PDA

View Full Version : Raw Shank Bone

wobbles
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I can't find them anywhere locally and everyone I ask to point me in the right direction around town acts like they don't even know what I'm talking about. Is there some sort of secret code name for these mofo's or am I gonna have to go to the stockyard with a chainsaw? Just in case it comes down to that, it is the back leg of a cow right?

evolutionkennels
01-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I've been feeding raw beef and bones for years on weekends. But a few weeks ago I almost lost my favorite dog because of it. I no longer recommend feeding raw bones

Officially Retired
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
What kind of bone was it, Evo?

The beef shankbone is a good gnawing bone, but some smaller beef bones can be dangerous.

It's kind of like driving a car: no matter what you do there is some small risk, and sometimes people get hurt and die, but (if you really think about it) the percentages are very low and, overall, driving sure beats walking :)

Jack

PS: Wobbles, if you have a WinnDixie in your area, ask him when his beef bones come in, it's usually once a week.

evolutionkennels
01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
beef neck bone

Hozomeen
01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
If the beef neck bones are anything like pork neck bones I'd diffidently stay away from them. I used to feed them until I heard one whimpering/crying everytime she sh*t i went and looked through it and found small neck bone shards, other than that i feed pretty much ANY other Raw bones with no problems.

Officially Retired
01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
If the beef neck bones are anything like pork neck bones I'd diffidently stay away from them. I used to feed them until I heard one whimpering/crying everytime she sh*t i went and looked through it and found small neck bone shards, other than that i feed pretty much ANY other Raw bones with no problems.

Yes, the smaller, weaker vertebrate bones would be much more likely to splinter and lodge than a massive shank bone.

Jack

QCKLime
01-18-2012, 07:08 PM
A good rule of thumb I've always heard (and used without issue) on recreational bones is to use weight bearing ones only; to include beef shanks, lamb hocks, deer legs, etc. They don't contain the proper ratios of phosphorus/calcium to make a meal out of, but are perfectly sturdy for cleaning teeth and working jaws.

wobbles
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the input men. ;)

wrknapbt
01-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I can't find them anywhere locally and everyone I ask to point me in the right direction around town acts like they don't even know what I'm talking about. Is there some sort of secret code name for these mofo's or am I gonna have to go to the stockyard with a chainsaw? Just in case it comes down to that, it is the back leg of a cow right?

WTF!?!?!?! Where you following me thru the Meat market in DC? Because I had the same problem on Monday. I just broke down and asked for beef leg bones and sure enough they had them and cheap

wobbles
01-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Which is the shank bone? The Shoulder blade bone looks good to me, for the dog of course! lol

http://i44.tinypic.com/t6yt4z.jpg

Officially Retired
01-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Which is the shank bone? The Shoulder blade bone looks good to me, for the dog of course! lol

There are several different weight-bearing bones that could work, but technically the shank bone is this one:

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/cowskel.jpg

Jack

wobbles
01-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks! :D

nightryder
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
I just go to the local butcher they keep bags of bones for customers in there freezer for dogs or the local market in the frozen section where they keep bones.

AGK
02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the shank bones are the humerus bone in the front legs and the tibia & femur bones in the back legs.