PDA

View Full Version : the right doses

scary
01-22-2012, 06:33 PM
My dog has a mild infection that penicillin injectable can deal with but i was out so i went to tsc and picked some up. Its 300,000 units per ml. Can anyone help me with the conversion thanks in advance.

Officially Retired
01-23-2012, 03:23 AM
My dog has a mild infection that penicillin injectable can deal with but i was out so i went to tsc and picked some up. Its 300,000 units per ml. Can anyone help me with the conversion thanks in advance.

You clearly don't have my book, or haven't read the Antibiotics section, as all of the drug dosages are already in there.

When you say your dog has "a mild infection," what does that mean exactly? A bladder infection? A wound infection? A dental infection?

Penicillin is not a cure-all, and it not the best choice for most infections. Communication is the key to understanding, and so far you haven't communicated enough information for me to have any real solid understanding of what you're talking about.

Describe the problem, and exactly what kind of "mild infection" you're talking about, and I will be able to help you better ;)

Jack

scary
01-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Its a small hole. That she got from hunting. I did your hot compress and all the other still got some puss coming out of it it has been about 3 days and every otherspot is fine exceptthis one q tip sized hole i have been using nature's magic wounds spray and once again they have all healed great except this one it is located on the inside leg i guess i would say were the leg meets the chest.

scary
01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Sorry jack you are correct i read over that section kinda quickly so you answered my question without directly doing so. Thanks again

Officially Retired
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
That is a tough spot, right at or near the armpit like that ... because if it's really deep it can escape even hot compresses.

I would be flushing with something other than my wound care, which is more for superficial wounds and not deep wounds. Like squirting straight Betadine in there 3x/day.

A drug like cephalexin at 3x day, properly dosed, would be what I would use ... or Clavamox ... but that penicillin is useless for that.

A good rule of thumb is, anytime you don't see progress within 3 days, or if it gets worse, your antibiotic choice isn't working.

The compresses are still good, but I would be squirting straight Betadine in there, and I would upgrade my antibiotics immediately.

Good luck,

Jack

scary
01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey thanks jack. I am a little ashamed that my stupidity was causing some neglect towards my dog. And i am sorry for asking you a question that you have answered in your book that was the hole point of me buying it. :oops:

Officially Retired
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
There is a lot of info in there bro, and hell I even forget some of what's in it too ... and I am the one who wrote it :D