PDA

View Full Version : Treating Coccidia in newborn pups

SwampDweller
01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Bitch has bloody discharge, longer than usual after birth, and 5 of the 7 pups died, 1 by 1. Treating the dam with an injectable antibiotics (gentamicin), but not sure if the antibiotics will get within the breat-milk; study shows its not likely. Also, treating the pups with an oral antibiolic (cefa-drops); very low doses. The two remaining pups are active, fat & look real healthy. Should I take them off the dam and bottle feed them, or should I continue to treat both dam & pups while allowing them to remain together? I know the meds I'm using isn't the traditional ones used (albon), but it has worked well for me in the past.

Swamp

Officially Retired
01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Bitch has bloody discharge, longer than usual after birth, and 5 of the 7 pups died, 1 by 1. Treating the dam with an injectable antibiotics (gentamicin), but not sure if the antibiotics will get within the breat-milk; study shows its not likely. Also, treating the pups with an oral antibiolic (cefa-drops); very low doses. The two remaining pups are active, fat & look real healthy. Should I take them off the dam and bottle feed them, or should I continue to treat both dam & pups while allowing them to remain together? I know the meds I'm using isn't the traditional ones used (albon), but it has worked well for me in the past.
Swamp

Neither of those antibiotic choices affects coccidia at all.

I just made a blog post on coccidia (http://thepitbullbible.com/Blog/?p=178) a couple weeks ago. If you haven't yet subscribed to my blog, it would be a good idea to do so, because it will eventually contain a massive amount of good information ... posted a few days every week.

The short answer is Trimethoprim-Sulfa is the antibiotic that will affect coccidia, and in point of fact its highest concentrations are found in mammary tissues. I get into this indepth in my blog post.

Also, if you need to hand-raise any pups, there is also a blog post on that, as well as a re-print here in this Forum, under the "Reproduction" sub-forum.

Good luck & sorry you lost so many, that sucks I know.

Jack

SwampDweller
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Thx big guy! I'll get on that blog as soon as possible. I picked up some Sulfadimethoxine and started treating both dam & pups.