PDA

View Full Version : recovery time

DROPZONE
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Read this topic on another board. Wanted to hear other people opinion on the subject . What is good recovery time after you get yourhound hot during a workout?

R2L
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
differs for every dog, genetically, the condition the dog is in at the moment, temperature, the work that's put on the dog, ect

u might enjoy this read http://www.freewebs.com/originalbloodli ... m%20Jr.htm (http://www.freewebs.com/originalbloodlinekennels/Millmaker%27s%20Maximum%20Stress%20by%20Robert%20L emm%20Jr.htm)

Officially Retired
02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Read this topic on another board. Wanted to hear other people opinion on the subject . What is good recovery time after you get yourhound hot during a workout?

It depends on the dog, but as a general rule when your dog is really tired, he will break stride and trot. At that point, you watch his breathing as he's trotting, and as soon as he goes from having his tongue hanging out gasping/laboring, and pulls it back a little to go down to more normal panting, you begin the hard work again ... repeat.

DROPZONE
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
You just gave someone a solid foundation for a keep Jack ;)

Officially Retired
02-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Yep ;)

BulldogConnection
02-04-2012, 11:08 AM

It depends on the dog, but as a general rule when your dog is really tired, he will break stride and trot. At that point, you watch his breathing as he's trotting, and as soon as he goes from having his tongue hanging out gasping/laboring, and pulls it back a little to go down to more normal panting, you begin the hard work again ... repeat.

Lemm demonstrates this beautifully in his keep tape.

dtakennels
02-05-2012, 04:17 AM

Lemm demonstrates this beautifully in his keep tape.

I had 1 big problem with Lemm on that tape...He leaves the room with the dog on the mill....That is a huge No No in my book...You never leave your dog on a mill or any working device unattended...

R2L
02-05-2012, 04:43 AM
he's standing around the corner man, all ears.... lol

dtakennels
02-05-2012, 05:10 AM
he's standing around the corner man, all ears.... lol

Hey you can do it then but I am staying in the room with my dog...It only takes a second to ruin a dog...

Hell I thought that was just common sense that you never leave the dog when running on a mill....Of course I am not the great Lemm and all those Champs and GrandChamps he worked.... 8-)

OGDOGG
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Recovery time will decrease as the keep progress. Ive seen dogs recover in 5 minutes, 10 minutes, even 30 minutes. Near the end of my keeps it doesn't matter if the recovery time is long or short but as long as its shorter than from the beginning. Some dogs work harder than others so theres really no set recovery time. All I know is that working out and being in the box are not the same. They could and should run hot all they want during a keep but come show time they shouldn't run hot at all.

TopShelfKennels
05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Recovery time is something that is measures during a controlled and timed workout. It can not be measured in the [] unless your setting the temperature and establishing the pace of the entire event, none of which can be controlled during our sport. The pace is determined by the two competitors and the levels constantly change, although a dog may recover during his workouts, it means very little in the []. They are not guaranteed breaks and do not have the ability to control the pace the opponent sets, so a dog that is recovering great during his workouts, can still blow hot in 5 minutes in the []. My suggestion is to work as hard as you can for as long as you can, because that's exactly what your charge is going to do. In the []. JMO

bolero
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey you can do it then but I am staying in the room with my dog...It only takes a second to ruin a dog...

Hell I thought that was just common sense that you never leave the dog when running on a mill....Of course I am not the great Lemm and all those Champs and GrandChamps he worked.... 8-)
being in the room will not stop a dog from hurting himself but i will help u to quickly help him when people say dont leave a dog they generally mean don put them on the mill then go out to the store or the bar

bolero
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
if if a dog runs hot in keep he will run hot in the box if he does not run hot in keep then runs hot in the contest then other factors have caused that not conditioning

EWO
11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
It may be a play on words but there is a difference between running hot and recovery. Running hot is a lot more serious of a condition that getting tired from working out and making a recovery. Recovery is the true mark of conditioning, and that pretty much covers all sports endeavors, the dogs no different. The idea is to push them to the tired point, just short of running hot, watching the recovery and then doing the same again. The idea is to mark times between length of effort, recovery and length of effort. For numbers sake and just for easy math the dog is an all out blur for five minutes, breaks and recovers in two minutes then goes all out again for four more minutes. Next week he should maybe go all out for six minutes, recover in less than two and then go again for five. Over time the periods of all out work will lengthen and the recovery time will shorten. Meaning he will be able to deliver the mail longer than his counterpart, and when he breaks to recover he will not have to have the mail delivered to him for very long. So recovery time and running hot are two completely different items. EWO