PDA

View Full Version : Defects

Rolltidepride
03-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Does bushy tail...bobtail...or kink tail hurt performance

Kendall Hoyle
03-30-2016, 07:28 PM
These are defects,may, or may not, effect,performance, but do not breed this animal.

bulldoghistorian
03-30-2016, 10:40 PM
if bushy tail hurts performance I am in a load of trouble

Milehighmisfit
03-30-2016, 11:46 PM
These are defects,may, or may not, effect,performance, but do not breed this animal.

What, You wouldn't breed a good dog because of a bushy tail? You are kidding right?

Kendall Hoyle
03-31-2016, 01:59 PM
The truth is,I am not a breeder, nor have I ever, but if I was to start, and maintain a line, I would be extremely
Selective in my choices, I personally would not want bushy tailed dogs, I prefer a slick,water pump look, but this is
Just my humble option, I also would not breed a bobtail dog , that is a spinal defect, same thing with a kink tail.
If a bushy tail dog was a good dog, I would just realize and respect him as a good dog, but I would not breed him. The same could be said for a man biter.
Again this is my true and humble option, now, if we were to have the same conversation in two years from now it
It may be different, my best to you

Milehighmisfit
03-31-2016, 09:38 PM
The truth is,I am not a breeder, nor have I ever, but if I was to start, and maintain a line, I would be extremely
Selective in my choices, I personally would not want bushy tailed dogs, I prefer a slick,water pump look, but this is
Just my humble option, I also would not breed a bobtail dog , that is a spinal defect, same thing with a kink tail.
If a bushy tail dog was a good dog, I would just realize and respect him as a good dog, but I would not breed him. The same could be said for a man biter.
Again this is my true and humble option, now, if we were to have the same conversation in two years from now it
It may be different, my best to you

I respect your opinion and, like you, my views and opinions on things concerning the dogs is constantly changing and evolving, however I do not view a man biter and a bushy tailed dog in the same light what so ever. If I have a dog that can perform, has brains, stamina, durability, gameness etc and a bushy tail, he gets bred. If I have a dog that can perform but is a man biter, no thanks i'll pass. A man biter is a liability I don't want to deal with. I just don't think that a dog that will bite humans without good reason is a dog that should pass there genes forward. I don't have the resources to pass on a good dog with a good disposition that happens to have a bushy tail. Even if I don't prefer a bushy tail, I will take it if the rest of the package is there.

bulldoghistorian
04-01-2016, 06:13 AM
back in the 90's I met a fella he was also opposed to bushy tails , our conversation were cut short due to tragic events his name was tattoo
sometimes late I met his good friend and mentor captain , cap went on about bushy tails for some time , he was convinced they were not purebred and garbage
I have not heard from captain in ages , I am not sure he is even alive today

long story short , I disagree with the above , I consider it in the same category as gunpowder for dogs
I can understand that a certain build is preferable , I can even understand how a screw tail may be linked in previous studies with hemivertebrae

but I never heard any of them linked to a bulldog being a bulldog

Milehighmisfit
04-01-2016, 07:42 AM
back in the 90's I met a fella he was also opposed to bushy tails , our conversation were cut short due to tragic events his name was tattoo
sometimes late I met his good friend and mentor captain , cap went on about bushy tails for some time , he was convinced they were not purebred and garbage
I have not heard from captain in ages , I am not sure he is even alive today

long story short , I disagree with the above , I consider it in the same category as gunpowder for dogs
I can understand that a certain build is preferable , I can even understand how a screw tail may be linked in previous studies with hemivertebrae

but I never heard any of them linked to a bulldog being a bulldog

The dog in my avatar has a bit of a bushy tail and he is all bulldog :)

CYJ
04-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Just IMHO. Due to the many large dogs used back in the mid 70's to 80's/90's. The dogs moved from a Bull Terrier type of Pit dog to a more Bulldog type of Pit dog.

These larger bulldog types could handle longer tread mill work,pulling etc. than the smaller bull terrier type dogs could handle. Many areas that dog persons live today have a lack of space and privacy. Hence extra large round tables/swinging jenny/and private areas to walk a dog are not accessible to most. Why the tread mill and those electric dog walkers etc. have been used a lot. Smaller dogs cannot take a lot of mill work and need a balance of hand waking/easy jogging to better condition them.

Our original dogs were called Pit Bull Terriers, not Pit Bulldogs. You seldom see a very nice seal skin, rat tail Pit Bull terrier types today. I have no problem with what I call a balanced Colby type head backed up with a powerful Bull terrier body. Yielding a larger boned, deeper chested dog for the weight class ratio. This was more of the newer ADBA standard. A example of comparison would be some of Ca. Jacks dogs. Those little dogs I had off the Mayfield's Snake X my Young's Tina bitch were very similar in looks and type build. Except for color, my dogs had the Colby colors and one solid black dog.

When I moved to the Bully Son line etc. dogs jumped in size to a more Bulldog type looking dogs. That tail got bigger also, but not fuzzy. LOL Mayfield would not give me anymore access to breeding to the Snake dog or the Sunshine dog. Due to falling out with V.J.

Even though one seldom can get all of one's preference in the build type. I still liked a dog built like the Jimmy Boots dog/Garner's Dolly/Crenshaw's Rascal, even though these were bigger dogs. Yet still more Bull Terrier in looks and build type.I liked the looks of some of the old Komosinski/Ozzie Stevens dogs back then.

I know overall, dogs do not perform by just looks, yet I personally would never breed from or to a Pit Bull dog that has a big bushy tail or any other extreme body oddity that is not according to the older Bull Terrier standard. One of my reason being in today's times. Too many dog persons let bitches in heat stay on their chain. Instead of being put up ahead of time in a very secure brood pen off the ground. Even in my time in the dogs,had a few tell me no stray dog can breed this bitch,she is a killer. Yet ole fuzzy down the road gets a whiff of that bitch, will come a calling every time. Does a little fancy pacifist dance in front of that killer bitch. Ole Fuzzy will nail that killer bitch every time. Long gone before the owner has known what has happen. LOL

IMHO I still feel the over all better dogs that will perform the best are those bred and kept closer to the old American Pit Bull (Terrier) standard of Raplh Greenwood or Pete Sparks Terrier standard showed on his My friend and Yours magazine. Another example I like is the Corvino's Jerry dog. Excellent picture of this dog and it's pedigree in the pedigree listing. Cheers

Milehighmisfit
04-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Lol, well hopefully Mr. Hanmonds didn't sell me a half wild coyote/half bulldog mix lol!!! I will have to post a pick, and see if it is what you would call a bushy tail or just a little fuzzy lol. My heavier alligator bitch has the more traditional low hung skinny pump handle looking tail. Cheers

CYJ
04-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Ditto Mileshighmisfit. One of the popular lines in my area back in the mid 70's/80's was the William's Paladin dogs. Most of these dogs ran up into the upper 40 to catch weight dogs. The ones off the Paladin x Middleton's Black Betty bitch were smaller dogs and were well built dogs. I did have a really nice looking young Paladin bitch dog that was just to large for my liking. I called here my half grown black calf. I could feed three smaller dogs for what this bitch ate a day. LOL Gave her to a young dog man by the name of Marty Hill.

Marty had that Hill's Johnny dog, that was a brother/Sister breeding off Crenshaw's Jeep x Johnson's Rage bitch. Was plans if the bitch checked out at a later date, he wanted to cross the two lines. No longer am able to contact him, this bitch may have been stolen along with his two little bitches off V. Jackson's Tunney and my Young's Face bitch.

When the Paladin/Red Boy line and the Jocko/Red Boy line took off around here. The over all size of the match dogs went up a good bit. Many from 48 to 68 pound match dogs. Many matches were between these two lines in this area way back when. Later larger dogs were coming off Tant's line/Mr.Burn's line/ and M. Gainey's line along with the Powell's Termite line. Showing larger match weight dogs over all.

The last conversation I had with V.J. some months back. He told me that Mr. Fletcher Chavis told him that he never lost a match with his dogs to a Paladin dog. This is just what was said, would have to be backed up with some match stats. I am in no means bad mouthing the Paladin line as I saw some very good dogs bred off this famous stud dog.

Overtime I too saw how the game was changing in my area and was trying to breed up my own Creel-Bullyson-Art's Missy strain. I needed some larger dogs to hopefully compete. Many of the smaller dogs of 28 to say 35 pounds match size were not as plentiful. V.J. realized this as well and came to me to cross my newer stock into what was left of our smaller dogs of years back. At that time I did not know I would soon be out of the dogs and V.J. due to some serious personnel events did not know he would have to pack it up and move back to Texas.

My Young's Chuck was around 65 pounds on the Chain. The Paladin dog fat on the chain may have been heavier and even Bass Tramp Red Boy was around 65 pounds with the Kelley's Willie dog around the same size. Another line that produced larger dogs was the Joe Beal line. The bitch dog that was bred to V. Jackson's Hank was a family of larger dogs. The last cross Mr. Joe Beal made was off my Young's Chuck dog X Young's Amber bitch. Amber was a Joe Beal bred bitch producing Beal's Southern Johnny Reb. I gave this young dog to Mr. Beal.

Check out the picture of Foust's Sandman (Mr. Burn's Big Joe X Foust's Tabu) on the on lines pedigree site. Sitting on the chain at 80 pounds. But still a really nice looking Pit dog or should I say Pit Bulldog as Sandman was a Big Whooper of a size dog.. LOL Cheers

bigpopdog
04-02-2016, 11:40 AM
http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/bulldog_dogs_profile.php?dog_id=620

No Quarter Kennel
04-04-2016, 04:46 AM
A total package and complete evaluation of the animal is essential. If you are hitting 7-10 on a scale of 1-10 in most critical areas of what a bulldog is supposed to be, then a bushy tail isn't anything to consider.

We can all get carried away with breeding for complete completeness........it's hard to do. Breed the dog for the PURPOSE you choose and evaluate him based on how well he does that.

Milehighmisfit
04-04-2016, 12:03 PM
A total package and complete evaluation of the animal is essential. If you are hitting 7-10 on a scale of 1-10 in most critical areas of what a bulldog is supposed to be, then a bushy tail isn't anything to consider.

We can all get carried away with breeding for complete completeness........it's hard to do. Breed the dog for the PURPOSE you choose and evaluate him based on how well he does that.

Well said.

bossman311
09-16-2016, 07:39 PM

I agree.