PDA

View Full Version : raw food aggression?

goodblood
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
WHEN FEED RAW AS OPPOSED TO KIBBLE. WILL THEY'RE BE A DIFFERENCE IN EATING BEHAVIOR? GROWLING WE GETTING CLOSE TO FED , SNATCHING UP THE RAW MEAT A RUNNING WITH IT TRYING TO CONSUME IT QUICKLY. IS THIS CONSIDERED FOOD AGGRESSION? THANKS

Marooda
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Although Jack do explain in the PBB and show a demostration in the feeding raw DVD a little aggression when feeding raw ( in fact you can look it up on youtube), however, I have been feeding raw for a year now and I personally havn't had any problems with my Bulldogs showing aggression to me or my family, but each dog is different.

R2L
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
sry 2 hear, but never had a dog who showed any sign of food aggression on raw. i learned my dogs to respect me from the start, they can eat after i put the bowl and moved away. think that helps allot.

Officially Retired
01-30-2012, 03:09 PM
It depends on the dog.

Feeding raw chicken quarters is one thing, but handing a dog a dead animal is another. I can stick my hand in any of my dog's bowls, if I feed them kibble, and they don't care. I can give them a chicken quarter and they don't seem to care. But if I give them a dead rabbit, a whole animal kill, they don't seem to take too kindly to having me try to take it from them.

I remember when I used to give Stormbringer a shankbone, you couldn't come near his chain spot for about 2 hours. He'd flat-out get you and he wasn't joking. Any other time, he was as friendly as could be, and you could put your hand in his kibble dish. But if you gave him a bone, you'd better clear out of that chain spot as soon as he got it :lol:

Jack

evolutionkennels
01-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Agree with JAck again. It depends on the dog. Machobear, Machabear, Mr.Machobuck, Sharapova, Miss MAchobuck...I can take thier bone or a raw slab of meat. Super Machobuck doesnt take kind to me taking and raw beef from his bowl. I can stick my hand in his kibble , and even remove a bone or chicken quarter..just dont mess with his BEEF

Officially Retired
01-31-2012, 07:15 AM
just dont mess with his BEEF

:lol:

goodblood
01-31-2012, 07:29 AM
LOL GOOD STUFF GUYS. HELPFUL. I WAS TALKING WITH SOMEONE ABOUT THIS SAME SUBJECT WHOSE BEEN INTO DOGS NOW 3O YEARS AND HE CONSIDERS THAT TO BE SOME SIGN OF A MAN EATER AND SAID THAT SHOULDNT BE TOLERATED AND THEY SHOULD BE CULLED OUT. I DIDNT AGREE. IVE HAD SOME THAT WOULD SCREAM CRAZY AND NIP A MY HANDS WHILE BEING HELD WANTING TO BE RELEASE. SO I ASKED WOULD YOU CULL FOR THAT AS WELL?

HOGBIZ
01-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Red meat always causes more aggression then kibble. Deer season is just about wrapped up here and I quit going to the butcher because I got tired of all the shit talking between kennels on my yard. It just wasn't worth it.

Now culling because an animal will have an affinity for real food over processed food and taking the time to let you know it’s attraction to red meat… sounds like some good dogs may have been culled unnecessarily.

LOL GOOD STUFF GUYS. HELPFUL. I WAS TALKING WITH SOMEONE ABOUT THIS SAME SUBJECT WHOSE BEEN INTO DOGS NOW 3O YEARS AND HE CONSIDERS THAT TO BE SOME SIGN OF A MAN EATER AND SAID THAT SHOULDNT BE TOLERATED AND THEY SHOULD BE CULLED OUT. I DIDNT AGREE. IVE HAD SOME THAT WOULD SCREAM CRAZY AND NIP A MY HANDS WHILE BEING HELD WANTING TO BE RELEASE. SO I ASKED WOULD YOU CULL FOR THAT AS WELL?

Officially Retired
01-31-2012, 10:34 AM

I flat-out disagree with this person.

A true man-eater just LIKES attacking humans, unprovoked, and will go after ANY human it sees (except maybe its owner) and is a 100% danger to human beings.

A dog that is happy under every other conceivable circumstance, but is jealously guarding its own fresh, bloody kill is just being a dog. Every single creature on this earth needs "its own private space" for certain things, and I think it is disrespectful to a dog's BASIC NATURE to try to be pulling fresh, bloody kills from its mouth while it's eating them. (It is more than just disrespectful, it is stupid and unnecessary IMO.)

I for one think it's a whole lot more reasonable to just leave the damned dog alone, and let him enjoy his meal in privacy and peace, than it is to try to provoke a negative response out of the dog by yanking a kill out of its mouth ... and then to shoot the poor dog for doing what pretty much is the natural response any damned dog (with some pizzazz to his ass) would give when his very meal is snatched from him.

Getting rid of undesirable traits of needless aggression is one thing; being a total control freak and trying to make a dog devoid of any sense of self (and self-preservation) is quite another IMO.

Jack

R2L
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
I think it is disrespectful to a dog's BASIC NATURE to try to be pulling fresh, bloody kills from its mouth while it's eating them. (It is more than just disrespectful, it is stupid and unnecessary IMO.)

I for one think it's a whole lot more reasonable to just leave the damned dog alone, and let him enjoy his meal in privacy and peace, than it is to try to provoke a negative response out of the dog by yanking a kill out of its mouth ... and then to shoot the poor dog for doing what pretty much is the natural response any damned dog (with some pizzazz to his ass) would give when his very meal is snatched from him.

Getting rid of undesirable traits of needless aggression is one thing; being a total control freak and trying to make a dog devoid of any sense of self (and self-preservation) is quite another IMO.

Jack

this!!! couldn't agree more. although i do think it's important to let them respect you when you put down the bowl and don't let them attack the food half way, like i mentioned before. when they're pups its most easy to put them in their place. sometimes i stroke em a little bit after they start eating and then just leave and let them enjoy it. if you find it very important you can also learn them to chew stuff out of your hand. but there is no reason to take away food, or to battle them.

Officially Retired
02-01-2012, 04:23 AM
this!!! couldn't agree more. although i do think it's important to let them respect you when you put down the bowl and don't let them attack the food half way, like i mentioned before. when they're pups its most easy to put them in their place. sometimes i stroke em a little bit after they start eating and then just leave and let them enjoy it. if you find it very important you can also learn them to chew stuff out of your hand. but there is no reason to take away food, or to battle them.

Exactly.

Silverback (for example) won't try to take MY food away from me. And, in the house, if I catch him trying to take a scrap from the garbage or sneak a tidbit from the table, he will basically ball-up and take the ass-kicking that he is smart enough to know he deserves.

When I feed him and get a whole animal to do so, or a bowl of premium raw diet (tripe, livers, gizzards, etc.), Silverback is smart enough and obedient enough to wait for me to set it all down for him. But once I give it to him, and he perceives that these raw food items are now "his," at that point in his dog brain he was taken ownership of that meal ... it's HIS now ... and I'd better not f*** with it.

Really good dogs almost invariably have EGOS, and you have to respect your performance dog as an individual also, same as he respects you. Silverback knows I am the boss. He knows what to do, and what not to do, and he knows when his sneaky ass tried to break 'the rules' and take a little extra. If he breaks the rules and tries to grab some chicken out of the garbage, he will sull-up and take his ass-kicking, because he knows he deserves it. He is smart enough to know he broke the rules. He is also smart enough not to piss or shit in the house, and even if he gets sick and has to vomit, he is even smart enough to run into "the dog room" and go in a crate to vomit (rather than on the floor or couch). Silverback is likewise smart enough to know that, during really rough play, that he can play-bite my hands, my arms, etc. ... but he will never play-bite my face, ever, no matter how rough we play ... Silverback will "shut off" and only LICK my face, even if I stick my face up to his in the middle of really rough play. He is a highly-intelligent, highly-obedient, absolutely excellent house dog.

But once I give him a kill, he is also smart enough to know that it is HIS now, he has taken ownership of that kill and he is also a BULLDOG with an EGO that isn't going to let anything take what is HIS now. And I have to be smart enough as an owner to let him have his space, to let him eat in peace, rather than try to "fuck with him" and take back something that he really wants. That isn't proper training of a dog; it isn't a necessary thing to do either. All doing something like that is, is trying to break a dog's spirit and punk him out totally. And I for one refuse to do that to ANY dog, especially a truly superior dog like Silverback, who has a HUGE ego, and who gives ME all the respect in the world in everything I ask of him. Like I said, snatching your dog's deserved food from his mouth, while he's eating it, is basically not respecting your dog as an individual. Silverback 100% knows I am the boss. He 100% will submit to any ass-kicking he deserves for being a sneak when it comes to food. He knows enough never to piss or shit in the house. He knows enough never to play-bite my face, under any circumstance, no matter how rough we play, and he never does. But I also make sure that I respect him, and his ego, for the Alpha Male that he is in his heart.

Because he is smart enough, and bulldog enough, to know when something is HIS and he damned sure isn't going to let me, or anything else, take it from him either. And so I likewise try never to cross the line with Silverback, to give him his space and never to scold him for no reason, never to take the food out of his mouth, etc. That isn't "training" a dog IMO, that is being a control-freak, and then administering abusive bullshit punishment that the dog really didn't deserve. Hell, he is a CARNIVORE that needs to be left alone so he can eat and enjoy his "kill." And I for one try to treat my dogs with the respect they deserve, to feed them the very best primal ingredients I can, to scold them when it's necessary, but also to step back out of their way and let them savor what they enjoy most (a kill) in peace.

Jack

BIGFLA73
02-01-2012, 06:00 AM
WHAT'S FUNNY IS I WILL "FUCK "YOU UP IF YOU BOTHER MY FOOD SO WHY WOULD YOU THINK A DOG WOULDN'T ... YOU WANT TO EAT IN PEACE SO RESPECT THEM AND LET THEM DO THE SAME THING ....

HOGBIZ
02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Got a few like that myself Jack. Sounds like you really love that dog. Good read.

Exactly.

Silverback (for example) won't try to take MY food away from me. And, in the house, if I catch him trying to take a scrap from the garbage or sneak a tidbit from the table, he will basically ball-up and take the ass-kicking that he is smart enough to know he deserves.

When I feed him and get a whole animal to do so, or a bowl of premium raw diet (tripe, livers, gizzards, etc.), Silverback is smart enough and obedient enough to wait for me to set it all down for him. But once I give it to him, and he perceives that these raw food items are now "his," at that point in his dog brain he was taken ownership of that meal ... it's HIS now ... and I'd better not f*** with it.

Really good dogs almost invariably have EGOS, and you have to respect your performance dog as an individual also, same as he respects you. Silverback knows I am the boss. He knows what to do, and what not to do, and he knows when his sneaky ass tried to break 'the rules' and take a little extra. If he breaks the rules and tries to grab some chicken out of the garbage, he will sull-up and take his ass-kicking, because he knows he deserves it. He is smart enough to know he broke the rules. He is also smart enough not to piss or shit in the house, and even if he gets sick and has to vomit, he is even smart enough to run into "the dog room" and go in a crate to vomit (rather than on the floor or couch). Silverback is likewise smart enough to know that, during really rough play, that he can play-bite my hands, my arms, etc. ... but he will never play-bite my face, ever, no matter how rough we play ... Silverback will "shut off" and only LICK my face, even if I stick my face up to his in the middle of really rough play. He is a highly-intelligent, highly-obedient, absolutely excellent house dog.

But once I give him a kill, he is also smart enough to know that it is HIS now, he has taken ownership of that kill and he is also a BULLDOG with an EGO that isn't going to let anything take what is HIS now. And I have to be smart enough as an owner to let him have his space, to let him eat in peace, rather than try to "fuck with him" and take back something that he really wants. That isn't proper training of a dog; it isn't a necessary thing to do either. All doing something like that is, is trying to break a dog's spirit and punk him out totally. And I for one refuse to do that to ANY dog, especially a truly superior dog like Silverback, who has a HUGE ego, and who gives ME all the respect in the world in everything I ask of him. Like I said, snatching your dog's deserved food from his mouth, while he's eating it, is basically not respecting your dog as an individual. Silverback 100% knows I am the boss. He 100% will submit to any ass-kicking he deserves for being a sneak when it comes to food. He knows enough never to piss or shit in the house. He knows enough never to play-bite my face, under any circumstance, no matter how rough we play, and he never does. But I also make sure that I respect him, and his ego, for the Alpha Male that he is in his heart.

Because he is smart enough, and bulldog enough, to know when something is HIS and he damned sure isn't going to let me, or anything else, take it from him either. And so I likewise try never to cross the line with Silverback, to give him his space and never to scold him for no reason, never to take the food out of his mouth, etc. That isn't "training" a dog IMO, that is being a control-freak, and then administering abusive bullshit punishment that the dog really didn't deserve. Hell, he is a CARNIVORE that needs to be left alone so he can eat and enjoy his "kill." And I for one try to treat my dogs with the respect they deserve, to feed them the very best primal ingredients I can, to scold them when it's necessary, but also to step back out of their way and let them savor what they enjoy most (a kill) in peace.

Jack

Officially Retired
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
WHAT'S FUNNY IS I WILL "FUCK "YOU UP IF YOU BOTHER MY FOOD SO WHY WOULD YOU THINK A DOG WOULDN'T ... YOU WANT TO EAT IN PEACE SO RESPECT THEM AND LET THEM DO THE SAME THING ....

That is pretty much exactly the point, expressed in few words :)

Got a few like that myself Jack. Sounds like you really love that dog. Good read.

Thanks Hogbiz. You're right, I do love this (getting-)old dog, and I try to treat all my dogs the same way. Nice to have dogs like that, isn't it?

Jack

tirofijo04
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Jack,

I have a dog just like Silverback, she is by far the smartest dog I have ever have had the pleasure to be around, I think the only thing that she needs is to speak to me. When we play no matter how rough or wild she gets once I say stop, she stops, no questions asked. I watch her play with my daughter and she plays with her completely different than when she plays with me, her enthusiasm is the same as if she was playing with me but she is gentler with my daughter. I have had the pleasure to be around some good dogs in my time, but I can honestly tell you this bitch is by far the most balance dog I have ever had the luck to have.
I know this topic was about raw food aggression but when I read how you and Silverback play I began thinking about mine. ;)

TIROFIJO..

Officially Retired
02-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Sounds like you really care for and enjoy your dog too :)

Nice to see other folks enjoying their dogs for something besides crash test dummies, LOL

YigYang
02-08-2012, 11:03 AM
My dogs do the same thing.
When i bring it in to him or her, its already in their bowl but when i lay it down and they start to eat, you cannot come close.
My dogs will either stuff it all in there mouths until you get back, or growl and become very aggresive around there raw feed. So all i do is feed em, and leave them alone.

I willl post a vid soon, to show you

classic pitbull
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Good perspective everyone.
When I started feeding my pup raw about 4 months old, I would always make her sit and stay before chowing down. I would also pet her while eating and not once has she growled or acted aggressive over her food.
Now, at 6 months old I feel that she trusts me with anything. I can take her favorite beef bone/chicken drumstick right out of her mouth and she'll just happily tail whip me until I give it up, with no signs of aggression.
Now, if it's another dog trying to get close to her food, stay away. :lol: