PDA

View Full Version : VEGGIES IN DIET

BSK
01-14-2015, 01:29 AM
My relative works in a grocery store & last week end he gave me all of the out dated meats & the produce that was pulled. I got a 55 gallon trash can of meat & a 55 gallon trash bag full of mostly mustard greens with a few Bunches of collards & cilantro & heads of cabbage,bags of celery,carrots,cucumbers. I have pureed a lot of it & poured it in a bucket. I use pureed veggies in my feed but I've never had so much. I'm thinking about just filling up a 5 gallon Bucket & leaving it outside to use daily & freeze the rest of the veggies that haven't Been Pureed until my bucket gets low. I know it will start to ferment. Fermented veggies for the most part are healthy for us. I would love to hear opinions from all who wish to give any. Thanks in advance.

tasoschatz
01-14-2015, 03:05 AM
We all know about dogs diging holes and keeping meat, bones etc and use it after a long time, but veggies? and fermented? in full honesty I never heard of beeing good for humans, I actually call them roten. I know about preserving them with salt, vinegard, drying them or other methods, but fermentation? that is a first for me. I can only speak for what I own and all I can say is that too many veggies translate into gas and diarrhea.

CRISIS
01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
grind it, tupperware it, freeze it.

same with the meat.

S_B
01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
I would imagine fermented veggies would be good. If you think about it grazing animals eat vegetation then when they are consumed by prey, the prey goes for the guts first. By the process of digestion (bacteria break down) the veggies are fermented.

We consume lots of beneficial foods that are fermented ourselves, such as yogurts, sauerkraut etc. The bacteria found in these types of foods are good for a healthy digestive system.

Feeding these types of veggies would probably be better than raw or cooked. The only concern I'd have would be vegetables higher in sugar, just thinking in line of how alcohol is fermented with sugars.

S_B

BSK
01-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Great S_B u understand where I'm coming from. It's mostly mustard greens.

TALLMAN
01-15-2015, 07:56 PM
When time, energy(motivation) is available, I do not feed veggies or grains. They meet no known nutritional requirements for the canine carnivore and burden their pancreas. This, unlike the omnivores and herbivores that have different enzymes in their saliva, the correct bacteria, and length of digestive tract that is appropriate for veggie and grain digestion. Wolves never intentionally eat the stomach contents of their prey. I know of a 120 pound timber wolf that was fed only one whole processed chicken daily for 12 years. He was vet tranquilized annually for a complete workup and never required any supplement.

S_B
01-16-2015, 10:01 AM
When time, energy(motivation) is available, I do not feed veggies or grains. They meet no known nutritional requirements for the canine carnivore and burden their pancreas. This, unlike the omnivores and herbivores that have different enzymes in their saliva, the correct bacteria, and length of digestive tract that is appropriate for veggie and grain digestion. Wolves never intentionally eat the stomach contents of their prey. I know of a 120 pound timber wolf that was fed only one whole processed chicken daily for 12 years. He was vet tranquilized annually for a complete workup and never required any supplement.

I have to respectfully disagree...wolves and other carnivorous animals actually do intentionally eat the intestines and stomach contents. In fact most will start eating their prey at the anus or right in the guts. Dogs get upset stomachs, at least as far as we humans can tell, and what do they eat? :) Grass!

The wolf who lived on whole processed chicken to age 12 just proves he was healthy enough to live that long from the care he received. I've known folks pets like those little pesky chihuahua's live to 19 on kibbles n bits. :rolleyes:

Do we really know what actually is best to feed our dogs? I think it's a guessing game and we guage with our eyes (and emotions) as to whether or not what we feed is right.

Just how I see things, no disrespect intended.

S_B

TALLMAN
01-16-2015, 08:15 PM
S_B, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I shared your beliefs until recently. The dog food industry has put so much out there, nobody is certain of much. My comments about wolves consuming stomach contents were drawn mostly from the book Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Behavior. By L. David Mech, considered the world's leading wolf biologist. He explains the vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to a wolf. But, the stomach lining and intestinal lining is consumed and their contents further strewn about the kill site. This explains the myth. Your description of initial entry on many kills I have witnessed myself and therefore my beliefs I previously shared with you. I believe the book Raw Meaty bones in appendix B from Neville Buck from the Zoological Parks in Kent, England also shared Mech's observations. I still do not hold no truly non changeable beliefs no the subject. I appreciate your comments very much and sincerely consider all that is relayed to me.

S_B
01-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Tallman,

I'll have to check out Mech's book when I get the time it is an interesting subject to me. I totally agree with you about the dog food companies. They are targeting us in the dog food market not what's best for our dogs.

S_B

tasoschatz
01-17-2015, 12:11 AM
I have to ask this because I want to make sure is not the translation I get for fermented wrong.
We have fermentation that happens lets say when we make wine and then we have partially digested greens from animal stomachs and then we have veggies pureed in a bucket without anything else added, so they just get rotten. Are all these considered to be the same thing? is it something that I do not get due to not really understanding the english language?

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Here are the actual quotes from biologist L. David Mech's book about wolves. According to Mech, they do not eat the stomach contents of their prey.

http://rawfed.com/myths/stomachcontents.html

CRISIS
01-17-2015, 08:33 AM
i guess it would be best just to throw them a raw whole animal and see what they go for first....