PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics

Czar
12-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Is it aight to give a hound penicillin and amoxicillin???

Officially Retired
12-01-2013, 05:22 PM
No, it is redundant.

Amoxicillin is a derivative of penicillin ...

Jack

Czar
12-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Kool...thks cj

Czar
12-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Penicillin that is dosed at 300,000 units wat would be the correct dose??....this is injectables

Officially Retired
12-02-2013, 01:14 AM

Understanding Antibiotics (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/content.php?176)

Take 30 minutes to read this slowly, and precisely, and you will be glad you did :)

Jack

Czar
12-02-2013, 06:46 AM
It doesn't say anything about 300,000 units here or in the book!...am I missing something??

R2L
12-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Don't you have a bottle with a brand name so you can look up the prescription on google?

Officially Retired
12-02-2013, 06:59 AM
It doesn't say anything about 300,000 units here or in the book!...am I missing something??

What are you yelling for(!)

It does say something, and yes, you're missing it.

The article very clearly states this:

The Different Penicillin G Injectables (and dosages):

Penicillin G potassium—12,000 IU per lb, PO, QID (given every 6 hours)
Penicillin G sodium—10,000 IU per lb, IV or IM, QID (given every 6 hours)
Penicillin G procaine—15,000 IU per lb, IM or SC, SID-BID (given every 12-24 hrs)
Penicillin G benzathine—20,000 IU per lb, IM or SC, given every 2-3 days

So what is your problem? I don't understand why you are using exclamation points on me, and claiming the info isn't there, when the dosage is sitting in front of your face. So let me break it down for you:

IU = Units

If the your drug is PenG Sodium, then the dosage is 10,000 units per pound. If your drug contains 300,000 units per ml, then it covers 30 lb per 1 ml. [If it is one of the other drugs, then do the math.]

If you don't understand basic math, then just say so, but don't sit here and get upset ... or say the information hasn't been provided ... just admit that you don't understand basic math (or are too lazy to read what's been given to you), because you have all the info you need.

Hope it helps,

Jack

Officially Retired
12-02-2013, 07:06 AM
PS: What kind of penicillin, exactly, do you have?

Czar
12-02-2013, 07:56 AM
What are you yelling for(!)

It does say something, and yes, you're missing it.

The article very clearly states this:

The Different Penicillin G Injectables (and dosages):

Penicillin G potassium—12,000 IU per lb, PO, QID (given every 6 hours)
Penicillin G sodium—10,000 IU per lb, IV or IM, QID (given every 6 hours)
Penicillin G procaine—15,000 IU per lb, IM or SC, SID-BID (given every 12-24 hrs)
Penicillin G benzathine—20,000 IU per lb, IM or SC, given every 2-3 days

So what is your problem? I don't understand why you are using exclamation points on me, and claiming the info isn't there, when the dosage is sitting in front of your face. So let me break it down for you:

IU = Units

If the your drug is PenG Sodium, then it is 10,000 units per pound. If your drug is 300,000 units per ml, then it covers 30 lb per 1 ml. [If it is one of the other drugs, then do the math.]

If you don't understand basic math, then just say so, but don't sit here and get upset ... or say the information hasn't been provided ... just admit that you don't understand basic math (or are too lazy to read what's been given to you), because you have all the info you need.

Hope it helps,

Jacklol..not yellin cj, it's a habit putting exclamation marks...I understand math well but some how I have got confused wit the drug being 300,000 units....I'm using penicillin g procaine

Officially Retired
12-02-2013, 08:01 AM
lol..not yellin cj, it's a habit putting exclamation marks...I understand math well but some how I have got confused wit the drug being 300,000 units....I'm using penicillin g procaine

LOL, okay, if it's Penicillin G Procaine, then it's dosed at 15,000 IU per pound, given 1-2x day.

If your drug contains 300,000 IU per ml, then 1 ml of your penicillin treats 20 lb of dog.

Weigh your dog, do the math, and give the appropriate dose 1-2x/day based on the severity ... IFFFF penicillin is even called for. You haven't stated the problem your dog is having, so penicillin might not even work.

Jack

Czar
12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
LOL, okay, if it's Penicillin G Procaine, then it's dosed at 15,000 IU per pound, given 1-2x day.

If your drug contains 300,000 IU per ml, then 1 ml of your penicillin treats 20 lb of dog.

Weigh your dog, do the math, and give the appropriate dose 1-2x/day based on the severity ... IFFFF penicillin is even called for. You haven't stated the problem your dog is having, so penicillin might not even work.

Jackhad a kennel accident...I have other antibiotic in my med section that I can use but I want to try this durvet. I understands antibiotics in pill form and how to come with the mg to give ur hound..but it wasn't registering on the injectables but since u broke it down in this post I understand completely cj!!...thks