PDA

View Full Version : Trembling/fast twitch after workout.

Macker
01-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Just looking for some advice or knowledge from some of the members with experience in conditioning.

I have a bitch in a keep and after her mill work her legs tremble like a fast twitch, just wondering if anybody has any idea what causes this or how to prevent it or even if it's something I should worry about? My worry is the bitch suffering from cramp at the wrong time.

The bitch isn't sprinting the mill, she's walking/trotting at an intense pace.

Any input will be greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers.

S_B
01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Are you using a hard turning mill?

How long is the workout session?

Macker
01-08-2015, 10:18 AM
It's a very free turning mill, she's doing 30minutes straight rather than sprints because of the way she's working the mill.

loot
01-08-2015, 10:25 AM
how long has she been in keep? If it's early she just has to get her legs under her, she should be fine.

Macker
01-08-2015, 11:12 AM
She's past the half way point, I've seen dogs do it before but never like seeing it, she had a good pre keep so I think she should be well on her way. I was hoping somebody might have experienced it before, could it be a build up of lactic acid?

S_B
01-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Hopefully someone will have some beneficial advice. You took the hard running mill out of the equation as well as being early on in keep, so I'm out. Another thing I would rule out is dehydration, as well as any supplements that could be causing her to be jittery. Hydration is critical in flushing toxins from the body.

I myself have become ultra sensitive to any medication or supplements as I've aged. I don't like taking much more than an ibuprofen and some few vitamins when needed. So I'd rule that out as a possibility. I'm always learning but I think the lactic acid would cause more cramping post workout? Does she expel a lot of white froth during workout?

Macker
01-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the input lads. She's well hydrated and not frothing at the mouth.

When I walk her to cool down after the work out it lasts around the first 5 minutes and lessons by the minute till she's fine, the following day she's fine as well.

Nut
01-08-2015, 12:07 PM
No muscle fever day after?

Edit: sry didnt read that last post

Macker
01-08-2015, 02:19 PM
No muscle fever.

EWO
01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I understand it is a keep and routines are important. If it is not going to throw things too far out of whack break down the 30 minute session to three ten minute sessions.

Again, not knowing all the details or the dog, I am guessing the dog is really tense on the mill. Watch the muscles, I am guessing they are 'flexed' while running. If so, the dog is just not comfortable being off the ground, which is normal.

I have one that is not an enthusiastic mill worker. She is almost 'freaked' and 'tense'. If she hears another dog bark or sees a dog she will run the mill. Not all out, but almost power stepping. I shorten the sessions because she is 'flexed' and with that said, straining thru every step. Anything over a few minutes and she has a slight tremble, especially in her front legs. It lasts only a minute or so after she is on the ground/floor.

This is just a guess as I have never did any sort of medical testing or veterinarian checking on this female. Just an observation. EWO

Macker
01-08-2015, 10:34 PM
I understand it is a keep and routines are important. If it is not going to throw things too far out of whack break down the 30 minute session to three ten minute sessions.

Again, not knowing all the details or the dog, I am guessing the dog is really tense on the mill. Watch the muscles, I am guessing they are 'flexed' while running. If so, the dog is just not comfortable being off the ground, which is normal.

I have one that is not an enthusiastic mill worker. She is almost 'freaked' and 'tense'. If she hears another dog bark or sees a dog she will run the mill. Not all out, but almost power stepping. I shorten the sessions because she is 'flexed' and with that said, straining thru every step. Anything over a few minutes and she has a slight tremble, especially in her front legs. It lasts only a minute or so after she is on the ground/floor.

This is just a guess as I have never did any sort of medical testing or veterinarian checking on this female. Just an observation. EWO

Thanks for the advice, It makes sense. I'll change her workout to 10 minute sets and let you know the difference it makes.

Much appreciated everybody.

S_B
01-09-2015, 05:19 AM

This is really good advice. It is going to be very difficult for anyone to peg what's going on not having all the details with this dog. It sounded to me after first reading the post the dog is being worked too hard. There is no way to know that for sure for anyone reading or commenting.

Macker this would be concerning to me, you sure don't want this trembling during show time. Good luck with your bitch overcoming this obstacle and winning her show.

S_B

EWO
01-09-2015, 06:25 AM
it is hard enough to try to help without actually seeing the dog, couple that with being in keep and understanding what lies ahead. Really difficult.

I may have misunderstood or assumed it only happened when using the mill.

My post was border line advice (LOL) but more along the lines of I have one that shows the same signs. Just being tensed on the mill is making 10 minutes feel like 30-40-50 for the dog. Like doing a bodybuilder flexed out pose and maintaining it while you do the dishes. The dishes becomes a much more difficult task.

Anyway, hope it helps. And best of luck in her future endeavors. EWO

Macker
01-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I really appreciate everybody's input and am taking on board everything you guys are saying. Thanks again guys.

EWO
01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Best of luck as you go forward. EWO

NightBreed
01-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Whats the dogs diet consisting of? I had a few do that and I played with their sodium / potassium a bit and It went away.. I added sweet potato for a carb source and add some sodium/ electrolyte to their feed and the leg shaking went away.. They are pretty much having muscle spasm and cramps just as we do. Hope this helps