PDA

View Full Version : Best mill available??

creek_bottom
01-07-2014, 02:24 AM
In the market for a new mill and looking for feed back on what people feel is the best made mill out. Trying to get it soon appreciate any and all feedback.
YIS,
Creek Bottom

Lasse
01-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Are you looking for a carpet- or treadmill?

creek_bottom
01-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Slat mill and I'm thinking I'm gonna go with one from dog trotter USA if anyone has any comments on their mills please post them.

Nut
01-07-2014, 09:54 AM
ordered a medium pro from dogtrotter about 3 years ago. good mill but wasnt free spinning enough for me. there was speedometer attached to it, not one dog could do more then 14 miles an hour. small would be a better choice if you're not feeding monster bulldogs

creek_bottom
01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Dog trotter is gonna take 3-6 months I'm needing one quicker any suggestions???

Nut
01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Try contact HF mills on facebook. Im not sure they will ship in the states tho. Gonna cost you allot.

EWO
01-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Shortime on this site. Nice mill. Price is better than reasonable. If I were into slat mills I would get one for myself. EWO

CrazyRed
01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Shortime on this site. Nice mill. Price is better than reasonable. If I were into slat mills I would get one for myself. EWO

You more of a Jenny type of guy?

FrostyPaws
01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I got a dogtrotter back before Christmas. I've had dogs that NEVER would run my previous mill get on that one and run it fine. I got a large, and the biggest dog I have is about 45 otc. Everything else is 40 and under. I wouldn't even contemplate a medium unless every dog I owned was 35lbs and under, and I know I would never have one bigger than that again.

You didn't have a dog run faster than 14mph because most dogs simply can't. I used to work dogs by my car, and I can count the number of dogs on one hand that could actually run 14mph for any length of time. I never had a dog that could keep up with my vehicle at 18 or 20mph. You're not working a cheetah. You're working a bulldog. I've had one dog run my mill at 15mph for a short time, and he was killing it.

Nut
01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Im not just yelling something. Wasnt talking about training or running for longer periods of time. But full sprints with fast dogs. I've seen dogs run faster on different type of mills with a speedo meter. Could have been just my mill, it was to heavy for me.

EWO
01-07-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm a carpet mill guy. EWO

You more of a Jenny type of guy?

CrazyRed
01-08-2014, 05:11 AM
I'm a carpet mill guy. EWO

really?? Thought that was the a dying breed of men... I love the carpet, a friend of mines long long long time ago, had the Jenny that would collaspe down and he could put it away. Was the coolest thing I ever seen and since I couldn't get one like it never did. I like free range conditioning and I love the Carpet mill... Did get to see a dog run on the Gambler mills and those mills are a thing of beauty and worth their grain in salt.. But back to the Jenny he had a very interesting way of shaping a hound on a Jenny and it was genius and he got some great work out of it even some strength & drive work.

loot
01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Try an find Mike George if he's still around. Had mine for year's with out any problems. Then he was in N.C.

creek_bottom
01-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Do to time constraints looks like we are gonna go with a mill from ghost rider anyone have any feedback on these mills??

FrostyPaws
01-09-2014, 03:30 AM
Nut, I didn't accuse you of yelling anything. I'm simply telling you what I know to be facts from working dogs, for years, by my vehicle. I never saw a dog sprint, full or otherwise, at 20 mph. That's running on the ground with nothing holding them or them pulling anything around.

EWO
01-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Not a lot of dogs go all out on a mill. Even when they are really spinning the mill look at their body composition. It is like their body is still and the legs are like pendulums swinging back and forth. The mill is turning, the dog is working and this can serve a purpose so I am not knocking the slat mil.

Then watch a dog on the ground sprinting. He lowers his body, his front legs reach out and literally grab the ground in front of him. The back legs dig in and pretty much pushes the ground away from him propelling himself forward. A dog sprinting on the ground is the better choice for me.

With that said one may see slightly faster speeds on a mill where the dog is not propelling his total body weight forward because the belt is moving from under him unlike the ground being stationary. A dog in an all out ground spring may see 14-15-16mph over short distances and maybe 16-17mph on a nice free turning mill. I have never seen a dog get to the 20mph mark, not a bulldog anyway. Although I guess it is possible for a bulldog to go 20 I just have never seen it. I am not sure I would ever be concerned with attained speed as much as would be with sustained speed.

I would like to see one on a mill hit the 20mph. It would be interesting to see. EWO

Nut
01-09-2014, 05:36 AM
Just spoke to HF MILLS, they been clocking dogs at 22 mph on their mills. So do the math

EWO
01-09-2014, 06:42 AM
I think the math needs to be done as well. Take the speedometer on your car. From the factory it should be accurate. Change your tire size and your speedometer goes up or down based on which way you went with the tires. Same with the mills. I would like to know the speedometers are calibrated to the size of the wheels being used. 22MPH seems like a stretch to me. I could be wrong though. EWO

Nut
01-09-2014, 08:12 AM
I've asked him to upload some video's on youtube. Not promoting or bashing any mill. My experience is the dog trotter was not free spinning enough ( for my wishes)

Officially Retired
01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
I think the math needs to be done as well. Take the speedometer on your car. From the factory it should be accurate. Change your tire size and your speedometer goes up or down based on which way you went with the tires. Same with the mills. I would like to know the speedometers are calibrated to the size of the wheels being used. 22MPH seems like a stretch to me. I could be wrong though. EWO

Word :idea:

Officially Retired
01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
I've asked him to upload some video's on youtube. Not promoting or bashing any mill. My experience is the dog trotter was not free spinning enough ( for my wishes)

Curious as to why you believe "free spinning" is better :question:

The idea is to WORK ... and some resistance builds more work than none.

When we run naturally, our legs don't just run "freely"; they propel us (or bodyweight) up and forward.
When we run uphill (or on stairs), etc., the resistance is thereby increased, and the work is thereby maximized.
These same truths apply to mills and dogs.

A completely "free-spinning" mill is therefore the LEAST difficult (therefore the least effective) mill at conditioning a dog for a physical fight IMO.

Now, you don't want too much resistance either, to where they can't turn the mill hardly at all, but some resistance is definitely preferable to none.

Jack

Jack

creek_bottom
01-09-2014, 09:32 AM
So none of you guys have owned/used/seen a ghost rider mill? I've gotten positive feedback on the other site I'm a member of but I seem to value opinions on this site a little more.

Nut
01-09-2014, 02:03 PM
I agree Jack, i like "some" resistance but that one had to much for my preferences. Im very satisfied with my killerspinner, although they send crooked shit allot of times.

loot
01-25-2014, 06:47 AM
My mill has an adjustable drag. I had it for many years. It was built by J.George. He was located in N.C, back then

Limey Kennels
01-25-2014, 10:22 PM
HF mill is without a shadow of a doubt the best one.

drz
02-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Shipping is nuts...if you live in North America, get a Dogtrotter. If you reside in Europe, HF Mills simple. The key aint how free spinning a mill is...as long as it smoth and free with the dogs weight on it. Recovery is the real Key!!

barber
05-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Hello all,

This is Full Blown and I'm a hobby mill builder. Here is one of my mills on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/D29-WE6l_yY