PDA

View Full Version : Safe weed killer?

heritage
02-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Are there any effective, dog safe weed killers to use around chain spots?

CRISIS
02-23-2015, 12:47 PM
this stuff may be worth a shot, although i havent heard much about it. our dogs move so much the friction from the chain itself is the weed control. lol, check it out though..

http://www.gardenersedge.com/ADIOS-ECO-Friendly-Weed-Control,-Ready-to-Use,-1-Gallon/p/VP-ADIOS/?kc=GESHOP15N&mkwid=by8FEpr9&pcrid={creative_id}&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvKunBRCfsum9z6fu_5IBEiQAu4lg4rQrnGk8 COBZMUi1c2saDODkA1-cQOiXjuYnttc4q-0aAvWg8P8HAQ

CRISIS
02-23-2015, 12:50 PM
not allowing me to post the link for some reason, but its called " A.D.I.O.S- Eco Friendly Weed Control"

bamaman
02-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Good weed eater is the best way !I got a Stihl .

bamaman
02-26-2015, 04:25 AM
Jmo but dead grass looks like crap .I'd tiller the weeds up and plant some nice grass around the spots..It just looks a whole lot better..But your grown so do as you please.

heritage
02-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Jmo but dead grass looks like crap .I'd tiller the weeds up and plant some nice grass around the spots..It just looks a whole lot better..But your grown so do as you please.

I agree, Bama, and I like the yard to look as nice as possible.

bamaman
03-02-2015, 04:25 AM
I use centipede and it don't grow fast and it will choke weeds out.I like the way centipede spreads and over time it just takes over.Really nice grass , depends on where you live though ..I would send off a soil sample to just in case the soil is lacking something.No use spending money on nice grass if your soil is off.

TFX
03-02-2015, 06:44 AM
One of the main reasons to remove vegetation around the dogs is to minimize habitat for fleas, ticks, spiders, and so forth. I remove the dog, and spray Roundup/Surflan once or twice per year on the perimeter of each area, and then let it dry before returning the dog. Many dogmen have salted their areas for critters and weeds, but don't do this if you have trees nearby.

S_B
03-02-2015, 07:33 AM
I use a product called Eraser and follow the same steps as TFX. The Eraser is much more effective than Roundup in my experience.
I also apply it to my fence lines and around trees and structures, weeds and grass are gone for about a year after the second application or so. When you have a large property it sure cuts down on the mowing and weed eating.
http://www.pestmall.com/shops/www.pestmall.com/images/products/originals/1371_1759_eraser_2.5.jpg

S_B

bamaman
03-02-2015, 12:15 PM
SB it takes me 3 hrs a week to weed eat...I am familiar with eraser I use it often on other parts of my property but I don't use it around my dogs or on my main lawn...Good stuff though , it does work.

TFX
03-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Roundup is the same active ingredient, 41% Glyphosate. The Surflan tank mixed with it inhibits seed bank germination. Once dry, you don't really have a toxicity issue with the dogs, the Glyphosate is basically strong soap.

S_B
03-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Roundup is the same active ingredient, 41% Glyphosate. The Surflan tank mixed with it inhibits seed bank germination. Once dry, you don't really have a toxicity issue with the dogs, the Glyphosate is basically strong soap.

I did not realize that. I have used the Roundup and it didn't work as well for me and it was more expensive. My neighbor only brush hogs his pastures and doesn't get very close to my fence. So when I bought this property I couldn't stand all of the weeds and trees growing up and through the fence.

I got me a back pack sprayer and sprayed my entire fence line and about a foot on his side. Trees and weeds are now gone! I sometimes go on his land and mow about 3 strip around my fences with the zero turn but if I don't feel like it I just spray the weeds down. Makes us both happy! :D

S_B

bamaman
03-03-2015, 04:20 AM
I actually mix a little dawn dish soap with mine to help it stick better, put the dawn in last...SB you can get a nice sprayer that actually hooks up to your lawn mower battery for around a 100 bucks ..That's what I got ..I think its a 50 gallon tank and I put it in my lawn trailor and hook up to the battery , its much easier.I don't trust any of this stuff around my family or dogs..I'll just keep doing what I am doing..Interesting info though.

TFX
03-03-2015, 04:24 AM
If you used plain old Roundup, it may have had no surfactant in it, thus causing a poorer result than a similar product. Most of these new 41% Roundup offshoot products now have the sticker/spreader pre mixed for best results. The Roundup Max (I think that's the one) is a 48% Glyphosate product with surfactant. I use more Big & Tough from Tractor Supply than anything though, $59 for 2.5 gallons of concentrate.

SGC
03-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Roundup is certainly one of the most widely used weed killers but there have been some recent studies that show it has some significant health risks.

I used to use it myself in some areas but I never used it around the vegetable garden or near the dogs as I never fully trust a huge marketing company.

It is only common sense to consider that what kills weeds so efficiently can also be potentially harmful to people and animals.

A few articles worth reading --

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/09/monsanto-roundup-herbicide.aspx

http://rt.com/op-edge/154000-toxic-herbicide-gmo-monsanto/

http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/07/02/uk-parliamentary-meeting-brings-dangers-roundup-public-focus/#.VPZMVuFUUZg

And a more technical article --

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955666/

I would not use Roundup near my home, nor near my dogs. I am hearing a fair amount about bitches not getting pregnant when bred and I have to wonder how much of that is due to all the chemicals in our lives.

So be aware of this and use caution with Roundup.

bamaman
03-04-2015, 02:53 AM
Yea I am not the most educated person on weed killers but I agree with SGC..I mean this stuff is poison ,I would especially becareful if I wasn't on city water.

BSK
03-07-2015, 01:14 AM
Use vinegar & dish washing liquid mixed in water in your sprayer.

BigEazy
03-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Use rock salt. It kills everything...

S_B
03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
I would not use Roundup near my home, nor near my dogs. I am hearing a fair amount about bitches not getting pregnant when bred and I have to wonder how much of that is due to all the chemicals in our lives.

So be aware of this and use caution with Roundup.

Great advice! This is interesting and something I will certainly consider going forward to preserve the fertility of my dogs.

Use rock salt. It kills everything...

A great alternative that I will try out this spring.

S_B