PDA

View Full Version : Cancer?

Dillinger
02-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Just had an older male (10 years old) diagnosed with terminal throat cancer. He's never been bred so I was thinking about collecting some semen and keeping it on ice for a younger bitch that I have. The vet said it was a bad idea because the cancer could be hereditary. Not sure what type of cancer it is as the wife spoke to the vet. Is cancer in dogs genetic or caused by various exposures? He's a good dog, but if cancer is genetic then would be collecting the semen just continue the cancer threat? None of his surviving siblings (2) have been diagnosed with it. Anybody with experience dealing with this? Thanks.

Officially Retired
02-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Just had an older male (10 years old) diagnosed with terminal throat cancer. He's never been bred so I was thinking about collecting some semen and keeping it on ice for a younger bitch that I have. The vet said it was a bad idea because the cancer could be hereditary. Not sure what type of cancer it is as the wife spoke to the vet. Is cancer in dogs genetic or caused by various exposures? He's a good dog, but if cancer is genetic then would be collecting the semen just continue the cancer threat? None of his surviving siblings (2) have been diagnosed with it. Anybody with experience dealing with this? Thanks.

Your vet's a retard.

First of all, cancer is the #1 cause of death in all dogs, across the board, and a dog's gotta die of something.

Secondly, dying at 10 years of age isn't that big of a deal. Hell my Miss Trinx died of cancer at 5, but I am sure glad I bred her to Ch Hammer before she passed, as I wouldn't have this fabulous bloodline if I didn't. Hell for that matter, Hollingsworth's Lady In Red died of cancer at age 7, and there are plenty of dogmen who are glad Hollingsworth built the line he did off of that old cancer-ridden bitch, because she and her get sure changed history. Oh, and before that Patrick's Little Tater died of cancer at 3, and he sired Gr Ch Buck too, but I'll bet those who run the Buck / Lady In Red dogs are awfully glad Pat bred to Little Tater's cancerous ass before he did die. (Can you imagine how many great dogs, and great bloodlines, wouldn't exist with out Buck and Lady In Red?)

Anyway, my advice is that you ignore your retard vet---tell him to stick to giving puppy shots and taking temperatures---and leave breeding advice to breeders. That said, if you want to listen to some legitimately-experienced advice on the subject of avoiding cancer, take mine, and make sure you feed your dogs the raw diet I recommend, for their whole lives, and they will live longer.

Word.

Jack

Dillinger
02-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Jack,
Thanks. That's what I thought, but the vet got the wifey all nuts. And you know how that can get. And of course this is one of the reasons that I detest most vets. Appreciate the quick response. Keep up the good work here.

Officially Retired
02-02-2012, 05:24 AM
You're welcome sir.

That is exactly what vets do: try to get you NOT to breed your dogs.

Hell my vet told me I should "spay" Dirty Hammer too ... that is their answer to everything related to pit bulls: spay/neuter/put down.

Good luck with your male, and I am sorry he has cancer, that sucks I know :cry:

Ramsaidh
04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Dillinger,
Hope you collected your male. I lost my male in Dec, skin cancer. Tumor was the size of softball. We got lucky, bred him once about a 14 months before we lost him. Got 5 awesome pups out of him. Good luck.