PDA

View Full Version : feeding only chicken and rice

whodadiz
01-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Can a dog survive off just whole chicken and rice its entire life? Any need for supplements?

The Old Timer.
01-05-2014, 01:37 AM
yes he can survive for its entire life on whole chicken and rice, but he wont have a healthy long life .:hatsoff:

EWO
01-05-2014, 03:23 AM
A dog will survive on a whole chicken and rice his entire life. Odds are he will not thrive on that alone. Scroll thru some of the articles on feeding or posts on here. Tons of information on here. The chicken and rice could be your staple and adding some vegetable pulp, a couple of eggs, a good fat source and you are leaps and bounds closer to thriving than chicken and rice alone. EWO

Nut
01-05-2014, 04:11 AM
If you want to feed whole animals only, then at least feed a variety of different animals. A dog doesn't need rice.

SGC
01-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Rice is just a filler. Feeding chicken or any meat is good but do you mean cooked chicken without the bones or raw chicken with the bones?

Raw whole chickens are much better since the dogs need the calcium etc. from the raw bones. But a varied diet is even better.

As suggested, take a look at some of the other info on foods already posted.

whodadiz
01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm just wondering because I have access to tons of roosters. They are game roosters and do not have much fat compared to regular chickens and have much tougher meat. Rice is just used as a filler here. Chickens are given raw with bones and organs still intact. I have been combing through all the threads on this forum and theres good info here. :) cheers

Officially Retired
01-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm just wondering because I have access to tons of roosters. They are game roosters and do not have much fat compared to regular chickens and have much tougher meat. Rice is just used as a filler here. Chickens are given raw with bones and organs still intact. I have been combing through all the threads on this forum and theres good info here. :) cheers

The whole chicken, with organs and bones, is a complete diet.

No rice needed.

Black Hand
01-05-2014, 09:11 AM
I think a dog can thrive on a whole chicken. like jack said, the rice is not needed. Most use the rice because it helps conserve the more expensive parts of the diet like meat. A whole chicken will provide good meat, muscles and tendons, organs, fat and bones.

whodadiz
01-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Anyone see a benefit from adding vegetables/fruits? I was also under the impression that rice will add carbs in the diet but I've got that sorted out now. If anyone cares to post, I would like to hear what your weekly feed looks like. It would be nice to make feeding a good raw diet as easy and fast as possible.

Nut
01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
There should be some carbohydrates in the chickens stomach. imo only one sort animal, even if its whole and raw, is a complete meal but not a complete diet for a whole year. Check out the raw feed boards as well.

EWO
01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
http://www.mushing.com/articles/content.php?vw=,,,620

A good article to read concerning canine performance nutrition. There is a section that describes the effects of carbohydrates in the canine performance diet. A good read. Very adaptable to how we feed. EWO

FrostyPaws
01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
The dogs need some type of carbohydrate, that's usually why folks use rice as it's a cheap way of obtaining that. Dog's don't need many carbs, but they do need some.

EWO
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
I agree. The dogs do not need a lot and loading is a waste. Rice works well as it is slower in digestion. I looked for the other article by Arleigh Reynolds that discusses the rice/carbs slower digestion rates offset the shiver-weight loss during the cold nights. So it can serve as a valuable part of the diet.

Along the same lines with the article coming full circle on feeding fat, the rice/carbs are the same. Lots of 'older keeps' used them, maybe thinking they were valuable to the dog like the human, then got away from as science suggested they had no nutritional value to the dog and in turn found they were useful after all. Sort of ironic. EWO

FrostyPaws
01-06-2014, 06:06 AM
A lot of keeps that I know from active participants still use rice in their keeps, but what they got away from simply was the carb loading as the science for so many years was thought that the dog's body used carbs the same as a human's body. I can see how that would be true for something like a greyhound for it's chosen profession, so to speak. I use rice, and I also use the maltodextrin immediately after work as he suggests.

Nut
01-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Feeding kibbles and all of them contain carbohydrates. Also giving maltodextrin so im not going to say i would keep em out. But i assume the TS wasn't talking about keeping a dog for a show with chicken and rice only.

MRBLUEPRINT
01-06-2014, 07:27 AM
I sometimes rotate my outside bulldogs food but, I have an English Bulldog that lives inside. He gets boiled chicken with organ meat but, no cooked bones, vegi pasta blend with diced carrots, broccoli and green beans, collard greens. Sometimes blueberries, strawberries, organic peanut butter but, no nuts! Cheese as long as it's not a flavored variety such as Pepper Jack. Plain yogurt, cottage cheese, sometimes I use other meats such as beef or even deer meat and sometimes I'll dry it out to make a jerky for my dogs..
No potatoes cause they are hard to digest. Dogs love frozen green beans!...Throw them a chunk and they will gnaw away.

I know there are some things I am leaving out that we use but,...maybe I can think on it for a few.
Our English Bulldog is over 80 pounds and he's straight muscle, not fat...most people keep theirs fat. Ours like to run the yard and play without stopping every few secs to breath hard and fall flat on the ground, blown out.
I feed similar, 3 days a week to my outside bulldogs...the other days they eat River Run feed and I like it a lot for the price and the quality.

Yardboyz
01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Good info, I've been looking at jacks DVDs on raw diets, very intricate and detailed. You should grab them. Jmo

Officially Retired
01-28-2014, 07:46 AM
The dogs need some type of carbohydrate, that's usually why folks use rice as it's a cheap way of obtaining that. Dog's don't need many carbs, but they do need some.

According to the Merck Manual, a dog has no nutritional need for carbohydrates; consequently there is no "minimum" dietary requirement established for dogs in a normal, unstressed state.

To paraphrase, the brain does need glucose for function, but dogs are able to convert glucose from glucogenic amino acids and glycerol, so again there is no "need" for carbohydrates in a non-worked, non-stressed environment.

However, the article goes on to say, "Carbohydrates can become conditionally essential when energy needs are high, such as during growth, gestation, and lactation." Therefore, under the rigors of work, or of gestation, etc. a dog does actually need some kind of carb supplementation, for which rice or maltodextrin will suffice.

Here is the article (http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/management_and_nutrition/nutrition_small_animals/nutritional_requirements_and_related_diseases_of_s mall_animals.html).

Jack

CRISIS
01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
thanks for postin this jack, i was debating somebody on another forum about this very topic.....

FrostyPaws
01-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I, personally, would rather give them some type of carbs so that the CNS is readily fueled everyday as opposed to not giving them some and having them divert things away that could hinder other metabolic pathways by adding a strain on fat and protein metabolism. Given the way some bulldogs are actively running their chains everyday, I would say it's not a bad idea to give those dogs carbs either. I think that's the main reason when feeding dogs, a person should look at the activity level of the dog and make a proper determination on what is needed. A dog like my Jasper dog is almost always a high stress individual, even when in a pen. So he gets more of everything in order to offset his energy requirements. For ME, it's not always about the stress of working. A lot of dogs are stressed simply by their existence.

EWO
01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Well said Frosty. Some dogs live a stressed life form the get go. I mean running the chain after birds, squirrels, other dogs, etc.. etc. The nutritional requirements for this dog is not the same as the same weight dog right next to him who does not have his drive gear. EWO

Officially Retired
01-29-2014, 08:27 PM
A lot of dogs are stressed simply by their existence.

I have had many of those :lol:

Officially Retired
01-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Well said Frosty. Some dogs live a stressed life form the get go. I mean running the chain after birds, squirrels, other dogs, etc.. etc. The nutritional requirements for this dog is not the same as the same weight dog right next to him who does not have his drive gear. EWO

In all seriousness, I would imagine that any raw-fed dog that is "always" in a state of stress would therefore have a metabolism that "always" is converting glucose from glucogenic amino acids & glycerol :idea:

It's additional work (not the work the dog is used to, day-in and day-out, but sudden EXTRA work) that can require the additional carbs in that moment :idea:

Sled dogs on the run are sled dogs on the run, and they really don't get any carbs as far as I know.
Wolves on the run, hunting for days, are wolves on the run, hunting for days, and they're not eating much carbs at all (if any).

The fact is, dogs can digest and process carbs (provided we cook them), but dogs really didn't eat much carbs at all in the "wolf" stage of their development.
In fact, it is generally thought that it was the wolves' adapting to our use of carbs, and being able to digest them (note: implying they're not used to eating them), that led to wolves being domesticated.

And, as far as bulldogs go, I am pretty sure (having fed some incredibly wound-up, intense-ass dogs in my day ... that never sat still and never stopped trying to destroy shit all day, every day) ... and having fed them a 100% raw diet ... that they sure as shit lacked neither energy, mental alertness, or stamina :lol:

Jack