PDA

View Full Version : fish meal

Bak2genesis
03-01-2014, 01:38 PM
i have been using fish meal now for over a year but have been having a debate with a partner or the use he feels its bad for the dogs i feel its nutritional an has other benefits what do u say?

Pit Bull Committed
03-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Can you be more detail about your fish meal? Like what does it consist of?

Bak2genesis
03-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Can you be more detail about your fish meal? Like what does it consist of?
i will post link as soon as the site is back up

EWO
03-02-2014, 03:38 AM
I used it for a number of years. It is rather cheap and a good source for the omega's. The best is Menhaden fish meal. My buddy drove long distance some years ago and he would bring back the fish oil in five gallon buckets for like $30 and I think the meal was in 5 or 10 pound packs. I like the meal a little better because it was easier to just sprinkle it on the feed rather than dealing with the oils. I believe it was coming out of the northern part of the east coast but I am not quite sure. It was a number of years ago. It is a good natural source of the omega's and fatty acids. EWO

SGC
03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Fish meal is often processed with ethoxyquin used as a preservative.

From the article linked below –

"Ethoxyquin is an anti-oxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide (called ‘Stop-Scald’). It is listed and identified as a hazardous chemical by OHSA. It has a rating of 3 on a scale of 1 to 6; with 6 indicating super-toxicity and requiring less than 7 drops to cause death. The containers that Ethoxyquin is stored and shipped in are marked with the word/symbol ‘POISON’. The US Department of Agriculture lists and controls Ethoxyquin as a pesticide."

"The FDA has mandated that Ethoxyquin is no longer legal for use in human food – with the exception of some spices. The use of Ethoxyquin remains legal for use in animal grade food."

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2013/02/fish-fish-meal-and-ethoxyquin-danger-do.html

There are quite a few other articles linked in the above site. Just something to keep in mind...