PDA

View Full Version : ? 4 the raw feeders

Wise
02-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Does feeding raw meats mean dealing with worms all the time or more often? I've heard both ways so...
I don't feed raw that much and after being weaned none of my dogs ever had worms I keep them very healthy.

EWO
02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
I am going to say there is no correlation between the two. I have fed both ways, mixed and match and never been concerned with worms as a result of my feeding. I have never heard that raw led to or eliminated worms. I would like to hear other views as well. EWO

Officially Retired
02-06-2014, 05:44 PM
There will always be more of a chance of a dog getting worms through raw than through kibble.

The reason is simple: kibble doesn't have worms; raw may.

That said, your dog is in the dirt, all-day, every day, and there is a thousand percent greater chance that your dog is going to get worms just digging and amusing himself all day than there is from him getting worms eating raw, human-grade meat. You can also reduce the minimal chance of worms in raw meat by freezing the meat ... and there really isn't much of a chance at all with chicken.

Finally, with simple monthly worming, if you use the right stuff, the issue of worms is not much of an issue, really.

Hope this clarifies,

Jack

EWO
02-07-2014, 02:09 AM
That is pretty much what I was thinking as well. I had never heard that raw food caused worms so it was an interesting question. I was thinking worms stem from the dog's environment much more so than human grade raw food.

I am guessing the baking/heat process would eliminate the worm issue in kibble and I guess there is the possibility of worms/larvae in human grade raw food but the possibility would be really slim. And most raw feeders who buy in bulk do a lot of freezing anyway.

Nice topic. I just had never heard it raw referenced like that. EWO

Wise
02-07-2014, 07:28 PM
The only raw stuff I ever fed was chicken and salmon didn't have any issues. Two guys I know claimed to have had issues but everyone else I know seem to be just fine, but it also goes back to the day to day living quarters and a few more factors other than just the feed I guess.

No Quarter Kennel
02-08-2014, 06:17 AM
I've been feeding raw for almost 2 years now and haven't had a single negative issue related to the feed.
I love it, the dogs love it and I don't have anything but positives to say about feeding raw - done correctly.

SGC
02-09-2014, 11:52 AM
The only raw stuff I ever fed was chicken and salmon

Be careful with feeding raw salmon... I'd feed salmon cooked not raw because raw salmon can cause salmon poisoning in dogs --

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/salmon.aspx

Not worth the risk with raw salmon, but cooked is fine, so is salmon oil.

No Quarter Kennel
02-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks SGC

Nut
02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
that only counts for salmon from the pacific, you dont have to cook it.

freezing it for 2 weeks kills all parasites and worms, after you can feed it raw.

Officially Retired
02-12-2014, 12:07 PM
This raises an interesting point: technically thawed food isn't raw :idea:

Just as cooking meat changes it, so too does freezing meat change it.
For example, frozen vegetables are not as nutritious as raw vegetables.
Another example, you cannot "clone" a dog from frozen flesh samples (changes the structure).

Raw fanatics insist that ONLY true, absolutely fresh meats/vegetables be eaten if the MOST value is to be obtained from the meat ...

Not saying I don't use frozen chicken, I do, just sayin ...

Jack

Nut
02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Hehe, i think 99% of the raw feeder feed from meat which was frozen before. If it was frozen when fresh, and kept at -18/-20 for maximum a year, not much nutrients are lost. I would not recommend freezing it on lower temperatures and finish your stockpile asap/first.

Fish expires faster then meat

Officially Retired
02-12-2014, 03:43 PM
All true. Frozen is certainly better than rotten ... and better than cooked-into-kibble :idea: