PDA

View Full Version : Providing Shade

wrknapbt
05-13-2014, 09:40 AM
So this may need to be in another section. I'm looking into getting more trees for the dog yard but I want something that grows fast and will provide good shade for the dogs. We just got this house and land last year and it does not have many trees on it.

bamaman
05-13-2014, 02:50 PM
We use man made shade.Not knocking anyone that uses trees but I have just never liked putting dogs under trees .I live real close to the Gulf of Mexico so we get some nasty thunderstorms.But good luck what ever you do !

wrknapbt
05-14-2014, 04:17 AM
We use man made shade.Not knocking anyone that uses trees but I have just never liked putting dogs under trees .I live real close to the Gulf of Mexico so we get some nasty thunderstorms.But good luck what ever you do !

Understand that. I myself kinda like the idea of man made shade due to the winter months getting so cold and during those times all sun light is very important. So I think I just answered my own question

bamaman
05-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Good deal..Just make sure your shade is good enough for all day.Sun moves all day long so if you have a dog that lays in his dog house at any point of the day then you don't have good enough shade.

No Quarter Kennel
05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Bamboo and Ornamental Pear Trees are good choices for quick growing planted shade.
Don't know if cane grows up where you are and it goes dormant in the winter, but it grows like wildfire in tx and works great for shade.

CRISIS
05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Fruitless mulberry, most maples and there are even oaks that grow kinda fast....

wrknapbt
05-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Good deal..Just make sure your shade is good enough for all day.Sun moves all day long so if you have a dog that lays in his dog house at any point of the day then you don't have good enough shade.

Yup already looking at some large refurbished pool covers that can be cut to whatever size you want. I want them big enough to cover the entire chain spot. 22' x 22' should cover the entire area but not allow the dog to run around the post holding the shade cover up

bamaman
05-14-2014, 07:37 AM
That's a good idea but I would think smaller.You will need sunlight to help dry the spots after a rain and sometimes even in the summer a.dog may want to catch some rays early in the morning.I use a teepee wood shade house.Open at both ends not enclosed.

bamaman
05-14-2014, 07:38 AM
I do have half the opening closed on the south side.Only half though .

wrknapbt
05-14-2014, 09:39 AM
That's a good idea but I would think smaller.You will need sunlight to help dry the spots after a rain and sometimes even in the summer a.dog may want to catch some rays early in the morning.I use a teepee wood shade house.Open at both ends not enclosed.

Yeah I was thinking about the need for sunlight for drying also.

bamaman
05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
You could actually plant some fast growing trees on the North boundary of your property to block some of the winter wind.I planted pines on the North and West boundary of my property .I blocked the west to for more shade in summer but u prob don't want to since your in a colder climate .But like I said I just did the boundaries. Just some ideas for you ,good luck!

Wsk
05-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Already saw someone mention bamboo. It truely grows insanely fast. In the winter months just cut it down low enough so the dogs have the sun, but leave it tall enough to provide a wind block so their spots don't drift as bad with snow. How close you plant them to the dogs spot will determine how high you can leave them for a wind block.

CRISIS
05-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Dont do bamboo! Trust me.... fruitless mulberry provides nice dense shade..... but takes a little longer to grow, maple trees provide nice shade but grow very fast and the limbs arent as "strong" so to speak, kinda grows like a weed & are not evergreen.... if it was me, id plant some fruitless mulberry and use bamamans tee pee idea for a few years until the shade trees grow big enough......good luck.

Wsk
05-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Dont do bamboo! Trust me.... fruitless mulberry provides nice dense shade..... but takes a little longer to grow, maple trees provide nice shade but grow very fast and the limbs arent as "strong" so to speak, kinda grows like a weed & are not evergreen.... if it was me, id plant some fruitless mulberry and use bamamans tee pee idea for a few years until the shade trees grow big enough......good luck.

Why are you against bamboo?

CRISIS
05-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Because it literally takes over everything and once it spreads, it damn near impossible to eliminate... my local electric company gives away free shade trees... I got a few maple trees and a valley oak or 2 to go along with my fruitless mulberrys... within 10 years or so ill have roughly 30ft shade trees....

Wsk
05-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Because it literally takes over everything and once it spreads, it damn near impossible to eliminate...

Lol! Yes it is hard to get rid of. I hadn't even thought about that fact, was just thinking quick growing. And I believe
their are hybrid elms that grow like 2 1/2+ feet a year.

bamaman
05-17-2014, 06:15 PM
if you look at one of the major complaints with these kennels that got busted lately it's lack of shade ! Filthy water would be first and lack of shade would be right up there ! it's very simple if us have a dog lays in his house on a hot day then you don't have good enough shade !

BSK
05-19-2014, 10:37 PM
You kan also donate $10 to the ArBor Day Foundation and they will send u 10 free trees. The $10 is also tax deductaBle! U will also receive a tree book with different kinds of trees in it that you can order.They also send diagrams showing how to strategedly plant trees on your property for shade and lower electric bill. Plant trees that lose their leaves in the winter to allow sunlight to kome through. Hope this helps. Fruit trees provide shade and food for u and ur dogs and drop their leaves in the fall and allows sunlight to kome through. BSK

wrknapbt
05-28-2014, 02:20 AM
So while I am waiting on my trees to grow we went with floating shade. We took the Shade tarps and centered them over the chain spots about 6.5 feet above each spot. This way the dogs now have shade in their chain spots all day. I will try to get a good photo today and post it.