PDA

View Full Version : Male next to female

R2L
01-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Any of you have experience keeping a male and a female in kennels which are attached to each other. They can not see each other but basically they can be 10 cm away from each other. I didn't plan on keeping both of these dogs but i got to like them VERY much. But in a few months the female will come in heat and i can;t have a crazy male in the kennel nor move any of the dogs.

I have a very bad feeling about this, lol. What would you guys do. If im getting a lot of negative advice i will sell her with pain, because it will be a waste of time to wait on drama thats about to happen.

Marooda
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Any of you have experience keeping a male and a female in kennels which are attached to each other. They can not see each other but basically they can be 10 cm away from each other. I didn't plan on keeping both of these dogs but i got to like them VERY much. But in a few months the female will come in heat and i can;t have a crazy male in the kennel nor move any of the dogs.

I have a very bad feeling about this, lol. What would you guys do. If im getting a lot of negative advice i will sell her with pain, because it will be a waste of time to wait on drama thats about to happen.

I have my pens set up like that, my bitch was in heat and my stud couldn't get to her. But on the same token, he did start to get a little desperate and started to damage my pens and was inflicting pain to himself trying to get in her chick parts :lol: So my point is, if I am home they stay together in the pens because I can keep an eye and ear on what is going on outside, but when I am at work and I know she is flagging and in her 14 day window, then I put her either in the above ground pen or put her in the house in a travel kennel until I get home. hope this helps :D

Marooda

R2L
01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks. Im away from home like 10 hour's a day. Unfortunately i have no options to place a dog to another spot outside so my only option is to crate it inside. I think its a long time for a dog used to being outside in a big kennel.

Marooda
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks. Im away from home like 10 hour's a day. Unfortunately i have no options to place a dog to another spot outside so my only option is to crate it inside. I think its a long time for a dog used to being outside in a big kennel.

I agree, and just like you I am always thinking about my hounds, so what I do to remedy her going apeshit in the crate while she is in heat, I would walk her a few miles in the morning (and yea this really sucks 0400 in the morning :evil:) before I go to work just to burn off that energy and put a Nylabone in there, and have some tai-chi tunes turned down low in a dark room while I am away It's only until she comes off her cycle then put her back out with the pack.

Marooda

scary
01-18-2012, 11:11 AM

I agree, and just like you I am always thinking about my hounds, so what I do to remedy her going apeshit in the crate while she is in heat, I would walk her a few miles in the morning (and yea this really sucks 0400 in the morning :evil:) before I go to work just to burn off that energy and put a Nylabone in there, and have some tai-chi tunes turned down low in a dark room while I am away It's only until she comes off her cycle then put her back out with the pack.

Marooda

I was in a situation like that when i first started in theses dogs.
You have a couple things to worry about the first one is the average crate won't hold any dog that really wants out let alone the working breed that we love and care for. I have seen these
hounds chew threw your average chain link fence (16 ga). So coming home to shit every were and a house that looks like a tornado hit it after along day at work sucks. The second is piss

burn on their feet from laying in it all day. Third worms from there waste. And last but not least someone get po at you and call animal control. Depending were your located once you get them on you they Will always have a eye on you especially the ones that discriminates do to breeds

R2L
01-19-2012, 12:45 AM
@ Marooda, that's good and about all you can do. I'd do the same. One of my dogs i could just leave in the living for like 12 houres and he would just lay on the couch, dont piss dont bark nothing. But regarding kennels dogs, i think what scary says is just as real.... very difficult situation for me... argh.. might keep them both through her first heat, see how it goes and decide which one is most worst feeding after that

Officially Retired
01-19-2012, 03:36 AM

Why don't you build a separate above-ground pen for your bitch?

They don't take up much space and it would solve the problem.

Jack

R2L
01-19-2012, 03:38 AM
You havent seen my backyard man :D
I would if i had the space.

Officially Retired
01-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Alrighty then :)