PDA

View Full Version : SPORTING DOG JOURNAL 1972-1983 Years New Reprints for $30 up

SGC
11-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Here are newly reprinted books with all the issues of the SPORTING DOG JOURNAL magazines for each year.

SDJ books are available from the first year 1972 up to 1983 and each reprint book has all the issues from that year bound into one book. These are great for research, this was the classic magazine of the day and used to only be available by subscription if you had proper references.

These are professionally printed books and not a cheap photo copy, they have been scanned from the original magazines. You can buy them in both soft cover or hard cover.

http://www.sportingdogjournal.info/sdj_reprints.html

A good read for about the cost of one original issue and you get the whole year of SDJ issues.

And this would be a nice Christmas gift too!

++++NEW COUPON++++
For all LULU Orders -- Use this to get 20% off -- CORNUCOPIA
Just put in the coupon code when you place your order.
Coupon is good until Nov 15, 2013

CYJ
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
SGC, Thank you for preserving so much important history. Would be nice if one had all of the blood line journals and the Pete Sparks magazine to sell and share. I had it all at one time up to the time I left the game.

I talked to a UKC person about a year ago. She said they still had some the older 50's Bloodline journals available and maybe some of the 40's. Might be something worth looking into.

Plan to try some of your E magazines. Want to read that article of How Tramp's Red Boy is really bred. Should be interesting. If you have time to check on the back of your 70's SDJ mags. See if there is a full ad advertisement on the Jack Carver dogs. See one SDJ mag has a front picture of one of Jack Carver's female dogs. See if he list his Satchmo dog and breeding. Cheers

SGC
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
SGC, Thank you for preserving so much important history. Would be nice if one had all of the blood line journals and the Pete Sparks magazine to sell and share. I had it all at one time up to the time I left the game.

I talked to a UKC person about a year ago. She said they still had some the older 50's Bloodline journals available and maybe some of the 40's. Might be something worth looking into.

Plan to try some of your E magazines. Want to read that article of How Tramp's Red Boy is really bred. Should be interesting. If you have time to check on the back of your 70's SDJ mags. See if there is a full ad advertisement on the Jack Carver dogs. See one SDJ mag has a front picture of one of Jack Carver's female dogs. See if he list his Satchmo dog and breeding. Cheers

CYJ, thank you for the kind words, I will pass them along.

The owner of that web site is a friend and he is the one who scanned all those magazines and made them available. The original magazines came from an old collection that I helped him buy, the collection was formed in the 1950s up to the 1990s in the Detroit area. It was a huge collection with all the issues of the SDJ and all the old Your Friend & Mine magazines in as new condition, along with hundreds of books and other magazines too.

These Yearbooks are all actually printed books and not e-books that you read on line. The SDJ magazines and the Your Friend & Mine magazines are all in book form done by year and they are a real look at bulldog history. I am very glad this collection was sold to someone who cared enough to take the time to scan each magazine and make up these yearbooks so they are available to all.

You raise an interesting thought about the old UKC Bloodlines magazines. I will ask and see if there were some of those in that old collection. I have seen some of the early issues of Bloodlines and there was a lot of good bulldog articles and photos. I subscribed to Bloodlines in the 1970s and 1980s but then they started focusing on other breeds more so I let it lapse.

But the early Bloodlines magazines would be good to have scanned and printed to preserve the pit bull info in them. It takes someone with a full run of old magazines who is willing to put in the time to scan them and submit the scans to LULU for publishing. It can be done and would be a good project…

CYJ
11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Ditto SGC. Those older blood line journals had written articles and letters by the older 40's, 50's and 60's dog men like George Saddler, Earl Tudor, Mike Ferris etc. Frank Fitzwater may have been the one that wrote a article on how to use the round table. From that old article and Mr. Teal's advise. I learned how to use a round table with good results. Like D. Mayfield making improvements on the Jenny by going out to a 40 foot running arm and a extra wide padded dog collar instead of a pulling harness.

I was able to greatly improve the Round Table by building it out to 16 foot. Wanted to go to 20 foot, but my building was not wide enough. Set the pulling arm one foot forward of the center to keep the dog running out front and middle of table. Not falling into the back of it. Set the table low to ground around knee high. Dogs ran real relaxed and not tense. The table bed had 100% cotton felt and a carpet pad underneath. Never had a dog or young dog that would not work it or got carpet burns on the foot pads.

In those older UKC bloodline journals they usually had a printed 8 or 12 generation UKC pedigrees on older famous dogs. Could fill in a lot of missing info way back there on some of our dogs today.

V. Jackson got all my older blood lines journals, magazines, books, letters etc. including all the old magazines I copied from Mr. Joe Beal. He let a young man in Texas borrow that nice red hard bound book Pete Sparks published. Was on the 1970-80's dogs. Never was seen again. Jackson has no one in his family that is interested in his dogs or the dog game. When he passes probably all will be just thrown away. Tell your friend to keep up the good work. If I was a young dog man today I would buy up every book and magazine I could get. Knowing a lot of the past history will help one to make better choices even in the dogs today.
Cheers