PDA

View Full Version : Forcing down tablets or capsules

RHC
12-15-2013, 07:24 AM
When giving a hound meds that require several doses per day what is the best way to get the meds down them if they won't eat food laced with the medication? You would think they'd be willing to eat a ball of hamburger anytime but I have some that aren't always willing.

skipper
12-15-2013, 08:23 AM
I just put the tablet as deep down the throat as possible and then holds the mouth closed with my hands until they swallow.

RHC
12-15-2013, 08:33 AM
That's what I was thinking but have never done it. I thought I'd ask first. Thanks a lot!

Nut
12-15-2013, 09:00 AM
It easier than you think. I never give them in food.

scratchin dog
12-15-2013, 09:20 AM
I make a hole in a small piece of hot dog and push the pill inside. Then toss it as a treat and they swallow it whole. If they try to chew it or spit it out then I just do what Skipper suggested. They also make a pill dispenser that looks like a syringe with a plunger but I have never tried using it.

RHC
12-15-2013, 09:24 AM
I'll try it today. Thanks guys!

BONEDADDY
12-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Be careful when you add a tablet or capsule to food. Some meds have a coating that is supposed to dissolve keeping them from getting too much at one time (time-released capsules). I suggest the push it down the throat method. JMHO

Steeldog
12-15-2013, 03:50 PM
I had this problem. My dog was too damn smart. He wouldn't eat his laced food. Couldn't shove it down his throat. It was a damn near wrestling match. Those treats at the pet store that you can hide them in, he'd figure how to eat the outer coat and spit the tablet out. What I found worked best for me was peanut butter. Wrap the pill in peanut butter.