PDA

View Full Version : Mill i built

LivewireT
03-26-2016, 06:26 AM
I used Lemm's Specs but made some enhancements tell me what u think livewireT@gmail.com

mrtsi
03-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Looks good, how does it spin? Do you have any video of it spinning?:-bd

LivewireT
03-26-2016, 12:48 PM
i don't yet because i'm still making adjustments it won't be extremely frees pinning because the belt is heavy 1/2 thick slats red oak at the customer's request

EWO
03-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Looks good. I just finished my first slat mill for the 4th, 5th maybe the 6th time.

I missed on the belt material the first time. I ordered some that was way thick and stiff. The mill turned OK but not near what I was expecting. I also missed on belt length. I was too short. Again, it turned OK but was nothing to write home about.

I went back to the drawing board. I hit up a member here and a guy that makes them down east in NC. I switched to a thinner PVC belt material and used a formula for belt length. It is now really free and much like what I was looking for at the start of the build.

Like the thread in the conditioning section, it is not as easy as it looks and at the same time it can be done. Off the top of my head I think I have about $250, $300 tops. $400-$450 if I count the mistakes and wrong materials. $750,000 in the "$0.25 curse jar".

EWO

When my son gets here tomorrow he will shoot a video. I will post it sometime tomorrow.

loot
03-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Where is a good place to buy inline skate wheels from. My mill has steel wheels and cant

loot
03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=loot;39069]Where is a good place to buy inline skate wheels from. My mill has steel wheels and cant take the noise anymore. Thanks

EWO
03-27-2016, 01:06 PM
I went on ebay and just scrolled and scrolled. I ended up going with skateboard wheels. I bought 60 for about a dollar a piece. They were discontinued.

I wish had went with inline type wheels. There is less running surface on the inline/rollerblade wheel. Less friction. Should be more free and maybe even more quiet.

I thought I would get a video done today but I did not get it done. Maybe tomorrow.

EWO

loot
03-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks EWO - I did that also I didn't see enough of the same wheels for sale. I want to them all the same.

EWO
03-27-2016, 03:37 PM
When you see one that has a set of 24 for sale shoot them an email. There is not a lot of orders for 50 or so of the same wheels when talking boards and skates so they do not advertise those big sets.

The wheels I bought were via an email to one of the ebay sellers.

EWO

loot
03-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks again, I found some on eBay with out the bearings. The person is trying to find the correct size bearings and 10 more wheels.

BLADE
03-28-2016, 09:03 AM
This is a great resource to buy conveyer wheels if you opt not to use skate wheels.

http://www.kornylak.com/

loot
04-05-2016, 07:03 AM
This is a great resource to buy conveyer wheels if you opt not to use skate wheels.

http://www.kornylak.com/

Thanks Blade the only problem is the wheel section isn't opening for me

BLADE
04-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks Blade the only problem is the wheel section isn't opening for me

I see that. I've had this site respond like this before when I tried to open it on my phone. Not sure if that matters or not? Anyway you can give them a call and order the 1 15/16" steel wheels with a 1/4" bore for 90 something cents apiece. Good luck!

loot
04-05-2016, 02:06 PM
I see that. I've had this site respond like this before when I tried to open it on my phone. Not sure if that matters or not? Anyway you can give them a call and order the 1 15/16" steel wheels with a 1/4" bore for 90 something cents apiece. Good luck!

Thanks again, I want to remove the steel wheels and replace them with inline wheels.

BLADE
04-05-2016, 06:23 PM
I gotcha. Well good luck with whichever you choose but this company also sales the same steel wheels that I mentioned above but it has a neoprene tire molded over it. Not sure if that's something your interested in but I figured I'd mention it.

EWO
04-19-2016, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZfCfHwMtU

It took forever to get a video made.

Turns really smooth. About 6 and half turns per hand pull. A lot better on the rebuild.

EWO

CYJ
05-23-2016, 06:12 PM
EWO, Mill looks well built and turns freely. Extra nice looking dog to boot. Always liked Black dogs and Red Smuts the most. My third choice was a Tiger Brindle or Tiger Red Brindle. Cheers

mrtsi
05-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Looks nice, good Job:-bd. How many hours do you think you put in to it? I'm thinking of making my own as well.

EWO
05-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Thousands. LOL.

I built it three times all together. I can make metal stick together but I won't call myself a welder. The first time I added too much heat and drew the frame on one end. I could not get the rollers to line up and it tracked one way with a lot of drag.

I took the mill apart, cut it in half and used braces/tack welds to keep it square while welding it together. A jig would be better but I do not build them for others, just to see if I could do it.

Third go around I switched to a thinner PVC belt and received some belt length calculations from a pro.

I work a young male on it every other day and the PVC is started to break in a little. It gets about 5-6 rotations with a hand pull. I may make a run at another but it will not be anytime soon as I have several projects in front of a new mill.

S

mrtsi
05-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Lol I had a feeling you were going to say hundreds or thousands. Seems to be the hour range for people that have never made one, I'll be joining the club soon. What type of belt would recommended? Is there a specific formula for the belt length and number of slats?

EWO
05-29-2016, 04:08 AM
Now it has a .050 PVC belt. Ebay. They are really cheap and the shipping is usually more than the belt material.

EWO