PDA

View Full Version : Sperm count?

creek_bottom
05-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Anyone have an estimated cost of what it would be to check to see if your dog is sterile or if he just had a low sperm count? Also if it is a low sperm count is there anything that can be given supplement wise or by prescription to increase the count?
Creek Bottom

creek_bottom
05-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Just realized I posted in the wrong section but I don't know how to move it.

gameday
05-22-2014, 04:02 AM
Go to a semen collection facility,one that preferably works with performance dogs(my one specializes in greyhounds).. and ask them if they can check your dogs semen..(they will tell you how good the semen is and if its good enough to freeze)..you may have to ring and book an appointment,and also get a price..

now,if the dogs semen is no good...they may have some supplements that can help boost sperm count....
if not..I use to use some horney goat weed and tribulus...worked fine for me!!

creek_bottom
05-22-2014, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the info

SteelyDan
05-29-2014, 05:56 AM
Microscope. $125
Slides and cover slips $5.
Vial for collecting $1
Bag for collecting $1

You'll be able to get a pretty good guess how much sperm and of what quality it is that way.

If you want a very accurate count you'll also need a hemocytometer type slide that's another $80 at least but totally not worth it.

SteelyDan
05-29-2014, 06:04 AM
As for tribulus. I've never got it to increase a dogs sperm count. While I have gotten it to increase the volume of sperm collected. Kinda the same thing.

SFOD
07-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Volume of sperm ? Or seminal fluid ? It does not increase the sperm count . As far as a performance supplement studies have shown it is not nearly as enhancing as reports have said.

evolutionkennels
07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I would feed raw and walk every night at least two miles. Let him mark his territory on every fire hydrant. That allows his brain to send signals to his genitals to start producing semen

SteelyDan
07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Volume of sperm ? Or seminal fluid ? It does not increase the sperm count . As far as a performance supplement studies have shown it is not nearly as enhancing as reports have said.
I can only speak of the tests ive done on these dogs in my lab.... It increases the volume of seminal fluid(not prostatic or presperm although those usually contain trace amount of viable sperm also just not nearly as much) while maintaining the same amount of sperm per ml... make sense?

Say a dog has 90million for a count... but only gives u 5ml. Using Trib the same dog will give u 90mil, but 10ml. IMO volume plays a big part when doing an AI.

SFOD
07-08-2014, 06:02 PM
You gentlemen seem quite knowledgeable, so AS I have very little experience using chilled or frozen let me ask you . Do you find that you have more viable sperm using chilled than frozen , or have you found no significant decrease between chilled or frozen .

SteelyDan
07-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Theres always gonna be a decrease when frozen. Your variables will effect the results. I mostly use AI's, right now, when it is impossible to get two fight crazy dogs to breed. I have plenty of straws that i took from dogs in their prime with very high counts. I dont plan on using them for awhile though.

SFOD
07-09-2014, 04:44 AM
Yeah thats my question does time degrade the viability of the sample ?