PDA

View Full Version : Feeding raw meat and keeping the balance between phosphorus:calcium ratios?

drz
11-21-2013, 08:33 PM
What is the proper ratio for a canine?

I remember reading somewhere that when feeding a raw diet it was important to feed all your meat with bone to keep the ratio balanced.
A chicken quarter with the bone was one example of a good meat:bone ratio....so my question is...when feeding raw beef or red muscle meat, the bone of these animals are too dense...would supplementing with a calcium tab be suffice? Or would adding greens with high calcium be better?

DVN
11-21-2013, 08:49 PM
This should help http://www.dogbloom.com/#

Officially Retired
11-22-2013, 07:12 AM
2:1

drz
11-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.

So would supplementing with a calcium tab or adding greens that provide calcium be suffice to provide he calcium needed when you feed just meat only?

Officially Retired
11-22-2013, 07:49 AM
I would never just feed meat only, but always with bones.

But, if you do feed meat only, then sure, adding bone meal/calcium, etc. is better than not doing so.

You would have to weigh everything and do your own calculations as to "how much," etc., but it's a good thing you're aware of the issue and I am sure you will find a way to make it work.

Jack

drz
11-22-2013, 10:22 PM
I was just trying to add variety to the diet but realized that chicken quarters had a good balance of meat and bone already together. If I was to offer other meats like beef, venison or moose, there only getting the muscle meat! I would not be able to get the bones and also read that those types of bones (weight bearing) are not to be eaten but more for recreation chewing. Whole fish (mackerel) would be another another substitute to chicken quarters.