PDA

View Full Version : cross posting an article from Musher Magazine

EWO
01-05-2014, 03:55 AM
This is a pretty good article concerning 'calories per dollar' and adjusting feed to get the most bang from a buck. Musher magazine is a sled dog magazine and a lot of good nutritional information can be found in their articles.

http://www.mushing.com/articles/content.php?vw=,,,798

EWO

EWO
01-05-2014, 03:58 AM
There are some common lines between the two areas, our dogs and the sled dogs. We both want the best feed, for the best performance, and we both want that food into them and out of them with the highest percentage of assimilation (less waste). Lots of common ground between the two. A good read and a good source of nutritional information, especially fat content articles. EWO

SGC
01-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Good find! Thanks for posting it.

FrostyPaws
01-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I posted that article some months ago here. Either way, it's a good article for anyone wanting to look into a performance type diet for their dogs if they can do it and stick with it.

drz
01-10-2014, 08:59 AM
One thing to keep in mind about sled dog nutrition and training is the climate they compete in...

FrostyPaws
01-12-2014, 05:53 PM
The climate they're in has nothing to do with fat being the main energy source for dogs, which is what really should be taken away from that article. I live in the south, and I've fed a dog a diet that consisted of 50% of calories derived from fat.

EWO
01-13-2014, 04:42 AM
Agree with Frosty, the overall number of calories may be adjusted because of the climate, but the percentages per meal have no basis. I have fed as much as 50% fat to a dog and I live in the south as well. EWO

Limey Kennels
01-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Im forced to say that the mentioned simulareties between sledge dogs and our dogs is as far aprts as a wide legger and a gamecok!!. pleas let me tell you guys that sledge dogs work on a MUTCH slower metabolisem and use way less quik energy sourses then our dogs do.
And sledge dogs work with there mouths OPEN being able to consume vast amounds of COLD DENSE AIR!!! where a APBT works with his mouth CLOSED!!!! in mutch hotter bad air inviroments and used mutch faster dilverd energy sourses. there is a significant diferens in the engine departmend here!!. as it al comes douwn to a diferend AIR FUEL BANG.

EWO
01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
True. But the principles remain the same. Certain nutritional requirements must be met in order for the dog to survive. Both sets of dogs, bulldogs and sled dogs, must be fed a certain number of calories that matches up with the amount of work being performed daily. Neither set will thrive on too much food or too little food. If over fed and under worked both sets will get fat. If the amount of daily work is greater than the amounts of daily calories both dogs will fade.

With that said, both sets of dogs do better on a higher fat content in their diets. The sled dogs based on science, owner testimonials and owner opinion. The bulldog on the other hand is based on owner testimonials and opinion as there are no scientific programs studying a pit bull doing what a pitbull does and his nutritional requirements. The pit bull enthusiast's only option is to research other's research and apply it as best he can. Mostly with common sense and then with some actual experiment which leads to experience. Experience should then be the basis for that opinion.

The end result is the same. Both sets must perform when the body is drained. The bulldog at the hour mark and the sled dog at a certain mile mark. The dogs have to be trained/worked and fed to be there at those points. EWO

Limey Kennels
01-24-2014, 03:22 AM
. sledge dogs and sientific researchs is neglecteble!!. the only real sientific aprochs done to the ecstreem fore a 1000.000.000$$ profesional industry is that of greyhounds. Hensh the varius specific divelopt foods and suplemends that are availeble for these dogs. the greyhound and pitbull terrier are related in GENES(interbred). coat type/ coloration , body type ecetera.. Not so with slede dogs

EWO
01-24-2014, 04:44 AM
I will disagree. The research is very useful. Both sled dogs and bull dogs must explode to all out effort both fresh and from a drained state. Developing that is how a bull dog can go into a flurry at the hour/two hour mark just as the sled dog can pull for many hours and then sprint to the end. Same with the greyhound. The research is there for greyhounds but can be useful in the bulldog area.

There is no research or scientific studies out there on conditioning or feeding a dog for fighting. Just none out there. (if it is I would like to read it). Bulldoggers have to take bits and pieces of research associated with other breeds and fit it to the bull dog goals. I agree major dog food companies spend millions on research and development but none with the goal to power a dog thru two hours of life and death combat. EWO