PDA

View Full Version : Dark urine

BME
12-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I got a 17 month old male that his urine is dark colored. Blood work is neg. for babesia and other blood ailments. I was feeding Extreme Athelete up until Tuesday but have since switched to raw. Could someone please tell me what else could be going on with him. Thanks in advance

Officially Retired
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I got a 17 month old male that his urine is dark colored. Blood work is neg. for babesia and other blood ailments. I was feeding Extreme Athelete up until Tuesday but have since switched to raw. Could someone please tell me what else could be going on with him. Thanks in advance

What are the ingredients of Extreme Athlete, and does your dog drink a high amount of water?

Could be dehydrated ...

Jack

BME
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Jack, thanks for such a quick response. Ingredients are chicken meal,chicken,chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols),egg product,cracked pearled barley,powdered cellulose,dried beet pulp,flaxseed,natural chicken flavor,fish meal,potassiumchloride,salt,choline chloride,glucosamine hydrochloride,vitamin E supplement,iron proteinate,zinc proteinate,copper proteinate,ferrous sulfate,zinc sulfate,copper sulfate,potassium iodide,thiamine mononitrate(vitamin B1), manganese proteinate,manganous oxide,chondroitin sulfate,ascorbic acid,vitamin A supplement,biotin,niacin,calcium pantothenate,manganese sulfate,sodium selenite,pyridoxine hydrochloride(vitamin B6),vitamin B12 supplement,riboflavin (vitamin B2),vitamin D supplement, and folic acid. He drinks normal amount .

Officially Retired
12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you.

Can you post your raw diet, let me know how long you've made the switch, and tell me if you've noticed a difference yet or not?

Jack

BME
12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
I using your diet . I started him on it Tuesday and I haven't noticed a change yet , but I will let you know the second I do. Should I have noticed something this soon?

AL Clown
12-24-2011, 03:09 AM
Are you working him?

Officially Retired
12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I using your diet . I started him on it Tuesday and I haven't noticed a change yet , but I will let you know the second I do. Should I have noticed something this soon?

That all depends on the cause.

For example, if I drink too much coffee (and don't hydrate myself with other fluids), I will piss brown too :lol:

But if I eat sensibly thereafter, and have a good fruit/vegetable drink + other fluids, I will be back to normal in no time.

Jack

BME
12-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Happy Holidays Everyone, first I would like to thank everyone for the responses but there is no change as of today. Al Clown too answer your question no he's not working. Had a serious infection in face that penicillin would not correct. Vet give anirode or something like that. I'll check to make sure. Gave 2 pills a day for 7 maybe 10 days. Infection clears up and he fine for a few weeks then he just looked off and gums were pale urine dark . Off to Vet for Babesia test. Test comes back neg Vet sugests worms but I know better. I purchase Droncit Plus tabs anyway but no improvement. Vet calls to check on him a week later I tell him no change He recomends Rebound for hydration I tell him he is not dry. I change to raw Tuesday today is Christmas and no change that I can tell. Will have the coffee good and hot when Vet arrives in the MORNING.

Officially Retired
12-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Happy Holidays Everyone, first I would like to thank everyone for the responses but there is no change as of today. Al Clown too answer your question no he's not working. Had a serious infection in face that penicillin would not correct. Vet give anirode or something like that. I'll check to make sure. Gave 2 pills a day for 7 maybe 10 days. Infection clears up and he fine for a few weeks then he just looked off and gums were pale urine dark . Off to Vet for Babesia test. Test comes back neg Vet sugests worms but I know better. I purchase Droncit Plus tabs anyway but no improvement. Vet calls to check on him a week later I tell him no change He recomends Rebound for hydration I tell him he is not dry. I change to raw Tuesday today is Christmas and no change that I can tell. Will have the coffee good and hot when Vet arrives in the MORNING.

How did your vet check for babesia, exactly? By titer or by DNA?

I ask this because many titer checks come out "negative" ... but when re-checked with a DNA profile, the babesia is then found. If you have any additional questions, you can also contact Dr. Adam Birkenheuer at the University of North Carolina Veterinary School for the most up-to-date information, and as a matter of fact your vet could send another blood sample directly to Dr. Birkenheuer for analysis.

What is your dog's blood count?

Jack

BME
12-26-2011, 01:08 PM
A snap 4DX test in the office

Officially Retired
12-27-2011, 01:34 AM
A snap 4DX test in the office

I would not trust that result.

A vet has to send out the titer to some sort of lab for analysis, and (because babesia can be hard to spot on a slide) a DNA analysis is recommended by the experts.

I would send the sample to Birkenheuer myself ...

Jack

BME
12-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you Jack for the info . It's good to know that there are still some helpful people out there. Once again, THANK YOU and have a blessed NEW YEAR

BME
12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I'll get the sample sent off in the morning.

Officially Retired
12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Well, good luck to you.

I did a full write-up (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106) on babesia, and you can read it and see if your dog sounds like he has it or not.

Let us know what the vet says,

Jack