PDA

View Full Version : Cryogenics

CRISIS
11-09-2014, 12:16 PM
me & a buddy are in the works of putting the things together we need to store our own straws/pellets. i've seen small time farmers who store they're own livestock right there in they're homes. so after searching online, ive come to realize that one of the hardest parts about jumping into this is knowing exactly what i need. as far as i understand (which i may be completely wrong!?!) so far, what i need is the cryo tank itself. a microscope to check sperm count & a centrifuge. but i can only imagine the other things i may be missing that i dont know about. ive found numerous videos on collection process, but not too many on home storage.

so how about it... do any of you folks store your own studs? and if so how do you go about it and what equipment do you use?

thanks in advance for your time & concern.

bulldoghistorian
11-10-2014, 02:54 AM
check with a local horse breeder
quite to my surprise most of them have one

they are light years away from us dogman
probably cause there is more money involved and its legal

Wise
05-11-2015, 05:32 PM
I have some straws stored at a canine reproductive center, when I asked how secure it was I was told the tank itself isn't hooked up to anything, it is filled with liquid nitrogen and levels checked periodically re filled when below set levels. He said if a storm came and started a fire and burned the building down those tanks would be sitting good.

S_B
05-11-2015, 06:37 PM
I have some straws stored at a canine reproductive center, when I asked how secure it was I was told the tank itself isn't hooked up to anything, it is filled with liquid nitrogen and levels checked periodically re filled when below set levels. He said if a storm came and started a fire and burned the building down those tanks would be sitting good.

That is good to know and would of been one of my concerns.

Officially Retired
05-11-2015, 08:53 PM
me & a buddy are in the works of putting the things together we need to store our own straws/pellets. i've seen small time farmers who store they're own livestock right there in they're homes. so after searching online, ive come to realize that one of the hardest parts about jumping into this is knowing exactly what i need. as far as i understand (which i may be completely wrong!?!) so far, what i need is the cryo tank itself. a microscope to check sperm count & a centrifuge. but i can only imagine the other things i may be missing that i dont know about. ive found numerous videos on collection process, but not too many on home storage.

so how about it... do any of you folks store your own studs? and if so how do you go about it and what equipment do you use?

thanks in advance for your time & concern.

I would consult Camelot Farms (http://www.camelotfarms.com) :idea:

bamaman
05-12-2015, 04:32 AM

Nitrogen is some bad ass stuff .We use it at work when replacing bushings on heavy equipment.I froze a tube of grease one day and threw on the concrete floor and it shattered like glass lol.

Mudville
05-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Yeah we froze rose pedals and broke them in High School. I knew Roaches were bad Mofo's when we froze one and it was walking the next morning.....lol.

I looked into this for a while, just decided to store it up in Grass Valley if I need to. I don't have a flagship stud and if I buy straws they can sit until I see them needed. No biggie here, but it is always good to be self sufficient.