PDA

View Full Version : Bone deformation

bently
12-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Have a lil pup who I think has a small bone deformation. His elbows are pointed outward where as it makes his paws close together , which gives him a hard time running and keeping up with other pups. I have him on calcium pills for his bones and it seems he was loosened up a bit not not much. I decided that if I took him on some walks with more exercise it might help a bit but after awhile he slows down and have trouble walking again. Any advise would be great

Officially Retired
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Have a lil pup who I think has a small bone deformation. His elbows are pointed outward where as it makes his paws close together , which gives him a hard time running and keeping up with other pups. I have him on calcium pills for his bones and it seems he was loosened up a bit not not much. I decided that if I took him on some walks with more exercise it might help a bit but after awhile he slows down and have trouble walking again. Any advise would be great

Your one pup may have a genetic defect ... or ... he may be the first in his litter to get ricketts, and you may start seeing the others follow suit.

Ricketts is caused by malnutrition, lack of calcium/vitamin d, and lack of sunlight.
The solution is easy: make sunlight available to the pups, and provide a good healthy diet with calcium/bones & vitamin d supplementation (e.g., a little cod liver oil).

What are you feeding your pups (exactly), where are you keeping them, and are they getting enough sunlight?

Thanks & good luck,

Jack

bently
12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I doubt he has ricketts. When I went to pick him up he was on a chain spot, as well as all the other young dogs. And I picked up more than one pup , all healthy and active. He is being fed taste of wild, and he is being kept inside because of legs, I don't want for him being on a chain being to much stress on his legs. He is outside often. Around 4 times a day with about hour to hour and a half walk. As I said he has been improving with the walks and calcium pills but very slowly. Vet said it just looked like he just was Bo-leg and nothing serious or life threatening. Let me add that after about 30mim of exercise he starts to slow down and it almost appear that it hurts for him to walk. If I extend his front legs out with my hand it doesn't extend 180 degrees but more like 160 degrees and very tight , but he shows no pain if u stretch or extend it far.

Should I try some joint supplements ?

bently
12-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I will try to show some pics

Milky
12-04-2013, 02:05 PM
How old is the pup? Depending on the age, a hour to an hour and halfs walk can be to much of a walk for the little fellow.

bently
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
3 months. he is doing better guys I found out the problem and got the solution. thnx

Officially Retired
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
And what was that?

bently
12-11-2013, 09:48 AM
And what was that?

it was just a small birth defect, and with exercise and the calcium joint supplement that it should improve. as of right now he is moving around alot better than what he was before, and now he is able to even run without it looking painful in a way. so yes it is improving

Officially Retired
01-21-2014, 09:54 AM
That is a rank amateur chain set up (laplinks, are you serious?).

It's hard to say anything's wrong with him.

May just look awkward from going through a growth spurt.

But I would seriously learn how to make a proper chain setup before you do anything else, otherwise your pup will be dead (or escape) long before he ever grows up.

That is Bulldog Basics 101.

Jack

bently
01-21-2014, 12:49 PM
I usually try to walk him often to loosen it up, but about 15min into a walk, he legs are under his chest, feet close together, where he puts one foot over another to walk....it's weird. "Almost like how a man walks a tight rope"

SteelyDan
01-21-2014, 01:32 PM
You put them on a different chain to clean there chain? A lot of hassle. You should invest in a leaf blower. They work great and very easy.

Easy to keep even 60 spots very clean with a leaf blower. the Stihl BG55 is a BEAST. Great investment

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/danlee123456/1311110305.jpg (http://s703.photobucket.com/user/danlee123456/media/1311110305.jpg.html)

ANYWAY.... What type of calcium supp did you use for your young dog there?

bently
01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
we get alot of rain in the fall and winter, which is how they chain spots get very muddy, wet, and when leaves fall into water and mud its gets very messy which is why i have to constantly clean there chain spots and the few dogs that are on chains are under tree's where they have plenty of shade in our hot summer heat. i have to give credit where credit is do, those are some nice setups. but most of my dogs are in above ground kennels and pens, but some have to be put on chains when all they do is constanty bite the wire on the pens and destroy their teeth. with all due respect i understand where both of you are coming from but my hounds are taken well care off and am not about to post pics of my whole yard to prove a point. by the way, try to blow wet muddy leaves and see how far you get.

Officially Retired
01-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't laugh, that chain spot is every bit as terrible.

I understand temporary setups, that's fine, but what you just posted is a haphazard 0-effort space too.

No offense, but you should invest in proper hardware and proper housing before you invest in another dog.

A common snap?
A padlock?
A tiny stake?
An unsecured barrel that rolls with a GIANT square cut out?
Really?

You really think that's a class setup?
It would only take $25 to create a pro setup, you just haven't been introduced to what that means.

I don't know what to say about your pup.
If you've identified the problem, and are working on a solution, that's great.

But you will never have any dogs live to old age running a yard setup like that.

Not being mean, just know what I know, and what happens to dogs on ramshackle setups.

Jack

Officially Retired
01-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Will post photos/instructions later ...

bently
01-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Will post photos/instructions later ...

no need to buddy, i already have a copy of your bible and seen the set ups.

SteelyDan
01-21-2014, 02:03 PM
we get alot of rain in the fall and winter, which is how they chain spots get very muddy, wet, and when leaves fall into water and mud its gets very messy which is why i have to constantly clean there chain spots and the few dogs that are on chains are under tree's where they have plenty of shade in our hot summer heat. i have to give credit where credit is do, those are some nice setups. but most of my dogs are in above ground kennels and pens, but some have to be put on chains when all they do is constanty bite the wire on the pens and destroy their teeth. with all due respect i understand where both of you are coming from but my hounds are taken well care off and am not about to post pics of my whole yard to prove a point. by the way, try to blow wet muddy leaves and see how far you get.

I get mud and rain like anyone else bently. I trench the hell out of every spot that needs it so the water runs off. Its a lot of work.... and i know exactly how far wet muddy leaves blow. Just far enough to get out of the chain spot. Blows at 140 mph man. Just trying to make your life easier by sharing what works. We get plenty of water and with how old some of these spots are... its a necessity to trench and keep those trenches cleaned out!(like with a leaf blower).... Heres what happens when a trench gets clogged around here. that spot filled up in around 2 hours. Cleaned the leaves out and it drained in less than a minute. God i remember that storm, it was a mess out there. Its nothing im proud of it was a problem and i fixed it. Thats what we should all do, fix potential or current problems for the best conditions for our dogs. Even though your spots are temp, realize the potential for disaster is high.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/danlee123456/1365729659_zps10b60688.jpg (http://s703.photobucket.com/user/danlee123456/media/1365729659_zps10b60688.jpg.html)
n ya im the asshole that takes a pic before giving a helping hand.

Officially Retired
01-21-2014, 02:17 PM
no need to buddy, i already have a copy of your bible and seen the set ups.

Then shame on you.

No excuse in the world.

Maybe I am an ass, but IMO a person who knows better, and chooses ramshackle and precarious, isn't worth the time of day in my book.

I am sure you want your dogs to give you their best ... but you sure as hell aren't doing yours.

Jack

PS: I notice you took all of your photos down, as well you should. Shame on you.
Maybe your shame will cause you to get off your lazy ass and get some real dog set ups.
Because hiding the truth won't change the truth of what I said :idea:

bently
01-21-2014, 02:20 PM
I get mud and rain like anyone else bently. I trench the hell out of every spot that needs it so the water runs off. Its a lot of work.... and i know exactly how far wet muddy leaves blow. Just far enough to get out of the chain spot. Blows at 140 mph man. Just trying to make your life easier by sharing what works. We get plenty of water and with how old some of these spots are... its a necessity to trench and keep those trenches cleaned out!(like with a leaf blower).... Heres what happens when a trench gets clogged around here. that spot filled up in around 2 hours. Cleaned the leaves out and it drained in less than a minute. God i remember that storm, it was a mess out there. Its nothing im proud of it was a problem and i fixed it. Thats what we should all do, fix potential or current problems for the best conditions for our dogs. Even though your spots are temp, realize the potential for disaster is high.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/danlee123456/1365729659_zps10b60688.jpg (http://s703.photobucket.com/user/danlee123456/media/1365729659_zps10b60688.jpg.html)
n ya im the asshole that takes a pic before giving a helping hand.

sheesh, thats horrible, it reminds me of a couple of years back when i stayed in the carolinas, the tide would come in and every chain spot would be just like such. and about 50 yards from the dogs where pure swamp when it rained which is why i relocated. we used to have floating pumps and regular water pumps to gfet the water out.

bently
01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Then shame on you.

No excuse in the world.

Maybe I am an ass, but IMO a person who knows better, and chooses ramshackle and precarious, isn't worth the time of day in my book.

I am sure you want your dogs to give you their best ... but you sure as hell aren't doing yours.

Jack

PS: I notice you took all of your photos down, as well you should. Shame on you.
Maybe your shame will cause you to get off your lazy ass and get some real dog set ups.
Because hiding the truth won't change the truth of what I said :idea:

to be honest i took the pics down because the topic was bone deformity not chain set ups. sorry jack if i offend you but am not the type that argues on a board about something that you cannot change. yes i will take the time and do some work on the yard, but if i was to ignore you to keep them just the way they were , then how are you gonna change their setups by making comments unless you are here doing the fixing yourself.for christ sake i only have 4 dogs on chains, while the rest are in kennels and above ground pens. well that is the end of that.. i wont be posting on this topic any longer

bently
02-07-2014, 07:59 PM
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r665/doegen/20140207_161843_zpsb3142ce8.jpg

updated pic, I have been using cod liver oil, although I don't think there is much I can do for it

scratchin dog
02-07-2014, 10:52 PM
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r665/doegen/20140207_161843_zpsb3142ce8.jpg

updated pic, I have been using cod liver oil, although I don't think there is much I can do for it

Looks like your pup has whats called east/west feet. Its a genetic weakness in the pasterns, but can be worsened by having the pup on concrete or smooth surfaces. Try to get him on a variety of surfaces, like grass or gravel. It's possible that it can correct itself as he grows and his chest develops or he may stay that way his whole life. Just know that if you breed him he will pass it to his offspring.

bently
02-08-2014, 06:41 AM
its good to hear that its possible that it could correct itself as he matures but if it doesent then that's just bad luck. none of his parents had this defect as far as i know. i don't think he will be able to hunt like this.smh

loot
02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
its good to hear that its possible that it could correct itself as he matures but if it doesent then that's just bad luck. none of his parents had this defect as far as i know. i don't think he will be able to hunt like this.smh

He can still hunt.