would just use hide or what ever to get him to run.

The very best way to get them to run a slatmill is to buy a carpet mill, This is lower to the goung and much more quiet, and after they run that for a while they will do the same on a slatmill.

Officially Retired
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Interesting advice & nice to have you onboard ;)

Bojacc357
01-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I put mine on a emill first that want work the carpet or slat. After a week or 2 of do this for a hour or better there mind is train to hit the mill and go. Don't make they run it just a nice pace.

bolero
01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
some dogs will just plain not run a mill i taught one of my dogs as a pup and he is not afraid of it he will jump right up there and will run all out for about ten seconds then just look around, now mayb it is because i also take him out side all the time in the woods and for bike rides so he simply might be bored but bottom line is some dogs just dont care for running in place

Crofab
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
For a long time, I never really taught young animals the benefits of working at a younger age for various reasons with the main one being I was lazy. I try to instill a work ethic in all of my young dogs now simply to make it easier for me.

I begin teaching them how to flirtpole which the majority of them absolutely love. After they have that down to a puppy science, I move them over to a spring pole. Whatever bait I start off using with the springpole is the one I always keep for that particular set of dogs. Once they're rocking and rolling those two particular exercises, I move them over to my catmill. This is the one exercise that I've found a great majority of dogs will do even if they won't run a regular slatmill. They're on the ground, feet planted firmly. It makes very little noise, and they can run it exactly how they want.

Once I have them doing those three, then I move on the slatmill as it's usually the hardest one for them to get used to doing for reasons already listed.

Hurstmob
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
:arrow:

Strip
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
There never to old to learn. I have a dog that i got a little over a year he would not run the treadmill ether. I put him on there and he would just grasp it. So the next day i put him on he does the same thing again. The next couple of day i put him on after i put another dog on there that runs it a let him see and praise the dog that was running. He still did the same thing. So i repeated this for a couple weeks. One day he start moving it i seen this, so while it look fun to him but he was still kind of cautious, before it got to be not fun to him i took him off and praise him. After awhile of this he started to run the mill ;) One time he was running wide open and all of a sudden stop, it was like he wanted to see what would happen if he would stop. He seen that he wouldnt fall off or get injury he been running the mill great ever since. Now we working on the springpole. It might not be easy, but it can be done.

BME
01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
if possible bring mill outside so he can see and hear something he's familiar with . Never try to make him run,let him settle in and get over the fear first always show him confidence along with gentle words of encouragement. Once he gets over the fear he should stand up fully. Only then should you move your chair in front of the mill and encourage him to walk. Once he starts to walk he's feeling secure on the mill. Progress is a slow process so take your time with him. He will eventually start to look forward to his time on the mill. Whenever he starts running the mill keep his sessions short early on untill he gets himself together. DO NOT RUIN HIM BY HURTING HIM ON HIS NEW TOY.

MinuteMan
01-06-2012, 09:24 AM
What's up bud!?

I know which dog your talking about, maybe have the man try this:

Work the dog with the flirt pole outside, I know your dogs know the hide, and work a flirt.

THEN, take him inside, and slowly work on getting him to work a flirt/springpole inside. Once the dogs comfortable "working" inside, start setting him up on the mill, and try to use that same hide he's used to as bait.

Get the dog comfortable with "working" inside, then try to introduce the new equipment, but keep the familiarity of the hide.

KOLLERBLOOD
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
YES I AGREE ITS MY FAULT.. NEVER AGAIN WILL THIS HAPPEN I WAS SO UPSET WHEN I GOT A CALL SAYING HE WILL N OT WORK OTHER THAN WALK? HERE AT MY HOUSE HE HITS HIDE AND SPRING POLE. BUT NOW HES IN THE CITY HES FREAKED RIGHT OUT? HE ONLY KNEW ME AND MY GIRL. WE WENT FOR SOME WALKS AND ECT... BUT YA HE WAS A CHAIN DOG. I SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FEW DOGS I HAD 6YRS AND A YARD NOW? BUT THE HOUSE DOGS THAT ARE ON CHAINS NOW ARE MORE OUT GOING AND SEEM TO OWN ME IN A SENCE? IM GOING TO GET HIM AND SEE IF I CAN GET HIM TO ME IN THE HOUSE MORE AND MORE OUT GOING. IM GOING TO RI TO GET MY SLAT. AND TRY IT HERE AT MY HOUSE AND BOND MORE?

evolutionkennels
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
The mill outside is a must. Machobuck was terrified of the ceiling fans. if you turned it on, he would leave the room. If you turned it off, He would come back in and chill. I'm not sure what it was. I just know he hated ceiling fans. If I were you, I'd put the mill in his chainspot to see what would happen. Also, let another dog run it in front of him and praise him. Some dogs are jealous.