PDA

View Full Version : To put a roof on kennels or not.

Nut
01-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Currently busy with a new kennel setup on a new place. All sides are closed except for the front panel. I have 2 options for roofing. Fence or roofing panels. Just can't choose which to use.

Pro's of fence are.
-More sunlight. Sun comes up west of the kennels so not much will reach into their kennels if roof is closed.
-Rain keeps it clean.

Con's of fence are.
-Dog's and myself get wet when I come to clean and feed.
-Dog's might not come out to drink enough water and some young dogs choose to piss inside their doghouses when it rains. And hell it rains allot. ( no snow)

Covering half is not an option for me.

What do you guys prefer.

brokeback
01-15-2015, 05:50 AM
I would say cover the back half by their houses but you said that's not an option. So, I suppose I'd go with the fence since the dogs will need sun and the other way it sounds that they'd be missing that. Good luck and I'd be interested in seeing some pics if you feel like sharing. Keep us posted.

CRISIS
01-15-2015, 08:50 AM
use tin roofing & 2x4's. if your dogs are gettin quality time out of theyre kennel, then you dont need to worry about lack of sun. the benefits outweight the cons to me. dry doghouse. dry kennel footing. id go with tin roofing, myself.

DARTMASTER
01-16-2015, 08:21 PM
I use panels and put a tarp on the top. Then attach a spring to the kennel overhang

bulldoghistorian
01-16-2015, 10:40 PM
roofing that lets sun trough

have you thought of that

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 01:49 AM
I use Tuftex Translucent Smoke Corrugated Polycarbonate Roof Panels from Lowe's. They come in 8 foot or 12 foot long by 26 inches wide. They are also available in clear or opaque. I prefer the translucent smoke ones because they let the light in yet the kennels stay relatively cool in the summer sun.

The panels sit on a wooden frame that gets clamped to the top of the kennel panels. Wood supports are used in between the beams of the frame due to the heavy snow we get here. Painted, galvanized steel screws with neoprene washers are used to attach the panels to the wood beams. They keep the rain or melting snow from leaking into the kennel. Besides keeping the kennels dry from rain or snow the panels keep debris like falling leaves, small branches or acorns etc, from falling into the kennels. So far they have held up very well under the snow, however I try to push the snow off as soon as I can. Another advantage is that these panels wont rust like the tin roofing eventually will.

My smaller 6' x 8' kennels have a flat roof. The larger 10' x 12' kennel has a slanted roof to help the rain water drain off. I was even toying with the idea of attaching a gutter and drain pipe to divert the water from the kennel. So far I haven't had to use it. I haven't had any problem with rain running back into the kennel.

The only disadvantage would be cost but that would vary on the size of the kennel and how much overhang you use. I have enough of an overhang so I don't have to stand in the rain while opening or closing kennels to feed the dogs.

Here are some pics:
The first pic shows the cross beams without the supports attached yet. You can see there's already leaves and nuts sitting on the panels that would have ended up in the kennel if I used a fence roof. The second pic is from last year's huge snowfall. Third pic you can see that sunlight does come in the kennel.

CRISIS
01-17-2015, 08:29 AM
SD, so are those the more "plastic" like ones ive seen at HD & lowes vs the regular tin?

bulldoghistorian
01-17-2015, 08:37 AM
I use Tuftex Translucent Smoke Corrugated Polycarbonate Roof Panels from Lowe's. They come in 8 foot or 12 foot long by 26 inches wide. They are also available in clear or opaque. I prefer the translucent smoke ones because they let the light in yet the kennels stay relatively cool in the summer sun.

The panels sit on a wooden frame that gets clamped to the top of the kennel panels. Wood supports are used in between the beams of the frame due to the heavy snow we get here. Painted, galvanized steel screws with neoprene washers are used to attach the panels to the wood beams. They keep the rain or melting snow from leaking into the kennel. Besides keeping the kennels dry from rain or snow the panels keep debris like falling leaves, small branches or acorns etc, from falling into the kennels. So far they have held up very well under the snow, however I try to push the snow off as soon as I can. Another advantage is that these panels wont rust like the tin roofing eventually will.

My smaller 6' x 8' kennels have a flat roof. The larger 10' x 12' kennel has a slanted roof to help the rain water drain off. I was even toying with the idea of attaching a gutter and drain pipe to divert the water from the kennel. So far I haven't had to use it. I haven't had any problem with rain running back into the kennel.

The only disadvantage would be cost but that would vary on the size of the kennel and how much overhang you use. I have enough of an overhang so I don't have to stand in the rain while opening or closing kennels to feed the dogs.

Here are some pics:
The first pic shows the cross beams without the supports attached yet. You can see there's already leaves and nuts sitting on the panels that would have ended up in the kennel if I used a fence roof. The second pic is from last year's huge snowfall. Third pic you can see that sunlight does come in the kennel.

thats some snow

Officially Retired
01-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Roofing.

The whole idea of a pen is shelter ... and so if there's no 'shelter' from the elements, then all you've provided is a cage ...

Officially Retired
01-17-2015, 09:04 AM
BTW, nice pens, ScratchinDog :)

Jack

PS: Can't they dig under the earth though?

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 09:10 AM
SD, so are those the more "plastic" like ones ive seen at HD & lowes vs the regular tin?

Yes, they are the heavy plastic ones. They flex but do not break. You can find them in Lowe's or HD or perhaps any other large home improvement store. Most likely they will be right near where they sell the tin roof material.

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 09:33 AM
thats some snow

We had a really bad winter last year. One of the worst I've seen in a long time. Snowstorm after snowstorm. It was almost impossible to pull the snow off before another storm hit. So far this year it has not been as bad. I only had to remove snow once from the top of the kennels.

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Roofing.

The whole idea of a pen is shelter ... and so if there's no 'shelter' from the elements, then all you've provided is a cage ...

That's exactly how I look at it. I try to think of everything I can do to keep them safe from the elements due to the extreme weather we can get here. I wouldn't want to be out there baking in the sun or freezing in sub zero temps.

Nut
01-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Hadn't thought of that. But don't most plastic blocks UV?

I already have the closed plates and the fences.

Nut
01-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Roofing.

Yes. But don't forget chains are no option here.

I always have and and had roofs on my kennels and its not like they go outside of their doghouses when it rains. Its just when I arrive or when they have to take a shit or drink.

In the summer they could benefit from no roofing.

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 10:35 AM
BTW, nice pens, ScratchinDog :)

Jack

PS: Can't they dig under the earth though?

Thank you. :)

Yes, they can dig and occasionally they do. But I think it's more of a boredom thing than trying to escape. Especially in the winter when they are not being worked. But it's so cold and the ground is frozen so they usually spend most of their time in their dog houses. The ground here is full of rocks and smaller stones. You can't put a shovel in the earth without hitting a rock. If you have a perfect spot to place an axle, forget it. Most likely you have to move it around a few times until it goes all the way under the ground. ~X( I don't even know how the dirt fits in between all the rocks. :lol: So the rocks are somewhat of a deterrent but I put heavy flat rocks at the base all along the outside of the kennel panels and that stops them from digging. Actually the biggest problem is not digging, it's barking. ~X( :lol:

S_B
01-17-2015, 10:52 AM
We decided to build a few of these. Going to put metal decking over top just haven't decided how to attach yet. Do not want to compromise the kennel panels with screw holes.

We have made feet out of plate and one size smaller pipe that will attach to the deck and the panel pipe will slide over. That way no dog can scoot the kennel off the deck and escape. What is also cool about how these turned out is the height the pipe sits up off the deck leaves just enough room to use a rake or pooper scooper to remove waste. That wasn't planned! :D

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Hadn't thought of that. But don't most plastic blocks UV?

I already have the closed plates and the fences.

These smoke colored poly sheets may have the anti-UV layer added as a special coating for better weather resistance. I'm not sure about that. That would be a good question for the manufacturer. But it would be another plus if it did block the harmful UV rays and just let visible light pass through.

loot
01-17-2015, 12:26 PM
We decided to build a few of these. Going to put metal decking over top just haven't decided how to attach yet. Do not want to compromise the kennel panels with screw holes.

We have made feet out of plate and one size smaller pipe that will attach to the deck and the panel pipe will slide over. That way no dog can scoot the kennel off the deck and escape. What is also cool about how these turned out is the height the pipe sits up off the deck leaves just enough room to use a rake or pooper scooper to remove waste. That wasn't planned! :D

Looks great, you might can use feance post clamps.

CRISIS
01-17-2015, 01:30 PM
i plan on framing the inside of my kennels with 2x6's. then laying down a few inches of sand to level out the ground as flat as possible so i can place 1x1 pavers in there. i reckon it will be easy to clean, and hard for them to dig out!

sb, those are very nice! im curious what the cost of lumber is vs the cost of cement paver.... that set up you posted may just be the way to go.

Nut
01-17-2015, 01:50 PM
These smoke colored poly sheets may have the anti-UV layer added as a special coating for better weather resistance. I'm not sure about that. That would be a good question for the manufacturer. But it would be another plus if it did block the harmful UV rays and just let visible light pass through.

Isnt UV needed for vitamine D or am i saying something stupid. Its nice for dogs to enjoy the warmth of the sun sure.

S_B
01-17-2015, 02:36 PM
i plan on framing the inside of my kennels with 2x6's. then laying down a few inches of sand to level out the ground as flat as possible so i can place 1x1 pavers in there. i reckon it will be easy to clean, and hard for them to dig out!

sb, those are very nice! im curious what the cost of lumber is vs the cost of cement paver.... that set up you posted may just be the way to go.

I bought enough for 2 decks and didn't skimp on lumber. All treated... 4x6's for the feet, 2x6's for the frame, 2x10's for the floor and 2x8's on the front and back to give it a finished off look. And coated deck screws to fasten everything as well as joist hangers to support the framing.

I spent a little over $800 for both. Thank your for the compliment.

S_B

scratchin dog
01-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Isnt UV needed for vitamine D or am i saying something stupid. Its nice for dogs to enjoy the warmth of the sun sure.

UV rays are both helpful and harmful. UV rays are needed to help humans and animals produce vitamin D, but overexposure is what you want to avoid. I have had pups out in my kennels and haven't had any problems with their growth that you would see if you kept pups inside and away from the sun.

Nut
01-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Now that you say that got me thinking, I think UV works indirect as well. Don't have to be directly exposed to the sun. Good point!

Officially Retired
01-17-2015, 04:18 PM

Very, very nice ... except no roof.

I have had some acrobatic pups ... that will climb fences and get out ... so I would highly recommend adding a roof to that very nice setup ... or, someday, you will come back to this thread and say, "I should have listened" ... because, sadly, it will be the smartest, most athletic pups getting out :crying:

S_B
01-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Very, very nice ... except no roof.

I have had some acrobatic pups ... that will climb fences and get out ... so I would highly recommend adding a roof to that very nice setup ... or, someday, you will come back to this thread and say, "I should have listened" ... because, sadly, it will be the smartest, most athletic pups getting out :crying:

Yes Jack that is why it is currently empty. We have the decking (sheet metal) just haven't had the time to build a fram and attach. Still debating on how we're going to attach it really.

No Quarter Kennel
01-29-2015, 07:21 AM

I have done pavers for years. I only have one pen like that now. I don't like it. Holds too much piss and shit in the paver itself, no matter how much you clean and hosing it down creates a moisture underneath that never goes away. I think any time you can get your pen OFF THE GROUND in some fashion, then it is best.

No Quarter Kennel
01-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Yes Jack that is why it is currently empty. We have the decking (sheet metal) just haven't had the time to build a fram and attach. Still debating on how we're going to attach it really.

I built one like yours.
I notched the framing so 1. It would sit down snug on the panel frame and 2. So I could "Metal Strap" it to the frame.
I hope this makes sense.
I had/have the exact same panel as you and it worked great.

S_B
02-08-2015, 10:02 AM
Made these (2nd photo) to insert into the pipe of the Magnum kennels. What I'll do is use the 2 side panels opposite one another and insert the homemade plates into them and then attach with heavy duty stainless screws to the actual deck itself. Originally I was going with the clamps pictured in the 1st photo but I didn't take into account the raised panel. :embarrassed:

I think many people forget this step only to lose a dog because it pushed on the kennel all day and shoved it over the side.

I may use this concept for attaching my roof but the jury is still out on the roof.

S_B

P.S. pictured upside down...painting to match the kennel.