PDA

View Full Version : what to put down in chain spot?

Gotta12v
12-28-2013, 08:40 AM
my yard holds water bad this time of year and the chain spots are staying muddy and wet. do any of you put down sand or gravel in your chain spots?

skipper
12-28-2013, 11:16 AM
I dont have chainspots, but gravel on sand works best for me. Natural drainage. Rains takes care of the smell.

rodburner
12-28-2013, 01:12 PM
I use something called screenings...the little xcess that shakes off cinder blocks... and it really worked well for me... and I live in bull talor.. cant grow nothing but rocks and roots, and mud!..lol...but the screenings worked.and it's fairly cheep...90 bucks for a backhoe bucket full..covered 2 spots w/10' chains with some left...

FrostyPaws
12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
If your spots are holding water, maybe make some trenches from the spots, creating a run off. I would also look into building up the low spots in your yard so water isn't standing in the spots of the dogs. Having done this a few times before, I can tell you it thoroughly sucks.

Officially Retired
12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
This may sound a bit sarcastic (and in a way it is), but the most intelligent place to build your dog area is on high ground not low ground :mrgreen:

brokeback
12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
If your spots are holding water, maybe make some trenches from the spots, creating a run off. I would also look into building up the low spots in your yard so water isn't standing in the spots of the dogs. Having done this a few times before, I can tell you it thoroughly sucks.

Good info FP, done a few times myself and it sucks but it works.

ragedog10
12-28-2013, 03:13 PM
the screening/ gravel/ and at this time of the year pick up Christmas trees send them thru the wood chopper spread that all out keeps smell down water down and the pine helps with bugs! I also frame off the chain spots so over time they build up and the rain drains down and all the pine shavings/ screening stay around the chain spots!

GAMEWARDEN
01-25-2014, 10:19 AM
I put crushed stone down about 10 years ago. After a while I had weeds growing up through the stone. So last summer I dug out 1/2 my kennel(about 8" deep) I put landscaping mesh down. I dug two holes and put drainage tubes in at the lowest spot. I poured a 3-4" slab of concrete on top of that. Then filled it back in with new crushed stone. This spring I plan to do the other half of the kennel but I am not looking forward to it as it is a lot of work lol

GAMEWARDEN
01-25-2014, 10:27 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mcx18x.jpg

SteelyDan
01-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Yes that is a thoroughly shitty job i cant attest to that. Its also a good idea to keep a few extra spots so its easy to rotate dogs from spots that need repair. Many times all it takes is a well placed trench and some leveling with a flat shovel. Good idea to let the spots settle for a month or two after repairs if you had to move a lot of dirt around. If not a lot of times a dogs chain will just tear all the fresh layers back up.

SteelyDan
01-25-2014, 01:52 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mcx18x.jpg

Thats a lot of work. Looks nice though. Ever consider small river rock or pea gravel? Might be a bit more comfortable than all that sharp crush.

GAMEWARDEN
01-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Thats a lot of work. Looks nice though. Ever consider small river rock or pea gravel? Might be a bit more comfortable than all that sharp crush.

I haven't noticed any pad issues with the 3/4 crushed stone in 20yrs . It's very giving to walk on. This is a living quarters only. I have other spots to tug, flirt, spring pole etc.

CRISIS
01-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Decomposed granite. About $300 truckload. Go get you some railroad ties and fill em in....