PDA

View Full Version : Buck or Yellow

YigYang
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
if you had the honor and Opprotunity to own one of these dogs who would you own and why?

YigYang
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
bump

Jrbulldogs
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I would take GR Ch Buck all day over yellow,I like yellow but I think buck produced more taleneted animals

H.B.K.
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
i would say buck also bu damn does it work great together

CULLENDOGS
01-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I WOULD GO WITH YELLOW AS I FEEL HE WAS A BETTER PRODUCER AND THE DOGS STRAIGHT OFF YELLOW PUT SUCH A DENT IN THE GAME PLUS I WOULD HAVE TO SAY HE IS A BETTER CROSS AS WELL BUT THATS ME.8-)

Officially Retired
01-11-2012, 04:52 AM
They were both great dogs.

Yellow came out of a higher-percentage litter; Buck defeated far better quality of opposition.

Both dogs produced super dogs.

To compare the number of good dogs off of them is unrealistic, seeing as Buck was owned by a man who didn't breed much, who never built a family-bred bloodline off of Buck ... whereas Yellow was owned by a man who bred his balls off, built a massive bloodline around the dog, and who flooded the market with Yellow's pups.

And the winningest, most consistently-great dogs that come bred down from both dogs are when they're intermixed with each other ... and almost everybody who has built a bloodline off of this cross has been very, very successful.

Jack

cmkennels
01-12-2012, 02:22 AM
I don't have experience with any heavy Buck blood so I've got to go with Yellow. The only thing I don't like with heavy yellow blood is they are to big for my taste.

BIGFLA73
01-12-2012, 06:08 AM
MY AVATER SAYS IT ALL ....

STA8541
08-26-2020, 06:46 AM
They were both great dogs.

Yellow came out of a higher-percentage litter; Buck defeated far better quality of opposition.

Both dogs produced super dogs.

...Buck was owned by a man who didn't breed much, who never built a family-bred bloodline off of Buck ... whereas Yellow was owned by a man who bred his balls off, built a massive bloodline around the dog, and who flooded the market with Yellow's pups.

...the winningest, most consistently-great dogs that come bred down from both dogs are when they're intermixed with each other ... and almost everybody who has built a bloodline off of this cross has been very, very successful.

Jack

This.

For my part, there really isn't much to choose between them. I tend to like Patrick stock, Bolio, Tombstone, & so on, but that's worth nothing to anyone but me...& obviously Chavis & Tant & Co. with Yellow & etc. have also left a gigantic imprint on our breed, so...if I had to pick just the one it'd be ol Buck, but it's more a "personal feelings" choice rather than anything objective. Like Jack stated (& why I quoted him above), both were great dogs, both produced super dogs, & when mixed, the blood tends to throw good dogs that you can build a foundation from.

2 of the all-time greats, without doubt.

SGC
10-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Buck was a, great dog, in many ways.
The only thing I never really liked was his breeding.
What I mean with this is, what was his "true" breeding.
You need to know that for a little while I had buck (B4 J. of STP fame took him)
Alan W. had him before that, to make a, long story short.
When the dog was being campaigned, P.P. (Breeder) was told about certain events and his reply
was basically always the same Great breeding will produce you dogs like him. Well that went on, after the
second event, same thing same replies, but just before STP got him (which he saw him that night in fact) and I wasn't keeping him anymore, that event was again told to P.P. and he told ME "great breeding...sire, etc.." as this was now a respectable event that you were able to say it bordered on Championship quality announcements. Then all of a sudden
things changed, lol great breeding blah blah blah but the sire was really XYZ instead of ABC.
This still took nothing away from the dog's greatness, in fact STP actually went ahead and said I will only talk about what I saw him do, which in reality he was over his Official W count.
If you were someone dead set on papers and breeding he was not the dog for you but he sure was a dog to build a yard with.
I Prefer to know that
You can breed my dog to a telephone pole and you'll get game splinters... But some folks want to know from which forest the tree came from that brought us that pole.

STA8541
10-09-2020, 04:52 AM
Buck was a, great dog, in many ways. The only thing I never really liked was his breeding. What I mean with this is, what was his "true" breeding.

Totally get it. I don't like it when they hang papers on a dog. Never really understood it. Competitive edge, I guess, but...if I'm really confident as a breeder I don't worry so much about what other people might do with "my" recipe. Let's face it, most people don't know what they're doing anyway lol; Vince Lombardi once said I'll give you my playbook, tell you what I'm going to run, & you still won't be able to beat me. Because he believed in his method & knew what he was doing.

You need to know that for a little while I had buck (B4 J. of STP fame took him)

You had hands on the great Buck?! That's fantastic.

just before STP got him (which he saw him that night in fact) and I wasn't keeping him anymore, that event was again told to P.P. and he told ME "great breeding...sire, etc.." as this was now a respectable event that you were able to say it bordered on Championship quality announcements. Then all of a sudden things changed, lol great breeding blah blah blah but the sire was really XYZ instead of ABC.

Lol, isn't it always the way? Salesmen, right? My understanding is the guy that bought him was looking for a "Maloney dog," so Pat obliged him by "providing one." A classic case of why you should never tell a breeder beforehand you want "this" type of dog. If that historical information is incorrect please feel free to correct it!

This still took nothing away from the dog's greatness, in fact STP actually went ahead and said I will only talk about what I saw him do, which in reality he was over his Official W count.

That's completely honorable by STP, I never heard that. More than 7 wins?! Incredible.

If you were someone dead set on papers and breeding he was not the dog for you but he sure was a dog to build a yard with.

Couldn't agree more.

I Prefer to know that you can breed my dog to a telephone pole and you'll get game splinters... But some folks want to know from which forest the tree came from that brought us that pole.

I tend to be more of a "good dogs are where you find em" type, but if you're a breeder I completely understand about wanting to know the true lineage of a dog, because you can't reasonably expect to obtain good, long-term results from your breeding program otherwise (vs. being basically a "one-hit wonder" where the pairing just nicked without much forethought by you & you are incapable of breeding "more dogs like that"). Inbreeding/linebreeding rests on knowing just who the dog's parents are...can't do it any other way! So both sides have a point, I think it just falls more to where you are on the scale: breeder or competitor.

GREAT post by you, thanks so much for sharing. Stuff like that makes being aboard here worthwhile.

ROCKET_BLAST
10-19-2020, 12:26 AM
Yellow