PDA

View Full Version : Older Dog

evolutionkennels
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Whats the best diet to promote a healthy sperm count? How much exercise ?

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I feed Silverback my all-raw diet, and I add oils (wheat germ, flax, cod liver) to his meal ... along with tribulus (for semen) and saw palmetto (for prostate).

Jack

evolutionkennels
01-10-2012, 05:20 AM
Do you walk him every night ? I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I think walking him at night and letting him mark his territory at every phone poll also gets the juices flowing. What are your thoughts on the exercise piece?

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Do you walk him every night ? I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I think walking him at night and letting him mark his territory at every phone poll also gets the juices flowing. What are your thoughts on the exercise piece?

Interesting.

I don't really walk him with a leash, per se, but I do live on 50 acres and he has ~3 cleared acres to roam around on, and he hikes his leg on just about everything he can.

He is also surrounded by bitches at the house, rotating between the 3 I have now, so I think that is keeping him "forever youthful" ...

evolutionkennels
01-10-2012, 07:44 AM
That would keep me youthful as well

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
:lol:

QCKLime
01-10-2012, 09:47 AM
lmao. You boys.....

Jack, do you add any more fruits/veggies to your older dogs raw diets than their younger peers? I've read that they give dogs the same benefits and protection from free radicals as humans, and therefore some people are starting to incorporate a heartier portion of the fruits/veggies. A vet I used to work for split her senior Dobie's raw food up into 50-50 portions of roughage and proteins, and he continued to produce well naturally until after his 14th birthday.

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
lmao. You boys.....
Jack, do you add any more fruits/veggies to your older dogs raw diets than their younger peers? I've read that they give dogs the same benefits and protection from free radicals as humans, and therefore some people are starting to incorporate a heartier portion of the fruits/veggies. A vet I used to work for split her senior Dobie's raw food up into 50-50 portions of roughage and proteins, and he continued to produce well naturally until after his 14th birthday.

Boys? I am on the verge of being elderly :lol: :cry:

In all seriousness, when I am at the top of my game, yes, I give Silverback a rotation of assorted fruits & veggies with his diet, as with all of my dogs.

Today he's getting carrots, celery, garlic, haberno peper, tomatoes, apples, and oranges :mrgreen:

QCKLime
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
hahaha, men never age in spirit, just a bunch of peter pans running things ;)

Good to know. I've got a male coming to me that's about seven, but allegedly isn't in the best of health and they're unsure if he's missed in his last few breedings or if it's been on account of the bitches he was bred to (being very old, very wormy/unhealthy, unsure of whether she was really in, etc and so forth). He also only has one descended testicle, but they don't know if he's simply cryptorchid or an actual monorchid. I was planning on basing his diet off of the diets set forth by Primal Raw Foods and The Honest Kitchen (which has meals which are composed of ONLY fruits/vegetables) along with a good supplement/oil regimen and seeing how it worked for him. I'm sure any sort of improvement on living situation and feed will surely help, but I'm looking at a lot of raw/homeopathic diets for older studs, and a LOT of them are pushing the increase of green/colorful roughage for lasting producing potential.

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
hahaha, men never age in spirit, just a bunch of peter pans running things ;)

:lol:

Good to know. I've got a male coming to me that's about seven, but allegedly isn't in the best of health and they're unsure if he's missed in his last few breedings or if it's been on account of the bitches he was bred to (being very old, very wormy/unhealthy, unsure of whether she was really in, etc and so forth). He also only has one descended testicle, but they don't know if he's simply cryptorchid or an actual monorchid. I was planning on basing his diet off of the diets set forth by Primal Raw Foods and The Honest Kitchen (which has meals which are composed of ONLY fruits/vegetables) along with a good supplement/oil regimen and seeing how it worked for him. I'm sure any sort of improvement on living situation and feed will surely help, but I'm looking at a lot of raw/homeopathic diets for older studs, and a LOT of them are pushing the increase of green/colorful roughage for lasting producing potential.

Not sure I would feed a dog (carnivore) 'only' fruits and vegetables for a prolonged amount of time ... but let us know how it works.

QCKLime
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Oh no, he wouldn't be on a vegetarian plan, I should've explained it better. They have supplemental "meals" with are dense with assorted berries, green leafy veggies, and things like that. I was thinking of making a "breakfast" meal out of the berry mixture, and following a raw diet like you outline for his "lunch." He'll be getting the same amount of muscle meats, organ meats, bones and oils as any other good raw diet, just a large percentage of the fruits/veggies raised.

I'll be sure and let y'all know how it works. I'm going to have all of his stats (sperm count, motility, etc) done when I get him, and I'll do them again after he's been with me for awhile, as the main goal is to have him collected and stored. This way, though, we can get a good look at whether the diet switch up is doing as much on the INSIDE as I'm sure it'll be doing on the outside. We shall see :)

Officially Retired
01-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Oh no, he wouldn't be on a vegetarian plan, I should've explained it better. They have supplemental "meals" with are dense with assorted berries, green leafy veggies, and things like that. I was thinking of making a "breakfast" meal out of the berry mixture, and following a raw diet like you outline for his "lunch." He'll be getting the same amount of muscle meats, organ meats, bones and oils as any other good raw diet, just a large percentage of the fruits/veggies raised.
I'll be sure and let y'all know how it works. I'm going to have all of his stats (sperm count, motility, etc) done when I get him, and I'll do them again after he's been with me for awhile, as the main goal is to have him collected and stored. This way, though, we can get a good look at whether the diet switch up is doing as much on the INSIDE as I'm sure it'll be doing on the outside. We shall see :)

Oh, okay, that makes a lot more sense to me. I do a very similar thing actually, just not as exact or systematic as you do.

If you don't mind, please post your results (improvements/lack) that your diet has on your stud as things progress!