PDA

View Full Version : Banamine

PurePit19
01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
I been using this drug for a while and my vial is due to expire soon. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get more Banamine ( Flumeglumine) ?? Thanks in advance.

Officially Retired
01-15-2012, 05:19 AM
Where did you get the first batch you had?

Banamine (Flunixin meglumine) is in the same class of drug as Rimadyl (Carprofen), both are non-steroidal anti-Inflamatory drugs (NSAIDs ) designed for pain relief. For those who have never heard of these drugs, the dosage for Banamine = 0.5 mg/lb, injected slowly with the IV fluids. Because Banamine can affect the organs, I recommend switching to Rimadyl as soon as the dog will eat. The dosage for Rimadyl is 2 mg/lb once a day, or 1 mg/lb spaced every 12 hours.

You can pretty much get Banamine or Rimadyl from any vet catalogue, but you need a prescription. However, you can get generic Rimadyl (Carprofen) here (http://www.1drugstore-online.com/showprice.asp?Page=2&name=C&sname=c&ptype=Generic&bysearch=). I don't know where you can get Banamine over the counter, but Rimadyl is just as good if not better. The only advantage Banamine has over Rimadyl is if a dog can't keep the pill down, but if he can then I would just use Rimadyl.

Jack

PurePit19
01-15-2012, 05:39 AM
I have rimadyl and that works fine, I used to have a connection at the vets office but that vet clinic has closed down. I give the Banamine IM to keep the pain and swelling down for the first 24-48 hrs after a hunt, i use the rimadyl 24-48hrs after the injection was given. Thanks for the information Jack, some how I'll find more of it somewhere.

Officially Retired
01-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Sorry I couldn't be of more help with your specific question.

If you do find an online resource, kindly post it here so that others may benefit :)

Jack

heritage
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I noticed on the link u provided, that there is an injectable version of Rimadyl. Is this as effective as Banamine ?

Officially Retired
01-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I noticed on the link u provided, that there is an injectable version of Rimadyl. Is this as effective as Banamine ?

I didn't even notice that, thanks for the eagle-eye :ugeek:

I would imagine that it is as effective, or more, seeing as half as much mg/kg or Rimadyl is required to achieve the same effect as Banamine.

Jack

PurePit19
01-16-2012, 02:59 AM
I saw the injectable version of carprofen also, already have some on the way. Ive been using that site for a couple years now and never saw the injectable version before, they must have just updated the site.

Officially Retired
01-16-2012, 03:10 AM
I saw the injectable version of carprofen also, already have some on the way. Ive been using that site for a couple years now and never saw the injectable version before, they must have just updated the site.

FYI, I first made that website known to the dog community, back in 2002 with my first "Indispenable Tips" book 8-)

I myself got the idea from a "Soldier of Fortune"-type book called, Do It Yourself Medicine (http://www.amazon.com/Do-Yourself-Medicine-Antibiotics-Prescriptions/dp/0873649184) by Ragnar Benson.

Jack

heritage
01-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Finally got around to ordering some also but they sent an email saying they won't ship it to the U.S. ....Bummer! Did they tell u the same?

PurePit19
01-24-2012, 03:53 AM
Yes they told me the same.

heritage
04-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Ive read that Banamine injected IM in horses can cause clostridial myositis(basically gas gangrene) , so i see why its supposed to be given IV. Has anyone had complications giving it IM?

heritage
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Anyone know if its ok to give banamine IM?

heritage
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I give the Banamine IM

I guess my question had already been answered...oops!