PDA

View Full Version : The show dog vs the working dog.

HOGBIZ
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
The show dog vs the working dog.

Don’t know if I’m posting this in the correct part of the board, but I’m Just trying to pick some brains. I know there are a lot of kennels out there who strictly show dogs in the conformation ring, and I respect that… for the most part. Obviously I am biased, probably because I’ve brought working dogs to shows, mopped up when my dogs were OTC, then asked never to bring them back because they looked like they ran into a barbed wire fence on more than one occasion.

From then on, I've felt that the show people looked down on working kennels, but I’d really like to know why? In the show ring, your dog will lose if it doesn’t show some sort of prey drive, but put a scar on that dog and you lose points. Heck, they have people out there with colored chalk making up their dogs. If it were not for working dogs, there would be no show dogs. Personally, I want to see some scars, they add character and let me know acting like a dog has prey drive might just not be a bluff.

I’ve also seen recently where show kennels think their dogs can compete in a working environment with working dogs, when their dog have never done anything but run a mill or work a flirt pole.

I’m really just trying to broaden my horizons, I’m sure had I not been asked never to bring my dogs back to a confirmation show, I would go to them. On the other hand, I’ve never seen the need for makeup either. Is this just a ying to the yang scenario?

All replies are welcome.

YIS

FACE203
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know which show you went to.. but they have really left a bad taste in your mouth... At the adba shows, I have been to. I have seen working dogs in the show ring and they most times win.

That's the best dog a working/show dog... Imho

Btw, I have never seen anyone, putting make-up on a dog... That's funny

Officially Retired
01-11-2012, 06:18 AM
I appreciate a good-looking dog, but I never liked conformation shows much because it's too subjective ... and a lot of people's tastes as to what "a good-looking dog" is differs from my own.

Personally, I think the way a dog moves is more important to judging an athlete than how it "looks" standing there.

wrknapbt
01-11-2012, 06:29 AM
I prefer a working dog that can show. I did have a judge say to my wife after giving our bitch the Best of Opposite that it was a shame that she had so many scars on her . Oh well she is a bulldog so what do you expect. He is off the list of judges for sure.

Officially Retired
01-11-2012, 06:32 AM
I prefer a working dog that can show. I did have a judge say to my wife after giving our bitch the Best of Opposite that it was a shame that she had so many scars on her . Oh well she is a bulldog so what do you expect. He is off the list of judges for sure.

What is truly a shame is that a so-called judge of a fighting breed, who thinks that way, is allowed to be a judge at all ...

redmistkennel
01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
I was told at a show last season by judge Gary H. that my dog was to dog aggressive for going back at a dog that went at him after the judging was over. I could have seen a remark being made if he were acting up while the judging was going on but most of the dogs were and he was not and under my full control. Had my dog not been ready when went after he would not be my dog today. Lol

wrknapbt
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM

What is truly a shame is that a so-called judge of a fighting breed, who thinks that way, is allowed to be a judge at all ...

He married into the family that owns the org so he is now a judge but, like I said he will never have the honor to judge on of my dogs again.

SonicKennels
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Just my 2 cents show the young dogs with no marks on them. It's what I have done for years.Gives my kids something to do with the dogs . & ribbons & trophies look good on the wall when the wrong people take notice of your animals!

chainyankersknl
01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Just my 2 cents show the young dogs with no marks on them. It's what I have done for years.Gives my kids something to do with the dogs . & ribbons & trophies look good on the wall when the wrong people take notice of your animals!
If our children don't show interest, who will continue to keep this great breed around? I take some of my dogs to shows (the ones that show good confirmation), the others just have to stay home. Scars on the dogs though, that's all about good press/bad press. I've showed dogs with scars, but I still try to stay on the good press side. I've also seen people asked to leave a show. Even saw Mike Norrod get in a fight at a show a few years back. That was to funny, but not the time nor the place for that sort of thing. Working dags/show dogs, still just a dog. Both can be one in the same. IMO.

"€¥K's"