PDA

View Full Version : Dehydration

BONEDADDY
12-08-2013, 10:53 AM
As the wether gets colder, a lot of people feel that dogs will not dehydrate. I'm here to tell you that the dogs shivers to keep warm and burns water weight at a rapid pace, especially in the colder climates. Eventhough it doesn't get too cold in the Southeast, I still make sure that my dogs have plenty of water and I also add broth, water, and Pedialyte to my dogs' food. I rotate them to ensure that they will continue to get electrolytes and the nutrition that they will need on those cold nights. What are some of your suggestions?

Officially Retired
12-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Good post.

I've forgotten about the cold weather, being in FL and not having dogs, but a dog will dehydrate in winter faster than any other time for the reasons you said.

I did essentially what you do: add warm water to the feed.

Also, I had a 5-gal container that I would put 1 chicken bouillon cube in, then fill with warm water ... then every morning, and every evening, I would pour each dog some warm broth water. The bouillon was small enough not to over-saturate the water with salt, and yet just the hint of chicken smell would make the dogs drink their fill.

Great subject for this very cold weather, thanks.

Jack

R2L
12-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I either change water 2 times a day or ill just add it trough the feed. Depends on how bad it freezes.

EWO
12-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I find cheap soups on sale, beef/chicken broth, or heat our scraps in some water and the give them a little throughout the day. I wet the food pretty good at night. Another thing is timing as well. Feeding early in the morning will lead to the same thing as the dog will burn daily calories/water and then shiver/burn during the night. In the cold it is better to hydrate in the AM and feed in the PM. Good post. Especially sine I see the rain freezing in the tops of the trees right now. EWO

AmberLamps
12-08-2013, 12:35 PM
A dash of milk added to the water bowl is all that's needed; iv never had a dog that failed to finish the lot if I add a dash of milk.

BONEDADDY
12-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Jack, I will always try to post something to get people thinking. I live in the South but grew up in the midwest. I won't post a lot but will try to make it educational.

ragedog10
12-28-2013, 03:31 PM
lard/beef fat that I get from my local butcher when I get my steaks cut half of scooping of nupro and one cup of rice with a cup of warm water mixed to a slop! also put shavings in the dog houses loaded then load it with strews! the key to keeping them with weight on is keeping them nice and warm! giving them extra fat gives them something to shaver off!