PDA

View Full Version : Just for instance........?

GoForBroke
01-15-2012, 01:37 AM
What if for instance I had a big black dog named Zeke and he was a powerhouse stone cold killer a true ace that had hard mouth barnstomer and his gameness was never tested. So I start basing my line off said dog and for the first few generations of his progeney I produced dogs that looked like him and carried many of the same traits but my percentages of quality was not up to par so I then continue to inbreed the family based off Zeke and check/cull acordingly focusing on a more well rounded dog and over the generations begin to get higher percentages of good dogs but now the dogs being produced neither look nor act like the dog they are inbred upon so I guess in a long round about way my question is would these dogs still be labeled as "Zeke" dogs or something else?

CitySwamp
01-15-2012, 03:13 AM
If they are linebred and inbred off him they are Zeke dogs whywould they change bc their color has changed? Bull Boy Bob and Bobby Jr didn't stop being Bolio dogs because they were black and didn't look like Bolio..

Officially Retired
01-15-2012, 04:45 AM
What if for instance I had a big black dog named Zeke and he was a powerhouse stone cold killer a true ace that had hard mouth barnstomer and his gameness was never tested. So I start basing my line off said dog and for the first few generations of his progeney I produced dogs that looked like him and carried many of the same traits but my percentages of quality was not up to par so I then continue to inbreed the family based off Zeke and check/cull acordingly focusing on a more well rounded dog and over the generations begin to get higher percentages of good dogs but now the dogs being produced neither look nor act like the dog they are inbred upon so I guess in a long round about way my question is would these dogs still be labeled as "Zeke" dogs or something else?

They would be line-/inbred Zeke dogs ... until you started line-/inbreeding on a new dog down the road.

For example, if I start line-/inbreeding on Silverback (who is off of Poncho's sister Missy), even though I am breeding him to Poncho bitches, my line-/inbreeding focus is on Silverback ... who also is not colored like Poncho/Missy either.

Therefore if some new dog off of Zeke, or down from Zeke, becomes the new focus of your program, it is now being funneled through this dog. This is called "a family within a family," and happens in every line of dogs there is. There are "RBJ dogs," Yellow Dogs, Humdinger dogs, Yellow John Dogs, etc., etc.

Every time there are new, defining dogs that become the breeding focus, you have an new, offshoot family getting bred.

Jack

GoForBroke
01-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks kinda what I thought but wasn't sure if they would be called the same if they didn't have any of the same traits or look like the original dog inbred upon.