PDA

View Full Version : Fish as a protein source?

QCK23
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
When reading about raw diets I have never seen fish used as a protein source, I'm sure one reason would be its low fat percentage but it is rich in oils....I sometimes get great deals on cod or talapia fillets but wondered if there was any reason we couldn't use fish as a change up in the raw diet as a protein source...is there a higher risk of parasites, allergies, etc. or any other reason not to feed fish?

R2L
02-01-2012, 01:27 AM
dog's ain't fish eaters,some are a good omega fat source though, feed it no more then once, max twice a week.
few other tips for who mind

-skip the white fish, they r low on omega 3
-make sure fresh water fish and salmon gets frozen for at least 10 days, to kill the parasites, before you feed it to your dogs.
-give it whole and raw, dont cook it up, makes the "bones" to hard and more dangerous
-when feeding real fat fish like makrel, add it to some meat or give small portions, to much at once can make em puke or give them diarrhea ... hell had to wash my dogs pillow for at least 3 times on 90 degrees celcius before i got the smell out a little bit :mrgreen: