PDA

View Full Version : Harness or collar on mill

Bostondawg
08-04-2015, 06:51 AM
I'd like to hear your opinions on the difference between using a harness or collar on the mill. I'd like to believe the harness which is attached behind the shoulders would focus more on the back end of the dog and a collar set up would force the dog to use his mid section more. What are your thoughts and preferences?

scratchin dog
08-04-2015, 08:51 AM
I only use a harness for running my dogs on the mill. I don't like anything restrictive on the dog's airway when they are running the slat mill.

EWO
08-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Like most good questions, the answers always seem to be non-answers. For me it depends on the dog. If the dog runs hard with his head up, head at shoulder or higher level I like a collar. If it is a dog that drops his head and looks like he is in a pulling type run, I like a harness. I don't know if the leaning down on the collar cuts the wind, but it looks like it does, and in those cases the harness makes me feel better.

Not sure if one or the other would concentrate to a certain area. Most of the time the mill's operation as well as the effort the dog puts in, and his gait, will determine the area of the body worked.

I use both, more so to fit the style of running the dog uses. EWO

Bostondawg
08-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to seeing what other have found.

FrostyPaws
08-04-2015, 01:27 PM
I've found that even if a dog is running head up, shoulder level or higher, he is still leaning into the collar somewhat, and that always looks restrictive to the airway for me. The dogs I have are working fools, so they're always running full bore on the mill, so I always use a harness on the mill, and I would only use a collar on a jenny.

Nut
08-04-2015, 01:52 PM
When you're using a harness. Make sure you put chains level or in a wide enough angle to the rings of the harness. I believe I injured a dog attaching the chain to the top of the mill in like a 70 degrees angle. When the dog sprinted he pulled himself up a bit, making his front legs stretch to much. Hope U understand what I mean.

I always use a collar.