PDA

View Full Version : Why

mmound
11-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Just woke up to check on pups,and seen the mother hound eating one of her pups.So I took her out the cage and put her on the chain.Why would she be doing this to a week old pup?

skipper
11-18-2013, 01:41 AM
Could be any of many reasons. Might just be a bad mother. Can also be stress, iron deficiency, calcium/eclampsia. Heard of bitches killing pups theres something wrong with. I'm sure other members knows many reasons why this sometimes happens. Is it her first litter? I would let her feed under your supervision.

mmound
11-18-2013, 07:07 AM
This is her first litter.To me it seems like she's a mother because of feeding and careing for the pups.I wonder was something wrong with that one pup.

Officially Retired
11-18-2013, 09:11 AM
There could have been any of the reasons Skipper put up there, as well as something wrong with that pup, as you said.

It's impossible to say from here. How many other pups and how is she being toward them?

Is the mama wormed and healthy? If she is skinny, weak, or undernourished (including being full of worms) she may eat them to nourish herself.

Post a photo of the mama, her pups, and your setup ... and also tell us what you're feeding her ... and what you're worming her with ... otherwise we're playing guessing games with no real information to go on.

Jack

mmound
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Well she had 6 pups on 10-10-2013 and ate one on 10-17-2013.I don't have pictures right now Jack.I keep the pups and mother in the house in a cage.I let the mother out different times of the day.Cleaning out the cage before I put hear back in.The mother eating all of her food(sportsmix).I wormed her about a month before she had pups.I was waiting two weeks to worm everybody for the every two week worming for sixteen weeks.She did'nt loose that much weight. She's not skinny.She's not showing any bad signs towards the pups.I put her back in the cage and she went back to cleaning and feeding them.When I take her out the cage she whines to go back in.Im useing the wormer you used in your video.