PDA

View Full Version : Who do you breed to?

YVK
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Me and a friend were recently having this discussion. Do you breed to the winner or the sire of the winner?

FACE203
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Ihmo, it depends on the pedigree of both and what you are needing to add, to your bitch...

YVK
01-10-2012, 05:02 AM
It is a given that all that needs to be taken into account but for discussion sake lets assume all the above are equal

FACE203
01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
It sounds like you already know, the answer, to your own question... lol
If you want to discuss, breeding.. You need to be more specific about some things. What you looking for in the offspring. Do you have room, to take a chance on the winner to see if he is a producer. How old is the proven producer. It's a few more things, that have to be known.. In order to get some help... I think that's why nobody is responding :D

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I would breed to whichever dog has the traits that I am looking for/need in my bitch.

The son may have mouth, but dad doesn't. Dad may have air, but the son doesn't. Etc.

Sometimes, the stud "is just throwin' em," regardless, and you need to breed to those dogs while they're still around ... and sort out which children to breed later after he's gone 8-)

Jack

dance all night rece
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
If you are constantly striving for improvement of a line and u go back to the dog that produced the ace, you are, in effect, standing still. You may get some good dogs, but you aren't advancing your breeding program.

FACE203
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
If you are constantly striving for improvement of a line and u go back to the dog that produced the ace, you are, in effect, standing still. You may get some good dogs, but you aren't advancing your breeding program.

So are you saying bred to the ace?
How are you so sure the ace will produce?

Say you have a female off the ace and she is missing a piece of the puzzle...
Do you go back to the ace? Or to the dog that produced the ace?

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM

So are you saying bred to the ace?
How are you so sure the ace will produce?

Say you have a female off the ace and she is missing a piece of the puzzle...
Do you go back to the ace? Or to the dog that produced the ace?

I agree. I don't see how you advance your line by not breeding to your key stud dog.

If you have an ace off your stud, put him in the bullpen and then try to get another ace, this one a bitch, off of your stud dog. Get as many really good dogs off of your stud as possible, THEN (when the stud is gone) advance your line by interbreeding the very best offspring of him together.

That's how most breeders do it that I know ...

Jack

YVK
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
It sounds like you already know, the answer, to your own question... lol
If you want to discuss, breeding.. You need to be more specific about some things. What you looking for in the offspring. Do you have room, to take a chance on the winner to see if he is a producer. How old is the proven producer. It's a few more things, that have to be known.. In order to get some help... I think that's why nobody is responding :D

I actually did have my answer but when I had this discussion before you are right we were talking about actual dogs. I tried to leave the subject vague to encourage conversation. I wasn't really looking for "the answer".

FACE203
01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Gotcha... So what's some peds on the dogs, you speak of?

STONEWALL
02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
When I started breeding dogs I always tried to breed to the winners I saw perform. If that wasn't possible I'd try to breed to the sire of said winner. Now that I have my own studs I breed to the producer first.

TFX
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Is the winner "cleanly bred" or "scatter bred"? To me that is a huge determining factor in the initial question, and will influence my decision greatly.

apeman
02-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Bump up for 2020...