PDA

View Full Version : Baker Davis

ceasar
02-03-2020, 05:49 AM
Lost a legend this morning. RIP Baker Davis.

Frank43
02-03-2020, 05:50 AM
damn that sucks. him a boomerang are probably back on a mill.

ceasar
02-03-2020, 06:32 AM
damn that sucks. him a boomerang are probably back on a mill. Ole Boom probably met him at the gate. Bulldogging through eternity.

Frank43
02-03-2020, 09:25 AM
yep. I watched that youtube video he has talking about boomerang and his offspring. He seemed like a good dude.

ceasar
02-03-2020, 11:35 AM
yep. I watched that youtube video he has talking about boomerang and his offspring. He seemed like a good dude. never seen it gonna have time look it up.

HLC219
02-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Bulldog In Peace

CYJ
02-15-2020, 08:29 PM
V.J. lived in Florida for a good while. Through him, I got to know Mr. Davis and his combine group of dog men. Mr. Davis was one of the first dog men of his time to bring the Carver dogs to the fore front. Mr. Davis set a different standard of conditioning from the older methods used by Mr. Teal and dog men of Mr. Teal's era.

Mr. Davis did not dry his dogs out and brought them in with some back on the dog. He liked the old Carver crosses to the Eli blood along with some Ed Crenshaw crosses as well. Mr. Davis along with J. Holcomb/ R. Hyde/ J. Crenshaw among others. Got in on the ground floor of obtaining those earliest breeding's that M. Carver made. These dogs had a inner strength like a dieseling engine with that low lugging power.

Mr. Davis' dogs were very powerful, hard mouth, foul type styles that took out a opponent dog fast. He took on some of the best dog men of his day and won many good matches. My condolences to his family.

Frank43
02-15-2020, 11:32 PM
V.J. lived in Florida for a good while. Through him, I got to know Mr. Davis and his combine group of dog men. Mr. Davis was one of the first dog men of his time to bring the Carver dogs to the fore front. Mr. Davis set a different standard of conditioning from the older methods used by Mr. Teal and dog men of Mr. Teal's era.

Mr. Davis did not dry his dogs out and brought them in with some back on the dog. He liked the old Carver crosses to the Eli blood along with some Ed Crenshaw crosses as well. Mr. Davis along with J. Holcomb/ R. Hyde/ J. Crenshaw among others. Got in on the ground floor of obtaining those earliest breeding's that M. Carver made. These dogs had a inner strength like a dieseling engine with that low lugging power.

Mr. Davis' dogs were very powerful, hard mouth, foul type styles that took out a opponent dog fast. He took on some of the best dog men of his day and won many good matches. My condolences to his family.

I don’t know if I agree with a lot of drying out and thinning down. I have cut weight before. I felt like shit and it was worst match I had been through. I cramped early and lost to a guy i was better than because i was weak and my back was locking up. I would have been better off staying in the higher division staying strong and hydrated. I would have liked to talk to him and mayfield.

EWO
02-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Drying is an art in itself.

It may be the biggest asset a dog can have when done correctly and accurately. When off by even a hair, things go south quick.

EWO

Frank43
02-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Drying is an art in itself.

It may be the biggest asset a dog can have when done correctly and accurately. When off by even a hair, things go south quick.

EWO

I bet.

CYJ
02-16-2020, 07:57 PM
Ditto EWO. You are right on. Mr. Teal knew how it was done and kept the strength in the dog. He did pull a dog tight and count on deep gameness to get through the long haul.

Mr. Davis and his combine group had a veterinarian that went to his dog shows. By observing exactly what went on in these show dog events. This Vet developed them a system that allowed a dog to perform wetter and having more back end. Maintaining great power and strength. Yet going at top speed and not running hot. How to save their dogs after a extra rough bout.

V.J. being good friends with the Florida boys. One being a Mr. Mc'Dougal, passed the info on to him. I have mentioned it on some of the other topics.

I have no know how on the correct way to naturally dry out a dog. It is probably to most a lost art. Atlas Brewer and maybe Lonzo Pratt back then besides those Mr. Teal taught. Knew how. Cheers

CYJ
02-16-2020, 08:36 PM
I had the privilege to drive Mr. Teal and Mr. Skinner to a dog show event in Georgia. Sadly was the one he later at the end of the show had a heart attack. I was a young fellow and the other dog men had observed me being with Mr. Teal and Mr. Skinner.

When I later went to the concession stand. Several unknown to me, dog men started buying my hot dog and soda drink. They were talking real smooth to me. Started asking me how Mr. Teal fed his dogs and how he brought them in tight,yet strong.

I told them how would I know,I am just their paid chauffeur. Boy, they parted from me like I had the plague. I hollered at them asking Heyyy, were is the hamburger you offered to buy me. LOL

I later told Mr. Teal and Mr. Skinner. They had a good laugh. Sadly Mr. Teal would not go to a local emergency hospital in that area. Made me drive him all the way back to Wades Borough N.C.

Mr. Teal's Heart Doctor was furious with him for not going to a emergency room hospital etc. A lot of unnecessary damage was done to his heart. He never fully recovered and passed not too long after that event. Hanging out with Mr. Teal and Mr. Skinner was more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

One thing Mr. Teal did teach me was how to make a proper type round table and it's correct set up. He also showed me how to work a dog on the round table the right way. The correct tell tale signs of when to take the dog off the table. He was a firm believer in hand walking a dog in the A.M. and after the table work.

He told me near his last days with the dogs. That he knew how to condition a dog. That his biggest problem was getting his hired walkers to properly walk out his dogs. He felt many were just going into the woods,sitting down some where for awhile and then come back.

Mr. Teal was more successful in the 50's 60's and 70's. A young dog man named Joe Adams helped him work and walk out his dogs. Adams also did the handling in the dog shows. Later on Rowell was a big help and probably was taught along with Adams. Mr. Teals conditioning keep. Cheers

EWO
02-17-2020, 05:49 AM
The round table creates a different dog. Mine was a little more free that I would have liked and not quite as large as I thought it should be, but it really delivered.

I have seen a ton of dogs have the mouth run off them with a free turning slat mill. The table turned as free, the dog moved as fluidly, but the mouth remained. granted there a lot of other factors involved, but the table seemed more like more natural movement.

DP learned me to dry one out naturally and although I have made some slight changes, it still proves true today.

In the big picture I would say a very large percentage of dogs who missed the keep, or blew hot, or looked like shit on show night, the true cause would be missing on water weight/water content.

Too wet or too dry, and the dog gets behind real fast and seldom recovers to come from behind.

Most today look at a picture and say, "Man that dog is in shape", a picture may be worth a thousand words and going off a picture will be the end of your thousand dollars. LOL

EWO

Frank43
02-17-2020, 08:26 AM
The round table creates a different dog. Mine was a little more free that I would have liked and not quite as large as I thought it should be, but it really delivered.

I have seen a ton of dogs have the mouth run off them with a free turning slat mill. The table turned as free, the dog moved as fluidly, but the mouth remained. granted there a lot of other factors involved, but the table seemed more like more natural movement.

DP learned me to dry one out naturally and although I have made some slight changes, it still proves true today.

In the big picture I would say a very large percentage of dogs who missed the keep, or blew hot, or looked like shit on show night, the true cause would be missing on water weight/water content.

Too wet or too dry, and the dog gets behind real fast and seldom recovers to come from behind.

Most today look at a picture and say, "Man that dog is in shape", a picture may be worth a thousand words and going off a picture will be the end of your thousand dollars. LOL

EWO

Thats hilarious.

Any plans or designs on them. What makes them so much better than a mill.

CYJ
03-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Frank43. The round table if not built large enough etc. Can be very inferior to one of these new type tread mills. If built right is the closest way to duplicate road work inside and not having to deal with bad weather days. Some dog men I knew had them for a backup.

Bobby Hall has a big super duper swinging Jenny and also a round table inside of a building. He used both. Mr. Gainey, Powell,and Rowell used them with excellent success.

Still if one owned a large fenced in piece of farm land. Natural road work is the over all best. Then the swinging Jenny is next, then the tread mill and round table.

No one knows what the weather will do day to day. So most Pro dog persons had all bases covered. I had a eighty foot long swinging Jenny that worked like a charm. Yet most dogs that I tried on it would not work it. Something that usually has to be instilled in the dog when young. Same with most tread mills. It has been raining down here now for days. Jenny would be of no use.

Yet with a proper set up round table. Have put pups on mine back then. They would start running it like it was the natural thing to do. Never had a grown dog that did not like to work my round table. Cheers

Frank43
03-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Sounds fun. I’d like to see one.

CYJ
05-23-2020, 04:44 PM
It is just a big padded solid plywood wheel. Laid flat and built on a strong spindle and bearing system. The main downfall of the round table is it can occupy a lot of space. Takes a thirty to forty foot area of enclosed space. One built 20 foot to maybe 24 foot circumference could be done with proper carpenter/mechanical skills. That would be the limit and 16 foot should be the smallest size. Mine was around 16 or 18 foot across. Worked very well for me.

One of the secrets is to set the over head pull area one foot forward from center of table Not dead center. Dog will run out in front and fall back to center. Dog should never run in the back of table. Cheers