PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for Jack

PureGrit
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a bitch that I want to clean out before I breed her. She has had mastitis in the past and was looking through the bible and it said to us (cephalexin). My question is she is 45 lbs, how much should I give her? I also could only find 250 mg of Fish Flex at my local feed store, do I just double up on it? Just want to make sure I got the dosage straight before I start treatment.

Officially Retired
01-26-2012, 03:23 AM
I have a bitch that I want to clean out before I breed her. She has had mastitis in the past and was looking through the bible and it said to us (cephalexin). My question is she is 45 lbs, how much should I give her? I also could only find 250 mg of Fish Flex at my local feed store, do I just double up on it? Just want to make sure I got the dosage straight before I start treatment.

I actually give the cephalexin before breeding them to remove of any possible vaginal infection that might affect the semen going in her; what I give to prevent mastitis is TMZ (trimethoprim-sulfa). I actually have a blog post on this subject called Management of the Stud and Brood Bitch (http://thepitbullbible.com/Blog/?p=253) that covers this in extreme detail.

Jack