PDA

View Full Version : Happy Independence Day

BONEDADDY
07-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Fellow doggers, this is a shout out to wish you all a good, safe 4th of July. Remember to thank a vet. Shout out to all my brothers/sisters in the military (past and present). We couldn't do it without you.
Bonedaddy

CYJ
07-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Lets not forget our Marine who is being held hostage by the Terrorist Mexican Government. Whom our President has chosen to forget about. Since he himself does not up hold or obey the laws of our land. Call or write all our Senator and Congress persons on this Holiday week. Remind them our Marine is in a shit hole Mexican prison. While they and their families are enjoying the good life, at his expense. So much for their free loving ideals they always harp on around this time of the year.

Maybe Obama is waiting to have this marine released when it is to his advantage for political gain. What a sick bunch most of those politicians have become. By then this poor fellow's mental state could be greatly worsened by abandonment of his own country that he fought so valiantly for. No Cheers today

EWO
07-04-2014, 06:37 PM
A shout out to the military members and their loved ones/family members. I try not to forget them the days and nights in between the holidays. They have poured the foundation for all we have today.

Pray for each and every one regardless of your opinions/beliefs about the conflicts in which they are engaged around the world, pray for the soldier and his family.

My stint is Desert Storm (Bahrain, Saudi Arabia/Kuwait City, Kuwait and along the Iraqi border) was nothing in comparison to what the young men and women are seeing today. I think about them often.

Don't let it be the popular thing to do on the holidays, let's give them a shout out next week too. May God bless. EWO

BONEDADDY
07-04-2014, 07:22 PM
A shout out to the military members and their loved ones/family members. I try not to forget them the days and nights in between the holidays. They have poured the foundation for all we have today.

Pray for each and every one regardless of your opinions/beliefs about the conflicts in which they are engaged around the world, pray for the soldier and his family.

My stint is Desert Storm (Bahrain, Saudi Arabia/Kuwait City, Kuwait and along the Iraqi border) was nothing in comparison to what the young men and women are seeing today. I think about them often.

Don't let it be the popular thing to do on the holidays, let's give them a shout out next week too. May God bless. EWO

I agree. Most people don't realize the sacrifice that is made. I spent 22 years (with multiple deployments and overseas assignments).

CYJ
07-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Ditto Bone Daddy. I spent 6 years in the Naval Reserve and around 12 years in the National Guard. My active duty time in the Navy was on the USS INTREPED CVS-11 Air Craft Carrier. We were then a anti submarine Carrier. Today my Ship is located in New York and is now a Museum Ship.

If needed could be put back into commission pronto. Was upgraded the last time it was in dry docks. On it's sea trial the Intrepid did 47 knots, with a tall rooster tail of water kicking up on the stern back side. A nautical knot is 1 I/8 miles per hour. The Intrepid had four huge steam driven turbine engines with four huge screws in the water. I was a third class machinist mate and first throttle man in the main engine room. The Turbines were powered by 800 degree Super Heated Steam.

This Carrier had a total of around 5000 men and a small battalion of Marines for security, law enforcement etc. Two assigned Marines guarded the Captain twenty four hours a day on the ship and off the ship. The Captain could approach you if he wished. But you could not approach him, those Marines would draw down on you and give one command to halt. Officer's Country or God's Country was forward of the ship. No one went up there unless you had proper clearance.

We had a Marine Red Line Brigg and anyone that ever went there. Found out real fast once was enough. Only a harden criminal mined fool would want to return to that hell hole. LOL Cheers

EWO
07-05-2014, 04:59 PM
I did six years on a Nuclear Powered submarine as an Electrician. We were in the Mediterranean during Desert Storm. One of my NEC codes was a technician on an Electrolytic Oxygen Generator (makes oxygen from water, and often referred to as the 'bomb'). There were mobile hospitals set up and they used a similar oxygen generator we had on the boat. My joke is that never let anyone tell you there is benefit in education and training. My reward was leaving the confines of an air conditioned submarine to the sand and sun, and not the beach type either.

I try to show appreciation when I can. EWO

CYJ
07-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Ditto EWO. You fellows other than the Navy Seals were considered the elite military men of the Navy. Very few can handle the fear of close spaces, you were subject to every day. My hat off to you. Cheers

EWO
07-06-2014, 04:57 PM
It is a different life. It takes a special kind of 'weirdo', the stories I can tell.

I went to BUD/s in Coronado, made it thru six weeks and then failed a cognizance test after being in water for like forever, and then I had to read a card and identify a color. I read the card but the blues and greens looked the same. Found out I was color blind. I left Coronado and went to Panama City to completed the Navy Scuba/Rescue Diver class and then back to the submarine. Back in the early 90's if I could have got orders back to Panama City as a Dive Instructor I would be a ol' retired navy dude. Instead I did my 2192 days, 3 hours and 25 minutes. (six years service and 3 hours 25 minutes of exit processing).

Like I said, I learned a lot, seen a lot and am appreciative for those things. The service just was not for me. I started counting days as soon as I got back to the boat.

I am really appreciative of what the young service men and women are going thru today, far more than what I did, with so much more baggage at the end. I pray for them often. EWO

loot
07-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I was in the U.S.M.C 1983-1987. I was part of mardet aboard the USS RANGER which was a aircraft carrier,out of San Diego, Ca. Went on a west pack threw the Mediterranean Sea.I enjoyed my time but I was young. I don't regret it at all. Learned a lot and saw a lot also. The other regret I have is that I didn't to college while I was in their. An I agree the Navy Seals are the toughest sons of b*tchs I ever had to deal with.

EWO
07-07-2014, 08:34 AM
I think the experiences are one of the more valuable things the military offers. In 1988 I went to Christmas Mass at the Vatican. I saw the Pope. It was an amazing experience. The kicker, I'm not Catholic, but it was an awesome experience regardless. Without the military that never happens.

Then it is the people you meet. When the guy next to you is doing a job that is saving your life and vice versa, that develops a really different kind of friendship.

Same with me about college. I wish I had taken advantage of the programs that were available in the 80's and early 90's. Those programs have been improved ten fold for the young men and women serving today, but at the same time they are paying a much heavier toll for those services. That's why I'm so appreciative of what they do. EWO