PDA

View Full Version : dog houses

scary
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey what do you all think about dog house for the winter. I live in ky so it gets cold like in the teens. I have been using the barrels and they haven't let me d oown yet. Im just trying to think if it was me out there. I have no tools and suck makeing anything with wood. Can some of you tell me were i can buy some well made warm ones at? Thanks in advance

scary
01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey what do you all think about dog house for the winter. I live in ky so it gets cold like in the teens. I have been using the barrels and they haven't let me d oown yet. Im just trying to think if it was me out there. I have no tools and suck makeing anything with wood. Can some of you tell me were i can buy some well made warm ones at? Thanks in advance

Any ideals will be appreciated or links

Officially Retired
01-13-2012, 05:31 PM
I lived in TN for 6 years and barrels are fine, so long as you keep the openings small (9" in diameter) and you stuff their houses with straw, they will be fine :)

Jack

Buck E. Owens
02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I live in canada and i use barrels. They work fine up to-20°. Just have canopys an small doors.
Lots of fresh straw n' shavings mix. And your set. I got tired of building 10 houses a year cause of chewing, and urin soaked wood. I dont use flaps on the doors, cause it take you 40mins. To put on/make. And they take 30sec. To rip it off.

Hakeem
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Get someone whos good with carpentry to build you some
You can always find a laid off carpenter
Make a few dual chambered insulated ones
their heavy but worth it if your hounds are

Officially Retired
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I live in canada and i use barrels. They work fine up to-20°. Just have canopys an small doors.
Lots of fresh straw n' shavings mix. And your set. I got tired of building 10 houses a year cause of chewing, and urin soaked wood. I dont use flaps on the doors, cause it take you 40mins. To put on/make. And they take 30sec. To rip it off.

:lol:

Hakeem
02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I use wooden houses...use to have barrels, but you cant take the top off one!
I have one barrel left and usually lowman on the totem pole gets it, honestly.
My single chambered ones are made like this...[attachment=1:3ad2zsd4]Doghouse.jpgDoghouse.jpg[/attachment:3ad2zsd4][attachment=0:3ad2zsd4]Doghouse2.jpg[/attachment:3ad2zsd4]

Find a laid off carpenter or someone who's good with building
see if they want to make some side money

scary
02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Is that tin on the side that looks shiny?

Nash
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
I think its a layer of foil on the insulation scary. The board still needs to go over it.
Nicely done Hakeem.

Hakeem
02-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Is that tin on the side that looks shiny?
no sir not tin, thats the other side of the insulation

I think its a layer of foil on the insulation scary. The board still needs to go over it.
Nicely done Hakeem.

you are correct and thanks[attachment=0:1h1s0ncl]Doghouse3.jpg[/attachment:1h1s0ncl]
all sides covered in this shot, front trimmed out with routerd hand rail
hopefully to reduce friction on the chain when the dog inters