PDA

View Full Version : Raw fish ?

mitchm
03-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Can anyone tell me the nutritional value of feeding raw fresh caught (with bones) walleye/pickerel, perch, northern pike as opposed to some of the oilier salmon, mackerel, sardines....Thx

Officially Retired
03-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I am not sure about all fish, but Salmon can contain deadly parasites for dogs.

Many ocean fish also carry bizarre, non-standard worms that are harder to eradicate than typical round/hook/whip worms.

Read this post (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?130) ... and this post (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?2216) ... and do your research (e.g., Google pickerel+parasites+dogs, etc.).

Jack

loot
03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
I give my dogs frozen whitening doing training. Never had a problem. I thaw it out before feeding.

Officially Retired
03-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Frozen isn't raw.

Most worms are killed in the freezing process (though, as with trichinia in pork, not all).

mitchm
03-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the responses, will do Jack.
We catch lots of walleye and pike here. I fillet all the pike, leave the rib and y bones in and grind it all up for fish burgers for the family.
I was just curious from a nutritional standpoint how much or what is lacking in these fish compared to the fatter/oilier salmon, sardines and mackerel.
Jack, your book is awesome.

Officially Retired
03-31-2014, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the responses, will do Jack.
We catch lots of walleye and pike here. I fillet all the pike, leave the rib and y bones in and grind it all up for fish burgers for the family.
I was just curious from a nutritional standpoint how much or what is lacking in these fish compared to the fatter/oilier salmon, sardines and mackerel.
Jack, your book is awesome.

Glad you like this book :)

You pretty much just said what is lacking ... fats/oils :idea:

Here is a great resource to look-up/compare nutritional profiles: www.nutritiondata.com, and it does have walleye/pike, etc. :)

Jack

mitchm
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
You pretty much just said what is lacking ... fats/oils :idea:

Yes, a bit more common sense will get further:confused:

Again, thanks; I have my 7 week old pup on your raw diet but was looking into fish options as an alternative once or twice a week since we catch lots this time of year.

drz
03-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Twice a week is good to feed fish for that variety you need. Whitefish is good to feed em, just freeze em for a few weeks. But I find canned sardines, good enough....or if you have any of them ethnic (Asian/south American) markets close by, they got whole frozen mackerel.

mitchm
04-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks drz, fish and fishing is a staple in our house so I figured to give my pup a break from the chicken. We made a batch of burgers from ground up pike with the bones in. I ground up a variety vegetables, mixed that in with the ground up fish and made patties to go into the freezer.

Really enjoy feeding raw cause it makes me feel like I'm doing something for my pup.

I know freezing technically isn't raw any more but as Jack says it's still better than kibble.

Patterdale
04-14-2014, 07:11 AM
I know freezing technically isn't raw any more but as Jack says it's still better than kibble.

Not sure I understand this. Freezing is raw, it might not be considered fresh - but it's still not cooked, so yes - it's raw. Also freezing foods for a few days will help eliminate some parasites.

S_B
04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Not sure I understand this. Freezing is raw, it might not be considered fresh - but it's still not cooked, so yes - it's raw. Also freezing foods for a few days will help eliminate some parasites.

Patt,

I think you missed what Jack was saying "Frozen" isn't raw. It is frozen, thawing frozen would then be raw. :D

Officially Retired
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Patt,
I think you missed what Jack was saying "Frozen" isn't raw. It is frozen, thawing frozen would then be raw. :D

Actually, this is not so.

Raw is the fresh, uncooked and unfrozen state of meat.

Technically-speaking, thawing-out previously-frozen meat is not feeding raw.

Go to any butcher: they will have RAW meat ... and they will also have "previously-frozen" meat ... they're not the same.

So, technically, most of us are feeding "previously-frozen" meats to our dogs, and are using the word "raw" for convenience.

Truly raw meat has never been cooked or frozen.

Jack

S_B
04-14-2014, 08:09 PM
:@:

S_B
04-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Freezing lowers the enzyme activity and oxidation occurs. But the meat or veg is still raw, which is defined as not cooked unless it reaches a temp above 104 degrees.

There will always be the "extremist" or "Raw Foodist" who will disagree.

Patterdale
04-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Here is a place where I get my frozen Sardines.

http://www.wholey.com/sardines.html

Officially Retired
04-18-2014, 03:46 AM
Freezing lowers the enzyme activity and oxidation occurs. But the meat or veg is still raw, which is defined as not cooked unless it reaches a temp above 104 degrees.
There will always be the "extremist" or "Raw Foodist" who will disagree.

Actually, raw literally means uncooked and unfrozen.

Freezing changes the composition and enzyme activity also, just not as drastically as does cooking.

It is not just "extremists" that disagree, it is every butcher and meat shop the world over.

There is simply a difference in "raw" and "previously-frozen" meats ... and that difference is ALWAYS reflected on the labeling.

Pay closer attention next time you go to the butcher or meat department :idea:

Jack

Nut
04-18-2014, 03:54 AM
For that reason its best to keep your freezers temperature at -18celcius (-0.400 fahrenheit) not colder.

Wsk
04-23-2014, 05:07 PM
There is a sled dog kennel not far from me and he feeds mostly wild caught trout. (guts and all so it has a balance) I myself have always been skeptical of this so have never done this, but it could save my partner and I money if we did. (theres are a lot of articles with scientific data supporting the idea of not feeding it due to parasites)
However this guy fed five days a week with trout as the main staple and has no problems.
Anyone else have data or experience or just opinion to share here?

drz
04-28-2014, 05:39 AM
I get bags of these for $2 each or 3 bags for $5. There's about 10pcs (10" in length) in each bag. Whole and frozen, great to add variety and calories to there raw meals.

http://www.fermafoods.com/product/ferma-blue-jack-mackerel/