PDA

View Full Version : luxating patella grade 2

Chuy
02-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Looking for any and all information on this subject. I have a young male (10 months), just found out two weeks ago from my vet this is what he has. To be honest I'm not sure what to do, looking for second opinions thanks.

Officially Retired
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Hammer dogs tend to get this also, specifically in the left rear knee.

This might not be a popular opinion with vets or conformation folks, but my own view would be that the dog just has a little more work to do to win :mrgreen:

Ch Hammer actually carried several structural faults, but it still didn't prevent him from whipping and curring-out dogs with better conformation 8-)

IMO, the worst conformation fault at all is not conforming to the APBT standard of gameness ...

Jack

Chuy
02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
I agree with you..some what, I think I'm more worried about hurting him in the long run. I am very active in weight pulling and feel that an injury or genetic defect of this matter would only hold him back and most likely make it worse? besides surgery is there anything else that can be done?

Officially Retired
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
For actual weight-pulling, that might be a true sport-preventing defect, but in "other" sports the problem can be overcome with gameness and learning to work off the bottom.
Straight weight-pulling, however, is another matter entirely.

Jack

Chuy
02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks...

R2L
02-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I don't know what's each degree exactly out of my head but you should be really careful putting an animal with PL in the ring. Some luxate very easily and don;t shoot back out it self. The dog can have gameness all he want but all he has left then is 3 legs. I guess your dogs Jack didnt have such bad degree, just a little loose patella's. With something worse then that i personally would never do any sport nor breed the dog cause its a genetic fault. If u still want to do WP the dog make sure the surrounding muscles are very strong.

R2L
02-04-2012, 02:26 AM
translated for u

grade 1
The kneecap can luxate: With a stretched leg its possible to move the kneecap by hand. and when moved back to normal mode it automatically shoots the kneecap back in the right position
grade 2
With this grade the pattella regularly shoots of and stays luxated for a longer or shorter time
By regularly on and off shoot of the patella caused osteoarthritis and cartilage flattening of the slot.

!!

from grade 3 it stays off, when u put it back it shoots back out

Officially Retired
02-04-2012, 03:33 AM
I don't know what's each degree exactly out of my head but you should be really careful putting an animal with PL in the ring. Some luxate very easily and don;t shoot back out it self. The dog can have gameness all he want but all he has left then is 3 legs. I guess your dogs Jack didnt have such bad degree, just a little loose patella's. With something worse then that i personally would never do any sport nor breed the dog cause its a genetic fault. If u still want to do WP the dog make sure the surrounding muscles are very strong.

Actually, Ch Hammer had hip dysplasia too. Hammer was considered a "low ability" dog because he was always on the bottom. The truth is, Ch Hammer was an unbelievably-tough, unbelievably-smart dog who figured out how to adjust to his handicap ... nullify from the bottom anything his opponents tried to do to him ... and who would always turn things around and stop them in the end. His last victory was over Lou Lewis' Chainsaw in 1:58 (I'll let you guess as to how the dog earned his name).

So, yes, in a way Ch Hammer compromised the otherwise great structure of the Hollingsworth bitch I had in Trinx, but he added a level of toughness and intelligence that the Hollingsworth dogs never had themselves. I have tried to select for the most athletic dogs out of my stock, and so the problem is almost non-existent in my line anymore, especially via Silverback who actually has the most powerful backend and hip structure of any dog I have ever owned ... and, in the exact opposite fashion of Ch Hammer, Silverback has never been down once, he is such a capable athlete and wrestler.

Jack

R2L
02-04-2012, 03:43 AM
I see why you bred that dog :D I guess we can say you're and expert in breeding bulldogs and/so you did very well.

Officially Retired
02-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks.

Like all of us, I gained my expertise through many years ... of many trials and many errors ... and just hung in there like a bulldog :mrgreen:

LEFTLANE
02-25-2015, 11:04 AM
I also have seen a lot of dogs with luxating patella, my question is, is it dominant? Sure seems to be with my experience. With out crossing being the most helpful way to get rid of it

S_B
02-26-2015, 06:09 AM
Is luxating patella the same thing as slipped hock?

arsuffi@att.net
02-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Hammer dogs tend to get this also, specifically in the left rear knee.

This might not be a popular opinion with vets or conformation folks, but my own view would be that the dog just has a little more work to do to win :mrgreen:

Ch Hammer actually carried several structural faults, but it still didn't prevent him from whipping and curring-out dogs with better conformation 8-)

IMO, the worst conformation fault at all is not conforming to the APBT standard of gameness ...

JackIF memory serves me and somebody can correct me if I am wrong ASHTON'SH. BUTCH won over S.T.P.'S CH. GOLDEN BOY had a bum back leg really never could be conditioned and won all his on the standard of gameness. Johnny

Officially Retired
02-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Untouchable's Ch Chewy, 9xW did likewise ... she couldn't even run the mill ... but she could kill 9 dogs in a row, including at least 2 Champions.

scratchin dog
02-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Is luxating patella the same thing as slipped hock?

A luxating patella is the knee joint which moves out of its natural position. Slipping hocks are hock joints which don't have connective tissue strong enough to hold the hock in place. The hocks move forward or even out to the side when the dog moves. Even with just slight movement they can pop forward.

S_B
02-26-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.geocities.ws/highoutputkennels/conformationdog.jpg

Thank you Scratchin Dog, I should have done a quick search before I asked. :D
So the patella is what this diagram is calling a stifle joint correct?

What I've seen in bulldogs is them being slip hocked I don't believe I've ever seen a luxating patella in this breed.

S_B

LEFTLANE
02-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Luxating patella effects the position the legs is in, and it effects the hock. I will try to post some pics later.

scratchin dog
02-26-2015, 02:32 PM
http://www.geocities.ws/highoutputkennels/conformationdog.jpg

Thank you Scratchin Dog, I should have done a quick search before I asked. :D
So the patella is what this diagram is calling a stifle joint correct?

What I've seen in bulldogs is them being slip hocked I don't believe I've ever seen a luxating patella in this breed.

S_B

You're welcome.

Yes, the knee (patella) is at the stifle joint. Slipped hocks also seem to be more common in the Pit Bull. They can affect one or both back legs.
Here's a pic showing a slipped hock. You can see where the dogs hock on the right back leg is slipping forward making the dogs leg straighten out.

MISTER
02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Ch Attila sired by grch Lukane had a bum rear leg yet he won 3 never being put on his back. If memory serves me correct his mother injured him as a pup tho not the patella issue being discussed...

CYJ
02-26-2015, 06:43 PM
I have seen this in some of the tighter bred Dibo strains of dogs. My little Sally bitch that carried a lot of the Maloney breeding had no flex in the back leg . Was glad she did not throw it in the pups I got off her. Sure it could crop up in any strain of dogs. The opposite scenario of this, is a dog being cow hocked in the back legs.

Either way in a hard match against a equal dog that can push and drive hard. These type dogs can break down in the back end and not be able to stay on their feet. Will effect their over all balance. Cheers